Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renamed: Bendix spring not bendixing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 12:27 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Post Renamed: Bendix spring not bendixing.

Cold this morning and she didn't want to start. Almost had it. Let off and gave it some, She just spins now. Tried giving it the old tap treatment but nothing.

Does it mean on these cars I need a new starter, cuz if so that is going to really suck, doing it in the parking lot in minus something weather.

Can they be gotten at the local auto parts store?
Old 02-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you mean the solenoid on the starter isn't engaging the starter gear with the ring gear to spin the engine ? Throwout bearing is part of the clutch.
It looks like a small can attached to the side of the starter. I don't know if the solenoid could be repaired or if you need to replace the starter. You could try whacking the side of the solenoid with a wrench to see if maybe it would free up. Worked on my old VW transporter for years before finally having to replace it.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:45 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Yeah sorry. I geuss what I'm really asking about is the Bendix spring (talked to a guy at work here) I geuss I've always called it the throw out bearing because it seems to throw out the starter gear.

Anyways. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do short of a starter. I've already tried wacking it to no effect.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

If the starter's spinning, then the solenoid is working, but the Bendix (the common name for the starter drive) has crapped out. The one way clutch has been burned up by excessive cranking. The starter has to come off to replace it, and you'll probably be just about as well off finding a complete rebuilt starter. But that's only half the problem. The reason it took a dump is 'cause it's been overworked. Ya' really need to find out why your cars is so hard to start or you'll just end up eating the new starter.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:45 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Why it's so gard to start. Cuz it's freaking cold here. On days were its above zero its fine. Only on these really bad days is it a problem.

But thanks for the advise. No I just have to find a starter.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run synthetic oil even in my junkers in winter. Makes starts a LOT easier.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:29 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Thanks Thad.

But due to the potential oil leak problem of using Synthetic after 135,000 dead dinosaur miles I didnt/dont want to go that route.

I think replacing the fuel filter (when i have time to deal with the coroded lines) will make a big difference.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:19 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

$92 dollar freaking core charge.

But they do have one in stock at $175 a little more than I was hoping, but not all together bad.

Same price as a set of wires. ???
Old 02-12-2003, 11:33 AM
NerfRacing
Instructor

maybe if you wanna transfer over to synthetic, you could start by putting a mix of 75/25 fossil to syn, and then 50/50 etc, until you phase out the fossil, ive heard this keeps seals intact better.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:01 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Now that's a decent idea.

Only thing that concerns me is that this car has 0 oil leaks, burns 0il and when I go to change it the dipstick looks like it's got new erl on it (draining it looks a little blacker). And it's one of those, don't fix it if it aint broke. But your idea does seem like a good one.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:08 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Thanks for your help guys. New starter in and working great.

For those of you that have directions out on the web (Clarks) when you say 19mm you might want to append 19mm box end. Sockets doin't work.

Froze my nipples off, but on the plus side, I re-found a great parts store. Had forgotten about them. Northern Foriegn in Nashua. They were real friendly. And when the starter looked slightly different they pulled out the books to make sure it would fit, and crank the motor. Great guys.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:54 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Now the fecking starter runs ALLLLLL the time.

Hope it's just bad wire placement on my part and not an ignition switch problem.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have seen on a starter I put on a GMC van (I know.... totally different vehicle) that I had a mediocre connection to one of the power wires to the starter. The result -- a couple of days later I got in and turned the key, starter engaged and never stopped, even after I took the key out and was running back to the house to get a wrench to take the battery cable loose. Starter ran until the battery went dead. Turned out that the cruddy connection to the starter did it. It was a strange experience though. And I know it is too late for you now but I had the starter in the 924 spinning but not engaging 2 years ago. All I did was take the starter apart and grease up the (bendix?) shaft that slides the gear into the flywheel and put it back in. Two years of daily driving and counting.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:03 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

That's what I'm hoping for. Crud on the connections.

Rebuilding the starter would have been nice. In a garage or a nice warm july day it would have been an option. But I had till today at 1 when the parts store closed.

I really hop the solenoid aint froze up inside. Have to get hand warmwers or something to thaw it out. Easy enough to check.

Quick Reply: Renamed: Bendix spring not bendixing.