Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

last min. descision...need some input from the peanut gallery

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 12:25 PM
krystar
Drifting

u can certainly fit 4 spares into the car. 3 in the back, one in the pass seat. put a towel or garbage bag on
Old 07-09-2009 | 12:41 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

No way in hell to fit four tires in the car with the other things I bring to the track.

Here's a partial list:

Alum. Jack
Torque wrench
24" square rubbermaid filled with tools
24" Square rubbermaid filled with track stuff (numbers, glass cleaner, oil, etc)
Small canopy-type tent
tarp
folding chair
air-tank
helmet bag
small duffle with clothes
laptop (to surf here at night )
small bag of extra 'stuff' like spare set of driving shoes, etc

Car is basically packed now....except for the duffle bag with clothes....waiting for the dryer to finish.

I have one unmounted tire in there...that's going to have to suffice.

Will leave in a few hours....stop to see my buddie in the hospital who had surgery last night....and then down to Thunderbolt.

Pray for NO THUNDERBOOMERS !
(I learned at my last DE that some rain is ok..what a great time!)
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:03 PM
krystar
Drifting

the big rubbermaids is what kills it. all the cubby's filled?

good luck and have fun!

take a pic of packed car
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:06 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
race the ridgeline and carry tires for it in the back??
That's funny !

It would actually probably be fun on a track...don't know if you ever drove one but it handles fairly well and has loads of "GO".

Ok...everything is now in the car...it's not too bad actually.

Only things I changed from last event.....bringing my smaller air-tank....and the cooler will be empty and folded up (it's cloth) until I get down to the track area....then I'll get Ice/Water.

These two things made enough room to fit the tire in the back.
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:09 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

the big rubbermaids is what kills it. all the cubby's filled?

good luck and have fun!

take a pic of packed car
The cubby's in the back? Yeah..they have my Porsche air compressor, first aid kit and a few other misc. items...all which I need for the road but need to get removed once at the track.

Actually I could probably take the compressor out...since I have a tank of air....but I like belt/suspenders.

No pics....it's not pretty !

Thanks for all the input !
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:10 PM
krystar
Drifting

worst case scenario, put a towel on the roof and get some twine going :P now that WOULD look ridunkulous.
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:12 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Dude, I routinely drive to the track with a set of four track tires stuffed in the back, plus a big rubbermaid thingy filled with tools, jack, two jack stands, helmet, spare coolant, chair, power bleeder, duffel with clothes, cooler, blanket, laptop, cameras, and a wallet full of cash.

And my passenger seat is clear enough for papers, maps, and stuff.

You can fit an amazing amount of stuff in a 944. It's like a Rubic's cube getting it all in there, but it works.
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:15 PM
krystar
Drifting

stooge, u gotta show how to pack 4 wheels in the back. i was trying to do it on tuesday when i went to track but couldn't get em all in. i tried stacking 2 on the deck and 1 in the spare tire well and 4th behind pass seat...but the 4th would be at wierd angle and the hatch wouldn't close.
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:32 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

When I go to the Glen in a few weeks, I can post pics.

Until then, I can only describe what I do. These are 15 inchers by the way. Although I've seen a guy with a turbo stuff 17's in his hatch. This also assumes you have removed the rear seat top.

Push one tire forward all the way in the middle so that it is laying on the back seat. Put two tires in each corner in the rear. Push the passenger seat as far forward as possible. Place the fourth on top and to the right of the first. This is the toughest one to get it. When it's right, the hatch won't even touch it. My tool bin goes to the left of the middle wheel.
Old 07-09-2009 | 01:36 PM
krystar
Drifting

hmm i'll try that. hope my b pillar harness bar doesn't get in the way.
Old 07-09-2009 | 02:35 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

I have the Brey-Krause harness bar. I have to disconnect the support bar on the side that has the fourth tire. I just disconnect the side that attaches to the c pillar and lay it down on the bar. I don't like wasting time doing that, but it's the only way it goes in.
Old 07-09-2009 | 02:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

remove the passenger seat and lower dash on that side.. you should be able to get all your tools in there and a tire or two
Old 07-09-2009 | 03:40 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I've done several trips with a full set of tires and a minimal set of tools and stuff. You can always borrow stuff (tools, jacks, stands, etc.) at the track.

The only benefit of towing is that you have a way home if something goes wrong with the 944. But what could possibly go wrong with a 944?

Old 07-09-2009 | 03:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I've done several trips with a full set of tires and a minimal set of tools and stuff. You can always borrow stuff (tools, jacks, stands, etc.) at the track.

The only benefit of towing is that you have a way home if something goes wrong with the 944. But what could possibly go wrong with a 944?

just because you said that every MY88 car is going to burst into flame in 30 minutes
Old 07-09-2009 | 04:46 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Doesn't anyone use the spare tire well? A full sized tire will fit. Obviously, it was designed to hold one (maybe to hold the flat after you use the mini), and that's where I used to put one of the wheels. I use the past tense because I ditched my track wheels last Winter and just use street tires on track. More sliding is more funner.

Quick Reply: last min. descision...need some input from the peanut gallery