Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeing if some of my brotherin want to buy our Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeing if some of my brotherin want to buy our Boxster

I was just laid off so we are selling my wife's white 97 Boxster with a 3.4L 996 motor swap to pay for some bills. Bid early and bid often, NO RESERVE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

That's over 300 HP in a Boxster!!!

This is a fantastic DE/Track car or a great car to drive around on the street.

106K on the odometer with 10K less miles on the 3.4L motor.

The car has had a 32 point inspection at Porsche Of The Village in Cincinnnati, OH and was given a clean bill of health given the swap.

The good:

99 996 3.4 Motor

Spec Clutch at time of swap

New used transmission

2 exhausts - Stock and Borla SS Exhaust for track

Schnell Stainless Headers

Extra set of 17” Boxster Sport Wheels w/ used Nitto NT-01’s

Hawk Blue Brake Pads

Top in good shape

Clear rear window

Euro clear tail lights and turn signals

Late style 5 speed shift ****

Euro Sport Suspension

90% tread on Michelin street tires

No accident history

The not so good:

Check engine light on due to 996 DME used in swap looking for fuel emissions equipment for a 996

Brake wear sensor light on due to sensors being cut on a pad change at the track

Airbag light on due to having track seats in at one point and disconnecting the seat belt electrical connection under the seat. Airbags have been unplugged for the track but can be reconnected.

Driver’s rear panel seems to be resprayed for cosmetic reasons around the air intake vent.

This car pulls hard and stayed in front of a 996 GT3 that was on Hoosiers in an instructor group while only on Nittos at Putnam Park. Was later approached by the instructor and said I was hammering that Boxster.

We will miss the car deeply as it has been a great car. It is not a concourse winner as we like to drive our cars (Currently have 3 Porsches and one VW Jetta TDI) but it handles and drives like no other. This car turns in hard and precisely, if you have not driven the mid-engined Boxster you are in for a treat.

The car comes with the extra set of wheels that have track tires mounted, both exhausts for the car and Bentley Service Manual. I will also throw in any brake pads that I have, some are not even used yet - Hawk Blue compound.

Per the rules a BIN would be at $18000.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice car!

Good luck with the sale and sorry about the job!! What do (did) you do?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I was an engineer that did project management and engineering for GE Aircraft Engines.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

ME here too....work for a Construction firm.

Hope you find something soon !

Bump for a nice boxster !
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks Joe. ME here as well. It is rough out there but the leads are coming in, hopefully something will happen.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any chassis supports. The Boxter was never rated for 300+ hp. Evan the early S would twist the chassis.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Architect (intern). Laid off in December. Nice car, good thing you have replacements 968!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Is there any chassis supports. The Boxter was never rated for 300+ hp. Evan the early S would twist the chassis.
Huh? Where do you get this info from? I have never heard of a "twisted chassis" from a hp/torque bump like this on ANY modern car. Especially one where the same hard points are used to support a 310 hp motor in the current model year.

Maybe you're thinking of asking about upgrades like driveshafts, motor mounts, suspension and the like. Or maybe I just got trolled. Either way, it's spelled "Boxster."

To the OP: GL with the sale!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

No worries on a twisted chassis. The car has been tested with the power and there are no signs of a "twisted chassis". Thanks for all of the comments and good wishes!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

The original Boxster was limited in horse power due to the convertable chassis. The factory has been rather clear on this in my training(factory tech). In addition, the same car was not approved for 18" wheels. This was a big issue in the '97 models. The Boxster chassis was upgraded mid year '98 in several areas, there was a TSB that included the welding of reinforcement panels in the rear quarters. I am sorry if I came across as a troll. That was not, by any means, my intension.
And I think by now there are lots of quality aftermarket stuff to remedy these problems. The '97 boxster and early 996 cars went through rapid development after their release.
The current car is not the same chassis. I fully understand that the "pick-up" points are the same over the years. The new cars have a lot of 986 part numbers.
Again this was made very clear to me, There were even warranty issues with people who put 18"inch wheels on the early cars; 18" wheels were not offered as an option on these cars until the '99 model year.
I absolutly sure that the drivetrain(axles, mounts etc) will easily fit.
I have not refreshed my memory on this in a while, so I am sure a quik visit to the Boxster board will help me clarify myself.
With all that dribble I've spouted not withstanding, I AM sure of one thing - That is one really fast and fun car.
I would seriously regret if I have disuaded any interest in this car.
Any major problem would have been known by now.
Again good luck with the sale. I would love to have that car.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we should really inform all the 914 guys w/ 3.6L swaps then as well!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Of the several 914/3.6 swaps I have seen, they all have extensive frame supports or full cages. Also, there are problems on early 911's with 3.6s shoe-horned into the rear. It's a simple fact of torquey transplants, especially cab/targa chassis and these limitations are well known.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the positive comments. We have a bid, it is going to go. Bump to the top.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you have to worry about twisted chassis. Maybe in a Chevy Cavalier convertible, but not a Porsche.

My 944 cabriolet has a turbo engine in it, and it does not have any sort of chassis twist or flex. Double floor pans, increased support throughout the entire car. There are big steel plates all over the car, and a big vibration damper in the back.

It would take double that to make even the 944 chassis hurt. Not to mention a newer boxster
Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"But on the top of the wish list remains to be a more powerful engine. Porsche always afraid a more powerful Boxster could hurt the sales of its more profitable 911. But the Boxster chassis is actually better than the 911 and it deserves more power. Driven by Walter Rohl, the Boxster S lapped Nurburgring at 8min 18sec, or 9 second quicker than the old car. Is it fast enough? the answer is certainly negative to many Porsche fans. We hope Porsche could consider transplanting the 3.6 or even 3.8 engine of the 911 to create a super Boxster, especially in the presence of Mercedes SLK55 AMG. "

Quick Reply: Seeing if some of my brotherin want to buy our Boxster