Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lines... which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Eric D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Lines... which ones?

I am looking at the Paragon online catalog and I need to determine which brake lines to get. There is a note on page that reads as follows:

Note: Check your front factory brake lines to see if they screw directly into the caliper or if the flexible line attaches to a hard line that then attaches to the caliper. POR500 lines are set up to screw directly into the caliper and POR550 are set up to attach to a hard line coming out of the caliper. Choose the right set for your car.

My car is an 89 and I looked at the calipers but I cant really figure this out. Does anyone have any clues as to how I can determine which ones I have. I am confused about what they are asking.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2002, 11:03 PM
kellyk
Instructor

Hey Logan, were neighbors!

THe question has to do with whether or not the FLEXIBLE brake line connects directly into the caliper or not. Some cars have factory hard steel tubing running from the calipers up to a flexible "hose" and then again into another hard tube. Remove the wheel and look closely at the caliper. If the brake line looks like a rubber hose covered with a spirel wound "coil" and it screws directly into the caliper, then you want the "500". If the caliper is connected to a hard, inflexible "tube" then you want the "550". The rubber line it replaces is a little further upstream.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:09 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

This might not be much help because my car is so much older, but my '83 has flexible lines to the caliper on the front. The rear has a steel line from the caliper that attaches to a flexible line at the pivot point of the trailing arm that finally attaches to a steel line that runs to the master cylinder.

You might compare the rear lines to the front lines. My bet is that the rear has not changed much.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:41 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paragon will sell you the metal tubes to connect if you want to go that route there was a post on this board before stating it is a better setup.

Eric
Old 07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
crazandy
Racer

I just baught lines from paragon 2 weeks ago and replaced them.

The rear lines start at the caliper with metal, then go towards the middle back of the car and turns to a rubber line (about 6 inches long), then back to a steel line.
My front lines came out of the caliper as rubber then to metal about 12inches away.
I baught the POR500 model and it worked perfectly. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Brake Lines... which ones?