Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you sir, are an imbecile.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i thought my PO was kindof a moron...little did I realize how lucky I really am!!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by krystar
working on a 66 mustang's engine bay is even more so. u got like 2ft of room in very direction between engine block and body. sooo spacious
Sounds like my old '74 F250. I used to crawl on in and sit on the inner fender well to do engine work (and often had to lean in to get to things). You could just about rebuild the whole motor using the original mounting as an engine stand.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Bubbaxxx26
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my heat does not work on my 944. I asked him if he can figure it out. He calls me back and tells me theres nothing wrong with it..... ummmmm..... except for the fact that its not working? morons..
Old 06-07-2009, 06:23 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My early car had a big green button under the drivers side dash that was wired up to the horn because he hadn't properly installed the momo boss for the crappy 'tuner' steering wheel he installed. He put a black carpet in a brown dash / beige trim car. That looked grreeeat. He stained the seats with coffee or cola (I hope) and just didn't worry about it. The car only had one front brake dust shield. Both front discs were nearly gone. The radiator end tanks were leaking and he just kept topping it up with water. The stereo was wired into whatever wire came to hand. The right front drivers side seat mount had collapsed at some point, and had been reconstructed with epoxy and ignorance, and all of the engine bay had been attacked with wire wool or something - removing most of the zinc and making most things rust... oh and then at some stage someone cut the car back and then shot it with clear again... without removing the doorhandles, mirrors, or even the stoneguards...

But other than that the car was mostly untouched, and that meant it was falling apart slowly. Apart from the clutch which he blew up.

Hmm... there must be more. But yeah - after 25 years it could be a lot worse.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
sj340
Advanced

I will have to save this thread if I ever sell my car.
A lot of people think you can find 944s cheap,and you can,but you get what you pay for it seems.
I would have to sell my 87 for more than most would pay,but it is a no excuse "perfect" car with 50,000 miles.
I thought I may have overpaid some,and did not mind,and after a year of owning,I still have not found anything wrong with it.
I guess my point is there are good cars out there,just don't be afraid to spend more up front for a nice one and leave the others for track cars.It ends up costing more to bring one back from the dead than a nice one would have cost in the first place.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

mine was not bad

fans were disconnected (why? I don't know ...)

wheels were 16x7 and 16x8 with late offset - which I didn't know and p/o didn't say

I should have asked for some kind of maintenance records, but oh well

overall though I'm happy with the car

also it appears that thermofan switch thing needs to be replaced, and I already have a new one
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Bubbaxxx26
AutoX

i bought mine and it seemed to be running really well with some minor problems but mostly cosmetic. it shifted good and everything. the clutch went out the next day... i want to know how he could have messed with it so it shifted almost perfect one day and went out the next. o well. close to one million dollars later i have a new clutch in and its running perfect. my centerforce dual friction clutch is treating me well
Old 06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
savvas944
Instructor

i wish also to share a bit of experience here .
Bought a nice 968 , from an ex RUF mechanic ,and in the proces of upgrading and maintainace, have discovered very weird items ,
1. the complete exhaust system was made up by 8 pipes of various diameters welded to gether , including 2 mismatched silencers,and 2 mountings missing,the car would not rev beyond 6,000 rpm.
2. the option 220 LSD, had the 2 springs on one side .with no spring disc on the other side, very weird
lsd one sided action, wih the oil as thin as water.
3. the dashport long grille held with superglue, as well as the climate control panel.
4. all 4 shocks were leaking, and the 2 front pistons were going in and out freely, and no bump stops at all.
5. the exhaust manifold flanges mating to the down pipes were 3 tight nuts ,one loose ,and 2 missing.
6. rr drive shaft grease was like water, never been changed and was leaking all over.
7. the distributor cover was tight on the cam locating cover, but the 2 bolts holding it were missing,
with the cap oscillating on the cover slicing into the copper contacts each time.!!!
8. the 3 point plugs had such a gap , was amazed they were firing at all.
9. transaxle mount rubber was like jello,could swing the whole lot 3 cm by hand.
10.bonnet shocks shot.
11. driver seat leather, torn to pieces (by a wildcat?) , as well as the 2 back ones and the leather
on the passenger side wavy from not ever been polished or waxed.

the list was endless.

amazingly, the brakes were really working with new pads , braded hoses and bled perfectly.

the list was endless i could type all night.Spend the last 8 months correcting all the mess.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

wow this is an interesting thread to read i have been lucky i guess some of you have had some work on you hands!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to rename this thread to "Just let it all out" or "Now I feel alot better."

Quick Reply: you sir, are an imbecile.