Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car too low to change tire with emergency jack!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Associated with this it may be useful to occasionally inflate the spare to make sure it holds air and (the first time you do it) to see how it behaves as it inflates. When I had to use mine, the State Trooper who was watching was asking if it was supposed to look the way it did and all I could think was "How do I know, I've never done this before!"
Old 07-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom:
<strong>...it may be useful to occasionally inflate the spare to make sure it holds air and (the first time you do it) to see how it behaves as it inflates. When I had to use mine, the State Trooper who was watching was asking if it was supposed to look the way it did...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, the first time I ever used my spare, I thought it was about to explode! It was like HALF of it filled up and then the OTHER HALF filled up- in other words, one side stayed compressed, while the other side was blown up- it was ridiculous looking

I've never had trouble getting the jack under my car- although it IS CLOSE! I scrape enough stuff as it is, so there's NO WAY I'd want to lower it anymore (for the street). I WOULD like to find a lighter spare than this 29lb behemoth though! It's supposed to be the lightweight aluminum one too- that's scary! Any ideas on a smaller (lighter) wheel that would fit, that I could use as a spare?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:48 AM
tt9714
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like the block of wood approach is a good one. Somehow when you're on the side of the road, it's 90F outside, cars are screaming by at 75 MPH, your girlfriend is standing next to you, and you're almost home after a 300 mile road trip, your brain stops working after a while.

Well I had similar thoughts about my spare tire. I'm sure that it is original, but the rubber appeared to be in good shape. I think the fact that it was stored in the trunk (out of the sun) kept the material in decent shape. It held 36 psi perfectly, and the sidewalls were in decent shape. Mine inflated "one side at a time" also. Apparently it is supposed to return to its original shape within a few hours. We'll see.

Now if I only had an internet connection and laptop computer in my car, I could have posted this thread earlier to get roadside assistance.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Tom
Pro

My experience with the spare was the same, and it really looked scary for a while until the other side came up. Also my compressor wouldn't stay plugged in. My spare looked in good shape but you wonder about something that's been around since 1986.

It will deflate promptly. I had the valve stem removed when we started to have the new tire mounted and it was down by the time the new tire was on the car.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:08 PM
bs
Pro

here is a question for all of you who have had a flat tire and used the porsche spare: did your compressor mate with the valve stem on the tire correctly? I've never used my compressor with the spare, but it will not seal to my tires or to those of any other car i've tried. it's as if the nozzle is too long so that the threaded end of the valve stem doesn't extend far enough inside to get to whatever is supposed to catch it and clamp it in place.... ie put the nozzle on the tire, clamp down the locking lever, and the nozzle falls right off as soon as you let go.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Tom
Pro

I didn't have that problem as the hose locked on the valve stem, but I also don't have the original compressor (I don't think) although it appears to be the same design/manufacture.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Jinolian
1st Gear

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->After much use, my tires have become <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://toptirereviews.com/how-to-ma...s-black-again/ and I decided to find a way to quickly return them to their original state, I watched numerous videos on YouTube, but did not find anything, I have long asked friends and acquaintances, but no one ever advised anything sensible, but then I googled how to return the "naked" tires to their original state and quickly did it, I recommend!
Old 10-18-2021, 03:09 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinolian
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->After much use, my tires have become <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://toptirereviews.com/how-to-ma...s-black-again/ and I decided to find a way to quickly return them to their original state, I watched numerous videos on YouTube, but did not find anything, I have long asked friends and acquaintances, but no one ever advised anything sensible, but then I googled how to return the "naked" tires to their original state and quickly did it, I recommend!
This may be the oldest thread I have seen revived this year.... Tell me in English what you mean...
Old 10-18-2021, 03:10 PM
S-90GT
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's my "truly flat tire" recently on freeway, July 120 degrees mid-day desert. Fun!

Quick Reply: Car too low to change tire with emergency jack!!!