Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have a Saratoga Top?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else have a Saratoga Top?

I just bought the one Dineth had for sale here in Austin. I really like it - but it seals like crap (expected) even though the seals are in nice condition - a lot of wind noise with the windows up on the way home - almost unbearable at 70+ MPH - but fortunately I drive with the windows down about 90% of the time anyway... I'd read that they weren't great and my car is garage kept and I don't drive it when it's crappy outside - so no worries.

I was more curious if there were any tricks to getting it to ratchet on to the electric sunroof lifters. Dineth and I messed with it on my car and it seemed that it had to be sitting in just the right spot for the lifters to come back up. Even with them connected, the sunroof barely pops up - about half what the stock sunroof did. Apparently there are some sensors in there that tell the lifters that something is attached to keep them from coming up with no sunroof - but damn they are sensitive.

Anyway, helpful hints from those who have one of these is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I make a point to convert the electric sunroofs to manual operation on all my cars. I also have a manual Saratoga Top I can switch between the two 86 951's. It seals just fine and the only gripe I have is the odd squeak under certain atmospheric conditions. Getting an electric Saratoga Top to seal correctly is well beyond my skill set because of the OE limit switches and a clutch are involved. I love my manual Saratoga but not in the Summer.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

is there a write-up somewhere on what's involved to convert? I'd be interested in checking that out.

That said, I don't think converting to manual is going to cut down on the wind noise, no?

Why do you dislike in summer? Assume heat issues?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got a Saratoga and the wind noise at 75-80 mph on I95 is the only thing I had to get use to. I was turning the stereo up louder than the noise but now that warmer weather has arrived I tilt it open about half a inch and the whistling stops. I know it's the seal I read it here that there is a VW seal that replaces the Saratoga seal perfectly. I just haven't got one yet.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry but I don't think you can covert an electric Saratoga to manual due to the mounts. Converting a 944 electric SR to manual is a breeze though and well worth it IMO.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Anaheim944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No there isnt a DIY for converting to a manual sunroof from electric. Here's a link though http://www.sidv.org/manualsunroof.htm
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sands944
I recently got a Saratoga and the wind noise at 75-80 mph on I95 is the only thing I had to get use to. I was turning the stereo up louder than the noise but now that warmer weather has arrived I tilt it open about half a inch and the whistling stops. I know it's the seal I read it here that there is a VW seal that replaces the Saratoga seal perfectly. I just haven't got one yet.
Any linkage to those seals?
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

I've replaced mine with generic window weather-stripping from a local hardware store (the original that came with Saratoga looks like some hardware store weather-stripping anyways....). It helped, but didn't eliminate wind noise.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

To combat the wind noise, I run with mine cracked open, say about 1/2". Just a bit stops the whistle.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:55 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Thanks - but that's part of the problem. Even though we got it hooked up it still doesn't open but just a crack...which I guess is good enough huh? Are those not supposed to open the same distance as the stock roof? With the front latches off it will open a tad bit more - but not much.

Can someone please explain the process? I've been getting the saratoga in place and then putting the key in the first position and pressing the sunroof button to get the lifter to come up a bit. It only comes up about an inch and doesn't seem to get far enough up so that the flange piece is in the groove but it stops where it stops. When I then turn the key to the start position to raise the sunroof, it just pushes it about an eighth of an inch - barely gets it open. But then, it's hosed up and won't come back down. So, I have to put the key in the first position again and lower the lifter all the way back down to reset everything. With it all disengaged I can freely move the sunroof up from the back without obstruction so it's not like its getting hung up on something.

It's really frustrating. I can put the stock top back and and up and down with no problems. Weird thing is with the Saratoga is that it's so picky about placement. With the ignition on the first stop it won't even come up until I jiggle around on it and get it pushed so that it's as far up towards the front of the car as possible.

Has anyone messed around with loosening the screw in those back plates and moving it around a little to get the lifter/flange to get into that groove?

Last edited by choinga; 05-18-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by choinga
Thanks - but that's part of the problem. Even though we got it hooked up it still doesn't open but just a crack...which I guess is good enough huh? Are those not supposed to open the same distance as the stock roof? With the front latches off it will open a tad bit more - but not much.

Can someone please explain the process? I've been getting the saratoga in place and then putting the key in the first position and pressing the sunroof button to get the lifter to come up a bit. It only comes up about an inch and doesn't seem to get far enough up so that the flange piece is in the groove but it stops where it stops. When I then turn the key to the start position to raise the sunroof, it just pushes it about an eighth of an inch - barely gets it open. With it all disengaged I can freely move the sunroof up from the back without obstruction so it's not like its getting hung up on something.

It's really frustrating. I can put the stock top back and and up and down with no problems. Weird thing is with the Saratoga is that it's so picky about placement. With the ignition on the first stop it won't even come up until I jiggle around on it and get it pushed so that it's as far up towards the front of the car as possible.

Has anyone messed around with loosening the screw in those back plates and moving it around a little to get the lifter/flange to get into that groove?
Look at the front center tab - there is a microswitch on your car that will stop the top from lifting if the tab on the roof is not adjusted properly. My guess is that your stock roof has it set correctly, but the Saratoga tab/prong is bent down a bit too far.

Good luck, Keith
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

ah, so it's that metal tab in the middle that's controlling that? Interesting...I'll mess with that tomorrow - may have to bend it up a little I guess.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Heh - that was it. I took it out and bent that thing a little and now it makes hard contact. Before I did that I could sit in the car and push on it and hear the switch on/off underneath it. So, when the roof went up a little it caused the switch to depress. Thanks!!

Here's a few pics for those interested...
Attached Images     
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

I'm still up studying and thought I'd procrastinate a little with Rennlist I'm really glad to see you got it all sorted out with top, and I hope you enjoy it. Next time there's an Austin get-together or something I'd like to get a ride in your car. It looked and sounded awesome pulling out of the parking lot.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Yup - thanks again...I'm not studying but instead spending the evening putting a couple PowerPoint decks together for events I'm presenting at later this week...about to call it a night.

The sound is mostly due to the 3" Speedforce racing exhaust with no cat. I'd love to give you a ride - in the next month or so I'll have the Vitesse MAF and new WG installed - should be a hoot then. I'll check with the 928 guys again and see what they are up to. I know most of the folks that get together over at Rudy's drive them - Paul and I were the only 4 bangers there last time.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a Saratoga Top?