Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 6.5" component speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 6.5" component speaker install

Well the story is that I had some 6.5" components from my last car, and since I really liked the sound of them I decided to find a way to mount them in the 951. I couldn't find much info on here so thought I would share my design in case others are looking to do the same.

First thing I did was make a cardboard template for the outline of the mounting plate. The depth of these woofers is around 1.75" so I calculated that I would need a 3/4" thick plate for the magnets to clear the window. Also, for the area where the door overlaps the side of the dash, the plate is recessed down to 1/4" thick so that the door will close. Then I spent some time finding the right location for the speaker cutout - took some trial and error as the window motor makes it a tight fit.

After I had the template made, I put it in position and cut out the door card material inside of the speaker cutout. This will then expose where the door metal needs to be cut as well. A shorty hacksaw works well on the door sheet metal. I didn't bother reinforcing the door metal because it will be stabile once the mounting plate is bolted to the door.

To make the mounting plate, I used 3/4" baltic birch plywood, and chamfered the edges. The corners on the bottom are rounded to fit inside the door cubby. Also, I plan to countersink and epoxy the bolts into the mounting plate, as well as paint it black.. just haven't got around to it yet.

To mount the plate, I figured out the locations where there was sheet metal to bolt through and marked the holes on the mounting plate. I then drilled the holes in the plate, put it in position on the door and drilled through the plate holes and through the door metal. The bolts are held on with locknuts on the inside of the door.

For the tweeter, I didn't have any mounting hardware so I just cut a hole and epoxied them to the door card. And the crossover just sits in the door cubby.. couldn't really find a better place to put them. I have the amp mounted in the spare tire well and was planning to add a sub, but decided that I really don't need it. The woofers put out some serious bass and anything more would just rattle stuff loose! Also, I disconnected the old stock rear speakers and have no plans on replacing them. If you have a good set of components in the front, the rears are just redundant.
Attached Images    
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks pretty beefy
Old 07-26-2009, 11:15 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

looks good, but to finish it off you should also wrap the mounting plates in vinyl
Old 07-26-2009, 11:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

that looks mighty substantial

nice work
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 AM
ejsaenz
Pro

You may want to hide the crossover under the dash out of the way and just run wires to the tweeter and midbass driver thru the rubber boot. Keeps them out of sight and damage. Looks pretty good. +1 on the vinyl wrap, and maybe grille covers. Nice work!

I don't know how big the amp you have is, but I put two amps on a plywood base that i cut to fit in the driver's side cubby. Made the wiring chore a bit easier for me that way and the way my amps are laid out, I can adjust levels easily.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 AM
supes6
Racer

Originally Posted by ejsaenz
You may want to hide the crossover under the dash out of the way and just run wires to the tweeter and midbass driver thru the rubber boot. Keeps them out of sight and damage. Looks pretty good. +1 on the vinyl wrap, and maybe grille covers. Nice work!

I don't know how big the amp you have is, but I put two amps on a plywood base that i cut to fit in the driver's side cubby. Made the wiring chore a bit easier for me that way and the way my amps are laid out, I can adjust levels easily.
Thanks.. yeah I had thought about mounting the crossover in the dash but it would have complicated the wiring, plus I used really thick speaker cable and barely had room for just the one wire as it was. I might go to a bit thinner cable and clean it up when I have time. The grille covers I ordered were supposed to be 6.5" but measured out to 7", so I'm still trying to find some that fit. I was planning to paint them but I may look into the vinyl wrap as well.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice on the CDT components, too. How are you powering them? Also, do your doors rattle?

Quick Reply: my 6.5" component speaker install