Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA cylinder scored

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 10:58 PM
James Hamm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NA cylinder scored

I have a spare motor that I'm going to rebuild. After removing the pistons today, I found the #4 cylinder wall scored in the ring mating surface. It's pretty even all the way around. Is there anyone on the east coast that can hone and re-plate the cylinder back to stock specs? I haven't completed all the measurements on the sub-components but everything looks in good repair. I believe this motor blew a head gasket and probably threw some debris in the #4 cyl. Please give me your opinions and any options for a good quality repair.

James Hamm
Old 07-08-2002, 12:24 AM
Human Opiate
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be able to just hone it out and use a slightly oversized piston ring... Or hone it and then sleeve it? There should definately be someone in NC that could do the honing, they have to have a particular one though for aluminum I believe, I do not know the exact specifics on the hone but someone here does I'm sure they will chime in =).
Old 07-08-2002, 01:01 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A hone is just used to deglaze a cylinder, it isn't intended to remove much metal. If your damage is too great, you would have to rebore at the least.

You need to talk to an engine rebuilder with the right tools to measure the damage and recommend a repair. I would look for someone in your area who has experience with these cars.

Quick Reply: NA cylinder scored