Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just insatalled Iridium spark plug into the S2. Have copper and Iridium ((PICS))

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just insatalled Iridium spark plug into the S2. Have copper and Iridium ((PICS))

Just did a major electrical tuneup on the S2, and I thought I would share the difference between the iridium and the copper tipped plugs.

Iridium on the left, copper on the right.

Last edited by 944S2NUT; 06-23-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The pic didn't work.

But I can tell you the difference: iridium and platinum are designed to last longer, sacrificing performance throughout their lifetime in order to run consistently for much longer than copper plugs can. This was their design criteria, as per the auto manufacturers.

In things that make changing spark plugs a major project (Ford explorer: I'm giving you the look of disapproval) this makes sense.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

I read an article about the iridium running lower voltage, and easier starting. That really caught my attention.

Try refreshing the page. Pic seems to work fine for me on 2 diff comps. Hmmm, strange.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

If you've ever changed spark plugs on an Infiniti Q45 you understand why platinum is a good thing.

Currently I use platinums on my 944 just because I had them extra lol and I've never had a problem. But the next time I change them (maybe soon if my project finally materializes) they will be copper for their performance and heat range.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

The iridium can handle much higher temp than the plats, well from what I have read.
Also I read on the turbo forum, that a plat tip flew off scoring up the wall inside the motor.

Found the FAQ

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
Old 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Pics work now. Sorry about that.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM
robert944h
Racer

Originally Posted by 944S2NUT
The iridium can handle much higher temp than the plats, well from what I have read.
Also I read on the turbo forum, that a plat tip flew off scoring up the wall inside the motor.

Found the FAQ

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
I have seen the cheaper platinums break the tips also. The only platinums that I would recommend are the ones that the 930s run. They run about $15 each.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
eniac
Drifting

The other area where the plugs have been tested are on good old dynos. The results have indicated horsepower increases over stock plugs of 2-3 Hp in a naturally aspirated engine and 27 Hp in a supercharged/turbocharged engine as seen in the January 2003 issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine*.
Riiight, I wonder who sponsored that article.

I'll stick with copper and change them often. I could care less how durable a plug is as long as it doesn't break apart inside the engine and lasts a couple months. For the cost I can buy an entire set of copper plugs for my car for the price of one Iridium spark plug.

I care how low a spark plug can make my EGT's without fouling out or overstressing the ignition.

In most applications, Iridium is the next best thing to copper performance wise and is about the best for durability if you care about that sort of thing. There is nothing decent I can say about platinum plugs, nothing at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
The other problem I've seen with most of the "tests" is that they are dealing with NEW plugs only and don't bother to test them after they've been in for a long time (on a dyno). I know from gut experience that platinums last longer....I use them in my two bastard Fords. But it's not for performance. And I wouldn't if I could open the hood of either and change all the plugs hardly even bending over in 2 minutes like on a 944. The explorer makes it impossible to ge one of the plugs out without pulling the inner wheel well on the passenger's side and the F150 requires 2 u joints and several busted knuckles for the back ones on either side. Yeah...they get platinum.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac

I'll stick with copper and change them often. I could care less how durable a plug is as long as it doesn't break apart inside the engine and lasts a couple months. For the cost I can buy an entire set of copper plugs for my car for the price of one Iridium spark plug.

I care how low a spark plug can make my EGT's without fouling out or overstressing the ignition.

In most applications, Iridium is the next best thing to copper performance wise and is about the best for durability if you care about that sort of thing. There is nothing decent I can say about platinum plugs, nothing at all.
eniac, what copper plug do you use for the e85? im looking around for a nice somewhat colder plug for my SC project.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
eniac, what copper plug do you use for the e85? im looking around for a nice somewhat colder plug for my SC project.
NGK: BR6ES, BR7ES, and BR9ES.

I had BR9ES but have a problem with cold starts on the E85, I thought it might be the plugs so tried the stock BR6ES, no change in cold starting. It was time for the 9's to be changed anyway and I had some BR7ES sitting around that I just threw in last week.

It takes 5-7 tries to get it to start cold with E85, once it runs for even 10 seconds I can shut the car off and it fires up instantly on one turn of the key. I have been stuggling with this for awhile and the heat range of the plugs do not seem to affect this at all. I switched back to normal gas and it starts fine right away even on the coldest mornings. I go back to E85 and have problems with cold starts again.

Quick Reply: Just insatalled Iridium spark plug into the S2. Have copper and Iridium ((PICS))