Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange steering noise *couldn't find anything like it using search*

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 05:39 AM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Default Strange steering noise *couldn't find anything like it using search*

I seem to notice every so often while driving my car my steering makes the strangest noise while turning.

It never happens at high speeds and is very intermittent, only while performing slow maneuvers such as making tight turns at intersections and such.

While turning left or right, the car will make this loud metallic "WHOOP" noise. Sometimes it'll last for only a split second, sometimes it'll last several seconds.

I don't know how else to describe the noise other than I guess running your finger along the edge of a crystal glass but slightly lower pitched, or maybe you have a rather large crystal glass?

My truck used to make the same noise whenever it finally slowed to a stop, it turned out to be something with the brakes, and this does seem to be a brake noise (can't think of any other engine part that would make the same noise) but I can't imagine how the brakes could factor into this. Unless, is it possible that a brake caliper can somehow engage just by turning the wheel? My brake lines seem to be free and clear so I can't imagine how that would happen.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:49 AM
Paz
Intermediate

Hmmm, my 968 makes a similar noise but only when turning right and only when stationary or at very low speed.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions as to how this can be resolved . . .
Old 05-31-2009 | 11:37 AM
RedRose
Racer

Probably an issue with your steering rack.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And it's NOT the regular PS groaning noise, right? This noise indicates air in the pump, which either means your fluid level is low, or you have a leak where air is being sucked in.

Maybe take off your PS belt and drive around without PS to determine if the noise is PS related or not?

Maybe it's the sound of your tires squealing with the mAdd tUrN!nG $kiLLz.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paz
Hmmm, my 968 makes a similar noise but only when turning right and only when stationary or at very low speed.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions as to how this can be resolved . . .
sounds like what they diagonosed on my car as the strut bearing. the bearing on top of teh strut where it meets the car.

it sounds almost like the sound of a parking pawl on an automatic. sort of a groan.

camber plates or the KLA mounts are the way to go on a late car. $30 bearings on an early car.
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:32 PM
Paz
Intermediate

Tom, if that's the case then I'll be very happy, I'm having KW v3's fitted in two weeks time.

I'll be getting the KW uni-ball top-mounts and PolyFlex bushes fitted at the same time, maybe even MO30 anti roll bars and a strut brace as well if funds allow.
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:44 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Good to know, I shall take a look at that!
Old 05-31-2009 | 06:43 PM
76 911s
Racer

If its not steering groan check your brakes. Last time I changed rotors/pads on my 968, I didn't push the pistons far enough out on the fronts, and when I made tight lowspeed turns (right turns at intersections, turning into driveways) I got this odd sound like you described with the low-pitched finger on crystal glass. I figured that the pads were close enough to the rotor to contact. After resetting the pistons, problem solved! Now, I still get the same sound every once in awhile coming to a stop, but thats because I have Pagid Blacks and no anti squeal pucks.

Quick Reply: Strange steering noise *couldn't find anything like it using search*