Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn/ripped oil pan gasket!! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:22 PM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Torn/ripped oil pan gasket!! :-(

I recently completed about 1,000 miles of mostly highway driving after a major front-end rebuild (rod bearings, oil pan gasket, rebuilt PS rack, A-arm rebuild, etc.). I was under the car last night to check for any leaks, and I noticed that my oil pan gasket was torn in the front of the pan!!

This is on both sides near the first bolts where the pan transitions to a semi-circular shape. It looks like the gasket is torn where it goes around the first spacer ring in the gasket. I almost cried thinking about all of the work that would have to be repeated to replace the oil pan gasket. When I originally installed the pan, I did use a torque wrench, and I carefully followed the tightening sequence shown in the factory manual.

I didn't notice any oil leaks in this area. However, I did notice some dried/gummy coolant residue. Apparently my cooling system bleeder screw (top of the head) had a bad seal and some coolant leaked down the front of the engine when at temp. Is there any possible correlation between the coolant leak and the oil pan gasket tearing?

Fortunately, the damage is in the front of the pan which is away from the sump. As a result, oil tends to drain ~away~ from the front of the pan under most conditions.

What is the risk of leaving the gasket as is? I'm assuming that the worst thing that could happen is a little oil leak under fast deceleration. However even then the probability of leaking a lot of oil from that location seems low. What about unfiltered air getting into the crankcase? Should the air space above the oil pan be at the same, lower, or higher than atmospheric pressure?

Comments and thoughts please...
Old 07-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If I understand you correctly, maybe it is only torn on the outside of the spacer ring, leaving the inside intact? You would be almost sure to have an oil leak if there was a gap all the way through the seal.

I'd leave it alone until you need to go back in there for some other reason. Did you do your bearings while you were in there last time?
Old 07-10-2002, 07:29 PM
tt9714
Racer

"Peckster"
Good point about the gasket. IIRC it's pretty wide. Since I didn't see any oil in the area (and I used RTV/silicone sealant) in the area, it must be holding OK for now.
-MDW
Old 07-10-2002, 07:52 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the RTV-silicone isn't the right type of sealant called for in the corners of the pan gasket. It should be something stiffer. I wouldn't worry about it until you get leaks.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:39 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't fix anything not leaking

Quick Reply: Torn/ripped oil pan gasket!! :-(