Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference sensor pivot bolt into bellhousing hole

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about 20 minutes east of Beaverton... live in SE Portland... Milwaukie to be exact. Wipeout is up on the north side of town too.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 AM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, when I get out there again, Ill let you guys know. I rember buying a pack of cigaretts at Tobacco Town in Milwaukie, right off I guess it was the main road, had a lot of stores, resturaunts, strip clubs, etc, stec...
Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man..
I also noticed that you said you set the "8mm" of clearance, and just wanted to make sure that was a typo.
You should only have 0.8mm.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:13 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Yes, a typo, but thanks for looking out. I think it is .8mm, I used a washer off of an intake manifold bolts. I read somewhere that they are the right washer to use. Just got done lawn work and am going to toy with this hsit right now.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Well, I jacked the car up on the drivers side front wheel area, and turned the engine over a few times. Did not get the bolt out, nor did I hear it. I wanted to jack the rear up, and turn it over, but it is thundering and about to rain. I will jack her up at all angles and turn the engine over by hand again later today, or tommorow if it is still raining.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what it looks like inside, and the path the bolt likely took....

As for running an engine with a bolt in there, if it got between the flywheel and the BH, a big chunk of BH would be sure to leave the car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Stoped raining. I jacked the car up from the 4 points inside of the wheels ( 2 behind front wheel, 2 infront of rear wheels) and turned the car over many times, and still no bolt. What is the black cylinder right nest to the speed/ reference sensors? There are 2 runner hoses connected to it. Easy to take off, or no? It may be hidden under neath the manifold. Metal pipe from the engine rubber hose, cylinder, and the other rubber hose goes into the firewall. I might get some clerance from the top if I get that out of there.

I am guessing that the top of the red line is where the TDC hole and speed/ reference sensors/ bracket would go. How much room is between the clutch and the wall of the bell housing? Ample room for the bolt to fall through? I will try and spin my coat hanger around from the hole to the left of the red line tommorow. I really do not want to deal with dropping the tranny (no tools for that) to skinny to lift the Torgue tube. And when the engine is turned by hand, people have said it hard to turn, then gets easy? No?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take the spark plugs out, it will be much easier. (PUT SOME RAGS OVER THE HOLES!!)

I'd guess the black cylinder is the heater control valve, it is in the way of EVERYTHING back there.

If it did drop down near the clutch fork pivot, a small magnet epoxied to a length of coat hanger might yield results by going thru the inspection hole, or up from the starter hole. (Have you pulled the starter yet?)

(PS -- any rubber laying in the bottom of the BH?)
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the starter and clutch slave cylinder - more areas too look into at the bottom and see. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 AM
thekidd
Instructor

My plugs are still in, will put rags in there. No rubber at the bottom of the starter hole, was 1 little peice when I replaced the starter in Sept. Yes, I pulled the starter, but not the slave. Is there enoguh room to stick a magnet up through the staretr hole, or inspection hole. Seems pretty tight. If took all the bolts that go into the bellhousing (part in the picture above I'm talking about) off, would I be able to move it a little bit, enough to free the bolt if it is stuck?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The starter hole is big, but it goes sort of horizontially so you won't be able to get a good shot upwards. The clutch slave cylinder is just above it on the drivers side. Remove the two mounting bolts, but leave the hose connected. That will give you another angle to look. I would try the water pressure route I mentioned above too. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Anyways, I stuck a coat hanger down around there to no avil :< I stuck a pressure washer (weak one that is on a nossel for a hose) and sprayed from the bootom of the bell housing, and from the top (TDC/ speed/ ref. sensor hole) Turn the engine over a few times, nothing. Stuck a coat hanger down the TDC hole and from an inspection hole/ starter hole/ took a plate off the bellhousing (half square in front of the clutch) and wiggled my hanger all around, still nothing. Is the TDC hole at the very top, or is it on the pass. side more? I am wondering if it could fall down the drivers side part of the bellhousing?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It likely did go down the driver's side. At least, that's how I interpret the photo above - engine-eye view of the bellhousing looking back towards the rear of the car.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate to tell you but if it's between the flywheel and rear of the block it might never shake out. Mine was stuck on one of the block webs and there just isn't any room for most bolts to go since the flywheel rides so close. Mine was a sensor bolt; if I only lost a small 6mm bolt I might have just ignored it if it didn't rattle or bind.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 PM
thekidd
Instructor

isnt the 6mm allen pivot bolt bigger than the spped/ refeence senor bolts (the one that holds them in)?

I was looking/ pooking around on the passangers side, maybee thats why I did hear it rattle around.
KUHL- Did you ever get the bolt out?
If Icant get it out in the next fews days, I will get a new one at HomeDepot (6mm x ??") Im thinking this because, if the only way of getting it out is doing a clutch job pretty much, then I will just drive till the clutch breaks, might need it soon any way.

Quick Reply: Reference sensor pivot bolt into bellhousing hole