Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best adhesive to use for resealing hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is the best adhesive to use for resealing hatch?

OK, the hatch has gotten to the point of being irritating to listen to- any bump and it makes noise, and my 944 is my DD. Coupled with the fact I will soon have my subs installed, and I will have a bad case of the rattles, so I need to do this soon.

I have done this once before, and the stuff I got turned yellow and was terrible. I need something that is either clear or black that won't turn colors after sitting out in the sun for 10 years, and will hold tight another 20, it can't shrink when curing. So what would the pros use?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M Window Weld, 3/8 inch by 15 feet will have about 8-10 inches left over, any old auto parts place sells it... but make sure you place the fram to the glass with the strip in between, and place the TOP of the frame on the edge of the glass, this will prevent gaps when finished... take your time, keep it clean, and be carefull...
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by alex
OK, the hatch has gotten to the point of being irritating to listen to- any bump and it makes noise, and my 944 is my DD. Coupled with the fact I will soon have my subs installed, and I will have a bad case of the rattles, so I need to do this soon.

I have done this once before, and the stuff I got turned yellow and was terrible. I need something that is either clear or black that won't turn colors after sitting out in the sun for 10 years, and will hold tight another 20, it can't shrink when curing. So what would the pros use?
While I'm sure you have glass separation, have you replaced the gasket and adjusted (or replaced) your hatch pins? All of my hatch rattle was because of bad fitment, not the separating glass.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarylJ
While I'm sure you have glass separation, have you replaced the gasket and adjusted (or replaced) your hatch pins? All of my hatch rattle was because of bad fitment, not the separating glass.
Not yet, that stuff is on the list also. I am probably going to order a new seal and some of Sharky's pins this week. There are actually several different sounds coming from back there, you are probably right. A couple months ago I had some boxes loaded in the back, and it occurred to me at I was closing the hatch to stop, but it was too late. A box hit the glass and basically accelerated the separation process. Since then, it has made a lot more noise. It is probably a combination of both.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
3M Window Weld, 3/8 inch by 15 feet will have about 8-10 inches left over, any old auto parts place sells it... but make sure you place the fram to the glass with the strip in between, and place the TOP of the frame on the edge of the glass, this will prevent gaps when finished... take your time, keep it clean, and be carefull...
Thank you, I'll pick some up.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

window weld, or heavy bodied seam sealer.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I filled the gaps with clear silicone RTV on my 83 and it held up really well and didn't yellow. Good luck with it!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alex
Not yet, that stuff is on the list also. I am probably going to order a new seal and some of Sharky's pins this week. There are actually several different sounds coming from back there, you are probably right. A couple months ago I had some boxes loaded in the back, and it occurred to me at I was closing the hatch to stop, but it was too late. A box hit the glass and basically accelerated the separation process. Since then, it has made a lot more noise. It is probably a combination of both.
Someone on here was selling AM seal for the rear hatch... Seek and ye shal find... Or ask Porshh951... I think he got some, If it is working well for him, ask him where he got it.... Try E-mail...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Wait John, you make it sound as if it's a length of tape or something. That's not what I have in my garage waiting for me to get to this job. I bought what the KCWS write up calls for and that was 3M Window Weld Part # 8609 as seen here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8609-Windo-...3908341&sr=8-2

You used something else?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Wait John, you make it sound as if it's a length of tape or something. That's not what I have in my garage waiting for me to get to this job. I bought what the KCWS write up calls for and that was 3M Window Weld Part # 8609 as seen here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8609-Windo-...3908341&sr=8-2

You used something else?
When using 8609, you MAY notice that it becomes SUPER rubbery, Kinda quick (like, get some on your hand and by the time you go to wash it off, it is hard enough to peel off...) It cures WAY quick (trust me, first two times I did my hatch it delaminated within OH about a week) I am now 1 week on Window Weld RIBON:
"Product Details:
Positive Bond on Contact
Unlimited Shelf Life
Clean Interior Sightline
CRL 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer is a tape-type sealer used in the replacement of windshields and backlites on all butyl set car and truck models.
It supports the glass and seals on contact.
CRL 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer forms a water tight seal when used with CRL Butyl Primer CRL1106."
This stuff makes 8609 look like silly putty... stick it where you want it, because it is TAR in 3/8 round form, and takes some super human effort to get off... I'll see how well it holds up to my new hatch struts oh..maybe never, maybe in a few weeks or so...super sticky, super tough, super NASTY, but one hell of a sealant... took me a while to lay my hands on some (had to order it from Advance Auto, they don't cary it local to me) but it is the same crap I used to put on my tail lights (I can run them without hardware..ask me how I know)...

BTW "Window Weld" is a line not a product... I shal see how well I like the ribon... but for me NEW 8609 FAILED...TWICE.... IN THE SAME AREA (top of the glass)
http://www.technologylk.com/product/...tm?src=froogle

just noticed on the MSDS..and this MUST mean it is good s***..
"CANCER WARNING: CONTAINS A CHEMICAL WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER:
INGREDIENT: CARBON BLACK, CAS# 1333−86−4, CLASS DESCRIPTION: GROUP
2B, REGULATION: IARC. <B> INGREDIENT: QUARTZ SILICA, CAS# 14808−60−7,
CLASS DESCRIPTION: GROUP 1, REGULATION: IARC. <B> INGREDIENT:
QUARTZ SILICA, CAS# 14808−60−7, CLASS DESCRIPTION: KNOWN HUMAN
CARCINOGEN, REGULATION: NTPC."
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting. Let me know if you see any signs of failure in the next few weeks. I might have to change my plans based on your experiences.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
I might have to change my plans based on your experiences.
If I only had a nickle for everyone who has told me that...
Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also planning to reseal my hatch in the near future. I thought it would last the summer, but its clearly not going to.

The thing I didn't like about the 3M 8609 stuff is the hatch had to cure for a few days before it could be put back on the car. My 944 is my DD. I don't have a few days of down time.

With this ribbon you found, is there a long cure time, or will overnight work?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
New hatch shocks help cut down the noise, also.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
New hatch shocks help cut down the noise, also.
By placing enough force on the frame to completely delaminate the glass from it... If your glass is even SLIGHTLY delaminated, DON'T replace the struts with NEW or you will become very aware of the delamination and it's affect.... That is what started my SAGA...

Quick Reply: What is the best adhesive to use for resealing hatch?