Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 PM
RedRose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet question..

I have carpet in, but not sealed down at all. What is best to seal it down? I have dynamat down underneath... glad to say it's much quieter inside! So, products? I assume 3m something or other.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it does seal down. It just stays in place with the trip pieces..

Perhaps a few dabs of weatherstrip adhesive to keep it secure....
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM
1303RS
Racer

If you want to secure(glue) it down, you can use a contact glue called. DAP. It is found at your local upholstery shop or you can get a contact glue from home depot or lowes. Donot use the glue from a rattle can. will not set up. Glue both sides with a brush let it tack up and stick it ecactly where you want it. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
RedRose
Racer

Like I said, not a quality carpet kit, it doesn't have anything to anchor with, just the carpet, and something in squares for padding where your feet would be, it's like wool or something. So DAP, or some other contact adhesive for brushing on? Wonderful, thank you! Any ideas on getting the trim pieces that go on the center console, in black? Can't find them anywhere...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Eastep
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel brave , you could always drill holes in select spots, buy some OE type push button clips (you know the lil annoying plastic ones you lose half of while working on the interior )

if that fails try zip ties and duct tape
Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3M carpet adhesive spray....comes out like silly string...works awesome.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
RedRose
Racer

So 3m spray is good? I thought about drilling holes and stuff, but don't want to cause rust, and I do drive this car in rain, shine, snow, floodwaters, y'know, the normal stuff.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
3M carpet adhesive spray....comes out like silly string...works awesome.
I've used that also to re-glue some piece of factory carpet when I re-installed (like the carpet seam in the middle of the door sill - unglued it likes to pull out from under the plastic sill plate) as well as to glue down the bottom of the back seats. It worked well, but is a little messy.

I ended up spraying a glob onto some plastic and using a small brush to apply it to the smaller spots. If I were to do it again and could easily find something that wasn't a spray can, I would go that way, as the only time the spray can was really useful was on the bottom of the seat.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
RedRose
Racer

Well *none* of my carpet is attached, so I'll probably pull it up and spray a bunch, then lay it down and flatten. Any reasons I shouldn't do just that? Anything I should be using on the edges as extra protection or to keep it down?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRose
Anything I should be using on the edges as extra protection or to keep it down?
This is not factory carpet, right? Does it have bias tape or other thin material on the edges where it's supposed to attach under weatherstripping (like the back of the kick plates in front of the doors)? Is it two separate pieces like the factory ones (one for the front half of the cabin, one for the back....seam just near the middle of the center console going across the car)?

I've re-carpeted a few other cars before. Not using factory carpets is usually a challenge, and very little other than getting your hands on it, trying something, seeing if it lasts as you use the car and (usually) trying again is likely to get it the way you want it. But eventually you should be able to. Just takes some time.

One of my biggest problems was that I'd glue a seam, and then the carpet would stretch/settle with normal use and pull the glued seam apart. Once it was where it wanted to be and I re-glued the seam, it would stay.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
RedRose
Racer

Yeah, this is a terrible kit, actually. Didn't have a seam, I cut it in half there, not to create a seam, but it made it a ton easier to get it in there. I still haven't figured out how to remove the center console, I can't seem to move it out more than an inch or two to disconnect wires, and I've tried the CG tutorial. I'm just worried because this carpet is so shoddy, all the edges are not quite right, like on right side of pass. footwell there is the spot that goes up the right side, the carpet doesn't reach high enough. I have two squareish pieces with a flap of leather, I have no idea where those go, and I really don't wanna remove the quarter glass to get out that piece of vinyl to put in the carpet there... Sigh. So friggin' difficult. I kinda wish I could just get some decent black carpet from an actual car, it might even be cheaper.

Quick Reply: Carpet question..