Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem? what to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009 | 01:42 AM
83 944
Pro

Default Overheating problem? what to fix?

so my 944 over heats or gets pretty close to over heating quite often now. and i dont what to replace. i was told to keep the car on at idle and let the car get up to temp. then turn on my fan (i have an aftermarket fan with a switch in the center console) and see if the temp goes down or stays at a certain temp. but if it doesnt i was told to change the thermostat and see if that makes a difference. what else could it be if it isnt that? i was also told that 944's water pumps dont go bad because the spinning wheel is metal and doesnt crumble and the bearings are sealed well. but sometime they go bad (according to a tech at zotz garage)

i have a very stubborn step dad who thinks he knows everything but he doesnt. he says it sounds like the bearings are like gone and he bets that they arent working. Can you listen to tell if thats true?

i can check this stuff tomorrow whiles hes gone.

i dont have a crap load of money to just spend on a new water pump thermostat and gaskets and what not. nor do i have that much time anymore with school.

if my information that i have been told is true let me know so i can check this out with my stupid step dad around controlling everything. and what i should check next and what i should replace.

thanks

-Mike
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:04 AM
McLovin69
Advanced

have you tried getting some of the prestone radiator flush stuff. run it in the system and it gets all the deposits etc out of the system.
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:44 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Yeah try flushing it out then blowing all the air out of it.
Do you get good heat out of the heater? If not, your system may be full of air.

These thermostats fail open don't they? So wouldn't it take forever to warm up if the thermostat was busticated?
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:50 AM
McLovin69
Advanced

it could be the thermostat, if it failed closed than the water wouldnt go through the radiator and the car would overheat all the time.

take it out and drop pin a pot of boiling water...it it opens it works. it will cost you nothing (other than replacement antifreeze)

the water pump can fail. but it will ususally leak or the pully wont turn freely (with the belt off)
Old 06-18-2009 | 07:51 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 83 944
so my 944 over heats or gets pretty close to over heating quite often now. and i dint what to replace. i was told to keep the car on at idle and let the car get up to temp. then turn on my fan (i have an aftermarket fan with a switch in the center console) and see if the temp goes down or stays at a certain temp. but if it doesn't i was told to change the thermostat and see if that makes a difference. what else could it be if it isn't that? i was also told that 944's water pumps dint go bad because the spinning wheel is metal and doesn't crumble and the bearings are sealed well. but sometime they go bad (according to a tech at zotz garage)

i have a very stubborn step dad who thinks he knows everything but he doesn't. he says it sounds like the bearings are like gone and he bets that they aren't working. Can you listen to tell if thats true?

i can check this stuff tomorrow whiles hes gone.

i dint have a crap load of money to just spend on a new water pump thermostat and gaskets and what not. nor do i have that much time anymore with school.

if my information that i have been told is true let me know so i can check this out with my stupid step dad around controlling everything. and what i should check next and what i should replace.

thanks

-Mike
It seems that you're just upset and need to let some steam off.
Ok you've done that now go do what you've been told and report back so we can give you some real advice.
The pumps does go bad, the head gaskets also does blow - but thats not the first place to start looking, use search, there is a lot of info on this, I did a post myself a year ago!

Start with the fan.
Also give us some back ground info - what related work did you recently do on the car, does it loose any coolant?
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:17 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the bearing on #2 piston is known to be a failure point, especially if oil level drops down. Have you driven the car hard at all, autocross or track driving? Low oil and hard driving/cornering will contribute to #2 bearing failure. If the bearing is on the way out, it will start generating excessive heat. The only fix is to tear into the bottom end and replace it (and all the other bearing while you're in there...). Bearing failure will also lead to low oil pressure. Has the car been low on oil? How's the oil pressure?
Old 06-18-2009 | 02:32 PM
83 944
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...at-to-fix.html

Quick Reply: Overheating problem? what to fix?