Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joonas
First check the sender and if it checks out you should check the OPRV.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/phpBB2/...ghlight=washer

if i understand the operation of the oprv, it would only open when oil pressure is high enough to push the spring backwards. so maybe my spring is weak? I see in that thread about the guy shimming the oprv spring. is that trick applicable on all styles of oprv's?

also, do i need a oprv alignment tool if i'm only removing the oprv and not removing the oil cooler housing?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two great Oil temp gauge threads in the Turbo forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...mp-gauges.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...emp-gauge.html

Some guys will use the drain plug for temp, some guys will get a sandwich plate at the oil filter for the temp sender. As for OPRV, a lot depends on what OPRV you have. My understanding of how the tool works is that it's really only useful if you have the cooler off, but there are wiser minds than me out here.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Here's an ancillary question about a temp sender. I don't have a turbo, but I have a plug where the turbo oil drain goes on my S2. Could a sensor be put in that plug?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea i'm really looking for an alternative to the drain plug one...cause i already have a fomoto drain plug installed hehe
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

I think the way to go if you don't want to drill/replace your plug is a sandwich plate.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

From Clark's Garage.....

The 944's oil pressure should run 4-5 bar at idle when the engine is cold. It will gradually decrease to 2-3 bar at idle as the engine oil warms to normal operating temperature. Once the oil is at normal operating temperature, the oil pressure should indicate around 4 bar at 5,000 rpm. It takes the oil longer to reach its normal operating temperature than the coolant. Therefore, don't be surprised if oil pressure continues to decline after the coolant temperature has stabilized at its normal operating temperature. Occasionally, you may see your oil pressure drop to less than 2 bar. This may happen on very hot days when the car has been driven particularly hard. You should be extremely concerned if the oil pressure dropped to less than 1 bar. This is indicative of an problem with the oil pressure indication or the oiling system itself. Under these circumstances, the car should not be driven until the cause of the low oil pressure indication is determined and corrected.

There are several things that may indicate a problem with the oil pressure indication. If your oil pressure is pegged high (5 bar) or won't indicate less than 4 bar at normal operating temperature, there is likely a problem with the oil pressure sending unit.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
krystar
Drifting

the car idles just a hair over 2 bar hot. it's just that it doesn't go more than a hair past 3 even when i rev.....

so far after the pickup tube and rod bearing replace, i have never hit under 1 bar
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going to guess that either a gauge issue, or an OPRV binding issue. Before digging into the OPRV, I'd be inclined to get a secondary gauge to confirm your real oil pressure.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM
krystar
Drifting

could i just for temporary sake remove the orig sender and put another sender to another electrical gauge? or a mechanical gauge under hood
Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by krystar
could i just for temporary sake remove the orig sender and put another sender to another electrical gauge? or a mechanical gauge under hood
I've never had to do it on a 944, but if I had to, I'd probably do what you're suggesting. Seems like the easiest place to pick up a pressure reading on a quick temporary basis. Of course, how easy or difficult it will be depends a lot on what you happen to have laying around the shop.

Or you could just go right for the OPRV. But I hat playing with this things, so I'd double check pressures if at all possible (again, if it were me - you may really like pulling OPRVs and aligning the cooler housing).
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
krystar
Drifting

yea i don't have a oprv alignment tool. so kinda wary of pulling the oprv in case it doesn't go back in right or something.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

You only need the tool to align the oil cooler housing. So as long as you don't loosen or take that off, you're file to pull and inspect the OPRV. But you might just find out that you need the tool because that's your real issue. Or maybe the spring is beat, or maybe a seal is bad....
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
krystar
Drifting

draining oil. took the oprv out. the o ring looks good to me. unless the outer diameter of of the o ring itself is wrong or something.

i thought there was supposed to be a crush washer here?

just for my understanding, which style of oprv is this? i read about the "shimming" of the spring. how do i do that?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

That is a one piece OPRV. Everything is inside that cylinder. Not sure if yours is an early or a late OPRV (length of OPRV is different).
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
krystar
Drifting

is it take apart-able to shim the spring ? i couldn't unthread it or anything

Quick Reply: oil pressure behavior