Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tial Installed w/ MBC...Can't Boost Past Spring...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
And yes, that diagram is correct for the Tial. It's the opposite of the Lindsey dual-port.
then it should be good.... check the mbc like suggested
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
It will most certainly open. This is how I run on a daily basis. The purpose of dual-port is to use [intake] manifold pressure to assist the wastegate spring. Exhaust pressure combined with pressure from the MBC will open the wastegate. Though you will need to limit the pressure going to the dual-port side. I use a mig-tip in the line, to act as a restriction.

-Rogue
No fair, you changed your diagram to include the restriction.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it depends on what you are using the dual-port for... If you want give assistance to keep the wastegate shut, then hook it up how I posted. If you want to give assistance to open the wastegate, then hook it up how your first diagram shows.

-Rogue
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess with what I have now I want help keeping it shut?

I have a 10PSI spring in there and want to lock boost in at 15PSI.

It's easy to reverse it - but not going to fix my problem if I have a dorfed MBC. It clearly should at least do SOMETHING when configured the way that I originally had it and I turned the **** all the way east and west...locked down and pulled up and didn't get a smidgen past 10PSI.

I think I'm going to try the Accuboost where the MBC goes tomorrow...it's dialed in right now around 15PSI and I'm guessing I should at least be able to see if in that dual port configuration I can get the boost to move past 10PSI.

When I had the Accuboost running to the side port with the top port vented I was easily boosting past 10PSI, so it's clearly not the wastegate, which is good because I think I'd rather get get on the waterboard before pulling all of that back out again.

Can you show a picture or part number of the restrictor thing you are referring to?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

The side port gets full boost and the top port gets the line from the controller. That's how it is designed to work.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The side port gets full boost and the top port gets the line from the controller. That's how it is designed to work.
And that will cause the wastegate to open earlier.
Using manifold pressure to push against the spring, effectively lowering the spring-rate.

-Rogue
Old 06-18-2009, 02:47 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
And that will cause the wastegate to open earlier.
Not if you crank the MBC up...

I'll admit that I'm no rocket surgeon - but I'm lost...I still can't figure out how you are the only one I can find on this forum that has your Tial hooked up this way, but I digress...

Nor am I a wastegate 'expert', but I still don't see what the advantage is to your configuration vs the way everyone else has it hooked up. With a MBC in the 'stock' configuration the effective spring rate is a function of how much the dial is turned. What is it with your configuration that makes it better than that? I don't get it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm...so now it works.

I guess I did something...but not sure what...I pulled the MBC out and jacked around with it - turned it all the way counterCW to open it all the way up and then all the way CW then hooked it back up as per my original configuration and went out for a drive - viola!

I must say...damn a Tial WG at 15PSI w/ a Vitesse MAF is a beautiful, beautiful thing. I haven't even got my PB installed yet to dial it in either. For the first time ever, I can hit 15PSI in 2nd gear...very, very nice.

I wanted to add a few pictures post-mortem... This install really got me leaning towards a 2 post lift for my garage...I would have saved at least a couple hours and a lot of headache with one for sure...

Complete!!

A couple of my good buddies that helped me get out the PITA in the middle...

The carnage...I still haven't cleaned up my garage/put my tools back up...

Engine Bay:

Last edited by choinga; 06-18-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Tial Installed w/ MBC...Can't Boost Past Spring...