Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference sensor pivot bolt into bellhousing hole

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reference sensor pivot bolt into bellhousing hole

Well, I did it. I was trying to set my refernce clearence, I got the 8mm clearance. When putting in the pivot and locking bolts, I couldnt get the pivot bolt in for some reason. I took it out, and I droped it trying to pull my hand out. I didnt hear it hit the ground, and looked in the square hole next to the bracket (pass. side) and saw the washer. I got the washer out by means of my speed sensor, but didnt see the bolt, nor did I fell the bolt when I stuck my finger in the square hole. I loked on Clarks to see how to take the clutch bellhousing off, but its not there. I assume that you have to take the , ?? 5-8 17MM bolts ?? (dont know that numbers) off, and I should be able to retreive the bolts. Has anyone done this, and how did you get the bolt/ washer out?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you absolutely sure it went in the TDC hole and isn't just laying on the BH somewhere?

If it did go in, you should go to church several times a day for the next week, then jack up the right side of the car and pull your clutch inspection plug. If it's there, you are golden, if not then pull your starter and check in that hole. Don't touch the key to start it until you find it!!

GENTLY rotating the engine via the crank bolt may help direct the bolt to fall, but stop right away if you feel it jam up. If you can't get it this way you are way screwed. Either have to pull the engine, or essentially do a clutch job -- transaxle out, torque tube pulled back, and many hours of pain...

I don't understand why there isn't a plug for that hole??
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I would try to fish around using a telescopic magnet if not, disconnect the battery before going near the starter and use the advice above.

Removing the starter should give ou access to the bottom of the bellhousing. If the bolt fell through it may be at the bottom and yes, turn the engine by hand.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went through this on a car. It was wedged btween the flywheel and the block. Did all the suggestions above, plus used some high pressure water to no avail. Had to remove the trannu, torque tube, clutch and flywheel....
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
I don't understand why there isn't a plug for that hole??
I agree that a plug would be really handy.

When working on the car, a latex glove inserted into the hole has saved me on more than one occasion.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Just went through this on a car. It was wedged btween the flywheel and the block. Did all the suggestions above, plus used some high pressure water to no avail. Had to remove the trannu, torque tube, clutch and flywheel....
Same secret place for me too on my first clutch job. Luckily I hadn't attached the TT yet and was able to find it with only one hour loss of time. If his bolt is back there there's no fishing or magnets in the world that will get it out. Hopefully his falls out the bottom. That hole is why God made duct tape.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
thekidd
Instructor

Thanks guys. Please keep some other options coming (no shop/ selling) I will let you all know how it went when I am done. What does the inside of that hole look like? I saw what look like a black plastic peice that seperates left/ right coming from the firewall. The inside felt like it was flat?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem last week. Watched it bounce twice and go straight in, and no luck finding it or coming out the bottom. Saving grace was the fact that at some point the sensors were attached with wimpy alloy mushroom cap bolts instead of normal bolts. I literally almost cried thursday night after an entire winter of rebuilding the race car. Talk about dejection. We turned it by hand with no catching or sounds of any kind.

I just ran 3 days at the track with nary an issue. Well, no issues related to that clusterf*ck anyway... I left the clutch inspection plug out 'just in case'. Had no issue all weekend. Lucky? YES. Would I recommend this as a course of action for others? NO.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 AM
thekidd
Instructor

You have a clutch inspection plug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And hope you can keep that bolt out of harms way (if it didnt fall out)
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I had the same problem last week. Watched it bounce twice and go straight in, and no luck finding it or coming out the bottom. Saving grace was the fact that at some point the sensors were attached with wimpy alloy mushroom cap bolts instead of normal bolts. I literally almost cried thursday night after an entire winter of rebuilding the race car. Talk about dejection. We turned it by hand with no catching or sounds of any kind.

I just ran 3 days at the track with nary an issue. Well, no issues related to that clusterf*ck anyway... I left the clutch inspection plug out 'just in case'. Had no issue all weekend. Lucky? YES. Would I recommend this as a course of action for others? NO.
Car still looked good on track. We've got some time to sort the rest of this crap out.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me. I couldn't find it, but spinning the engine by hand/wrench made the bolt finally came around.
Words cannot describe the joy I experienced... lol

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...llhousing.html
There's my thread about the same ordeal.

GOOOOD LUCK!!!!
... you need it... lol
Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thekidd
You have a clutch inspection plug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And hope you can keep that bolt out of harms way (if it didnt fall out)
I am referring to the round plug next to the clutch fork... should be there on all 944's. The theory was that a wussy soft alloy bolt like that would likely be destroyed by the flywheel and clutch at 6K RPM. Otherwise it is probably tucked into the webbing behind the clutch fork. The head is way smaller than a normal 8.8 bolt.

Trust me, it had ample opportunity to work its way out... given my on-track (well, and off-track) driving
Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 AM
thekidd
Instructor

Stupid question. How do you go about cranking the engine by hand? I hear people always saying to crank it by hand while doing an engine timing. Ive never had to do it, but how do you crank the engin eby hand? I had to ask the question sooner or later because I am going to do an engine timing sooner,... or earlier.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:38 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Put a socket on a ratchet... attach to crankshaft bolt... turn clockwise.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 AM
thekidd
Instructor

I thought it was the crankshaft bolt, just wanted to make sure so I wont screw anything else up. Wasnt sure on which way to spin it either. Thanks.

Where in Portland are you schwank? I have friends that live in Beaverton, stayed with them for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Reference sensor pivot bolt into bellhousing hole