Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002 | 10:14 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

Post steering vibration?

so i'm driving my 86 951 around some winding vermont roads and notice that when i turn RIGHT the car vibrates slightly. i weave back and forth in my lane to make sure this is correct, and it is definitely only when i turn right. so i park the car, and about an hour later am heading home and i notice it again, but this time it's when i turn LEFT not right. on the rest of the ride (like 40 mins, maybe 50 miles altogether) it alternates between the left being fine and the right vibrating and the other way around. the vibration not really strong, but noticible, sometimes stronger than other times....
any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2002 | 05:10 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Check wheel balance while on the car
This to compensate for the different weight of the lock nut.
TakeCare
Old 07-10-2002 | 03:31 PM
IBRJA
Intermediate

Sounds like something I had experienced with my 951 so I brought it into the nearest Porsche dealer to get a 4 wheel alignment ($139. at a flat rate charge - it took him 3 full hours), and I was told that my front wheel bearings were a bit loose and that it would take another half hour to tighten them properly before he did the alignment if I wanted that done too (1/2 hr. at $80 per hr.), so I went for it. Am I glad I did because between the 2 repairs it handles like new. So the answer to your question is that you should have your wheel bearings looked at to see if they are snug enough. It's a cheap repair even if you bring it to the shop.
Old 10-20-2002 | 12:11 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

yeah, just throwing this back up to see if anyone has any other ideas. the car definitely needed new balljoints, so i got my arms rebuilt my markus blaszak (did a great job, but shipping to and from canada took forever). i was hoping this would fix the problem but it didn't i'm now hoping it's the right wheel bearing (cause it's cheap) and not something to do with the steering rack (which is not). know what the labor looks like for a wheel bearing? i was going to do it myself, but i live in vermont and it's getting colder in my unheated, uninsulated garage...
Old 10-20-2002 | 04:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Other possible culprits:

Suspension bushings.
Worn tie-rod ends.
Tires out of round from heavy braking (no ABS on your 86).

Good luck, and I hope tightening the bearings solves it!

Quick Reply: steering vibration?