Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper strut bearing

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Well, I got the KLA plates from John yesterday and started to put them in. More like started to take them off. Fortunately Joe came by with his impact wrench.

A bit of B.S.ing and not too much later and we buttoned up the car and took it for a drive.

Not only did it make the same noise, it made more noise.

Drove it today and it started making noise over bumps. Had the guys from the shop on the phone for a while, and got suggestions of what to look for. Spoke to my cousin the recently retired from government motors and got thoughts from him. Joe made a few phone calls and got some other thoughts.

We jacked up the car, and while looking under the car, joe slowly jacking up the strut by the control arm, and me trying to see if i feel the click on this piece or that piece when joe said "give me a 19 with an extension on a 1/2 socket" "what do you see" "just want to try something".....

turns out cross member bolts were loose. guess thats why sometimes it was a click and other times a groan.

Now it is quiet as a church mouse. until the next 944 adventure starts.

Moral:
If she is making noise, make sure you check your nuts, err i mean bolts.
Franks and beans... LOL

Glad to hear it all went together straight away... I got my ARHK, 300lb springs, and GC plates installed on Tuesday, OMG I'm in love, and front end is now level with the back...

Good luck with the car and the KLA plates, they served me well, and should you as well...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
turns out cross member bolts were loose. guess thats why sometimes it was a click and other times a groan.
Tom - I just found the SAME THING last weekend and forgot to add it to this thread. I did my strut bearings and dropped in the new strut cartridges, and things were significantly quieted down, but not every snap crackle and pop from the front when going over things the would completely unload the front suspension.

Did some searches on here and found a 3 or 4 year old post suggesting the cross member and damn if that wasn't the rest of the noise. My bolts were kept well lubricated by the POs lack of replacing any seals on the car and were just loose enough to cause knocking every once in a while.

Glad you found yours as well. It's kind of a scary thing to have falling off of the car.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

So Tom what plates did you end up going with that fit the m030? The difference, you probably noticed, is that m030 struts are a larger diameter than regular ones. At least mine were when I upgraded to them.

I know the upper mounts will go eventually and I'll be screwed because putting in KLA mounts will send me out of stock class for SCCA.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
So Tom what plates did you end up going with that fit the m030? The difference, you probably noticed, is that m030 struts are a larger diameter than regular ones. At least mine were when I upgraded to them.

I know the upper mounts will go eventually and I'll be screwed because putting in KLA mounts will send me out of stock class for SCCA.
i used the KLA plates. turns out my M030 plates were not bad. PM me when you need them. they will be on a shelf unless i find another project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper strut bearing