Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Band of Brothers the series on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:44 AM
user 8430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: Band of Brothers the series on DVD

Very Off topic, I know, but I had the chance to watch this great HBO miniseries recently and wanted to express my thoughts.
Since watching this movie, I feel I have a much greater understanding and realization of what occured during the allied invasion of Europe. I can now better understand and visualize what the allied soldiers endured. What previously could only be expressed through textbooks and history class, can now be realistically portrayed through modern cinematography, to an incredibly realistic degree. The shear terror the soldiers must must have felt when parachuting behind eneny lines or as part of the beach head at Normandy, so many endured terrible pain and suffering as they basically sacrificed themselves. I wonder if the youth of today would have the fortitude or determination that the men of that era had. I have such a profound respect for the soldiers of the last great war, for their sacrifice and what they achieved. It is difficult for me to view this film and realize that all of this actually took place. It is very humbling.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I too was very impressed with the work of the Directors of Band of brothers. It did portray, accuratly the hardships of war. However I am still to this day dissapointed at the lack of movies portraying the life of German soldiers, showing that they acted the excat same way american boys did, and were not off killing the jewish population and sieg heiling. I believe a movie similar to band of brother portraying the axis soldiers would have a far greater impact on the population that does not obtain a great knowledg of history. But now im just going on and on. Have you ever seen the Longest Day? That was a good one. Or the Lost Batallion done By A&E now that one was good.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you seen Das Boot? It is an amazing WW2 submarine film from Wolfgang Petersen. The story of a U-Boat commander and crew is told from the German perspective.

It is interesting to see the war from the point of view of the German soldier, which is quite different than that of the **** party.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:09 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

I've seen both of those. It's really detailed. What I liked about band of brothers is that it didn't make the Germans look like complete idiots, as many other movies have done. Great show.
I've seen Das Boot many times. Don't really get tired of it.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:17 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
"showing that they acted the excat same way american boys did, and were not off killing the jewish population and sieg heiling."

In reality they did act exactly like American soldiers. The Germany Army was not involved in the horrors of that war (for the most part). Exterminations were done by the Waffen SS, which, while organized like the army, was an entirely different orginization.

Remember that the German army High command (incluiding Rommel) attempted to assasinate Hitler. And in fact all German army units had political officers attached. To keep them in line.

Yes the German army did perform attrocities, but so has every large army in every war. Another attrocity was the murder of an entire Polish military school (teenage boys) by the Russian Army.

Suffice to say the German Army was not off exterminating Jews and Sieg Heiling. They were fighting the Allies.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:19 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Speaking of todays kids (late teens early 20s) between my stepdaughter 22 and my friends son 20 I'm really surprised at how helpless that these kids seem to be.

When they run into some little thing that they think is too much trouble or too hard (like opening a checking account all by yourself) I remind them on occasion that not 30 years ago kids younger than them were in a jungle 10,000 miles from home carrying a rifle and when my Dad was not even 20 he was in WWII.

Thinking about those events I can't do much but roll my eyes at some of these kids.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Magnus
Racer

Cross of Iron is a movie showing the war on the eastern front from the german side. The full length version is rather good but I've read that the cut down US version isn't very good.
<a href="http://us.imdb.com/Title?0074695" target="_blank">http://us.imdb.com/Title?0074695</a>

//Magnus
Old 01-26-2003, 11:03 PM
cherokee
Cruisin'

If you are looking for a good book on the german poing of view try Forgotten Soldier...very good. As far as kids today go, They are way too soft. God help us if anything happens like that again.

Quick Reply: OT: Band of Brothers the series on DVD