Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help?

I bought this for the 944...keep in mind, im mechanically inclined, but ive never had to wire guages like this before and dont wanna mess it up and mount it, and have to fix it cause something is wrong haha

however....ive never done this hahah.

so im looking at the stuff on it and im scratching my head.

i have this on the back of the oil pressure gauge

with no...what im guessing is sending unit.

but i have two of these. one is water temp, and the other im guessing is oil temp? or maybe its for the oil pressure??

and these are connected to the water temp and oil temp gauges

lol ok now how do i hook this up? the only instructions that came with it were for the wiring to ignition for power
Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, a mechanical oil pressure gauge.... Dude, return this and get your money back.... goto a performance shop and get them to install a proper gauge set for the parameters you want to monitor...

It looks to me like you have:
1 mechanical oil Presure gauge (you should scrap and get an eletric as you already have an oil presure sender on your car)
1 Oil Tem gauge, with attatched thermocouple (for sensing the temp) AND a remote sensor? you need one or the other, not both...
1 water temp gauge, with attatched thermocouple (for sensing temp) AND a remote sensor... see previous item..

These would be right at home on a dirt track scrambler, but IMHO look WAY out of place on a Porsche Dash (unless is it a completely stripped track car) and even then would probably look way out of place...

Not sure having these gauges in your car is worth the effort to try to make them work...
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea mechanical oil pressure guages belong under the hood scoop in a chevelle or a nova.

oil pressure comes stock with a 944.

where do u plan on mounting the gauge panel assuming u get it wired up?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

well my car is track stripped, u guys may have missed my post yesterday on my progress build
but i have a gt racing dash

ya i bought these off ebay figuring it was electric not all mechanical. and the other sensors which are HUGE NPT are for the dummy lights

so hm....well maybe i can get the gauges out and buy all electric ones? and do the stock wiring for oil temp, oil pressure and water have specific parameters like fuel gauges... like this many ohms full, this many ohms empty

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 AM
krystar
Drifting

ahh track bitch

i'd say use the stock oil pressure. it's there already...why reinvent the wheel?

water temp sender, u can splice it into the upper radiator hose. I've seen those adapters where it's barbs on either end and a threaded hole in the middle for your sensor. check paragon or lindsey racing.

not sure where u'd put oil temp sender....i'd imagine maybe oil filter sandwich? didn't the later 944's or 968's have a low oil level sensor? maybe use that hole for the threaded thermocouple instead?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

You can get oil temp sender that threads into the drain plug hole...

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944OILDP.html
Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You can get oil temp sender that threads into the drain plug hole...
And then you're actually getting a sump temperature, not one that either just went through the cooler or is just getting ready to go to the cooler. Not sure that there would be a huge difference in most circumstances, but sampling from the biggest lump of thermal mass would logically give you better average readings.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

OT: whered you get the yellow tinted lights??
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM
krystar
Drifting

also OT, do u still have the old dash? can u take some pictures to help me figure out where the front windshield vents get their air from.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

i got the yellow lights off ebay =) i can find the sellers name for u if u like? im sure he sells them often.

thanks for that link!! i goto LR all the time and never saw that!

ill be updating with electrical gauges btw.

i no longer have the old dash with me =/ but....there is no venting that goes along the length of the whole dash for the windshield krystar, when i took it all apart, the only portion that actually directs it to the windshield is a 6 in section, theres a flapper on the top of the HVAC unit
Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

yeah try to find me the sellers name, would look good on the rally car I have been dreaming of building...

Quick Reply: help?