Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non running 944S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009 | 09:02 PM
Eurog60
1st Gear

Default Non running 944S

Ive come across a good deal on craigslist for a 1987 944S. Owner said that one day it just wouldnt start and since he was given a company car he no longer wants to deal with the car so he is selling it at a pretty good deal. Seller says he had the cam chain tensioner and cam belt are both fine. Just wondering what might be the cause for it to not run. Im pretty mechanically inclined, ive been working on VW's for several years and I dont mind doing a little work to get it running. Are there any common areas which fail on the 944 that I can look into to get it running?
Old 06-16-2009 | 09:18 PM
Equilibria
Advanced

Thats the burgundy one in Vancouver correct? It's been on craigslist for at least a month now, have seen the price drop from 3k down to 1.9k, but haven't had a chance to go look at it. Go and take a look at it, if the exterior and interior are in good shape, and the engine looks okay (and you see nothing else that is screaming 'problem' at you), get a PPI from either Weissach (4th and something in Vancouver, or SCAN in North Van) and they'll let you know exactly how much it will take to get the car back on the road.

I have my doubts its in as good shape as that ad mentions, a good S even in non-running shape (as long as its not tensioner or timing belt) will usually be picked up long before it gets down to that kinda price. If you take a look at it and want another opinion before going to a shop, send me a PM and I'll go out to take a look at it with you.

and just because its gonna get mentioned again...

Get a PPI. Don't let that part get skimmed over if you're unsure about the condition of the car at all.
Old 06-16-2009 | 09:58 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

I'd say if the head's in good working order (ie no valve collision incident), it might be worth a try at $1.9K.
But check it out - it might need all the usual things (clutch, timing belt (yes, even if he says it's good), brakes, shocks, tires, exhaust, water pump, sensors, vac lines, AC, hood shocks...) in which case it might cost you $8K to make it a $4500 car. Which can be ok if you look at this as a hobby since it will be worth more to you than you'll ever get out in cash. Not so ok if it's transportation or an investment.
Old 06-17-2009 | 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

DME relay.

Quick Reply: Non running 944S