Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydrolic/brake fluid leak from clutch housing (late 944 n/a)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
jtessaro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydrolic/brake fluid leak from clutch housing (late 944 n/a)

I recently bled my brakes/clutch through the use of a power bleeder after resealing some of my brake cylinders. And now the system seems to be leaking as the clutch is loosing pressure.

I just pulled the starter and began to bleed the slave again and as I did i realized the leak is coming out of the 1" inspection hole on the clutch housing

Any Ideas on what could be leaking? I already have the feeling I will be doing some serious disassembly to follow but I would relly like to know what I am trying to fix before I tear the whole thing apart.

Last edited by jtessaro; 05-18-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 AM
jtessaro
Intermediate

bump
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch slave cylinder... leaking from the shaft inside the bellhousing.. get a new one, takes 10 minutes to swap, might also want a new master and the hose in between at the same time... master will add some time, but is a good idea to change at the same time.. hose gets brittle, and can split when moved durring the slave cyl changeout...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Clutch slave cylinder... leaking from the shaft inside the bellhousing.. get a new one, takes 10 minutes to swap, ...
Even with a lift, I think 10 minutes is grossly underestimating this task.

To get the slave cylinder out you'll need to remove the starter heat shield, drop the starter, and then remove the slave cylinder. More importantly, bleeding the slave cylinder will definitely take some time to do properly.

I think it's good to give people advice but there's no need to make things sound easier/faster than they really are.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
jtessaro
Intermediate

Thank you, I was kind of thinking I might end up pulling the clutch, but if its the slave and all I have to do is remove the starter that's a relief as I have already done that a couple times and its no big deal.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Even with a lift, I think 10 minutes is grossly underestimating this task.

To get the slave cylinder out you'll need to remove the starter heat shield, drop the starter, and then remove the slave cylinder. More importantly, bleeding the slave cylinder will definitely take some time to do properly.

I think it's good to give people advice but there's no need to make things sound easier/faster than they really are.
Luis...you are absolutely correct. While this is an easy job, its not 10 minutes.

If you don't have a turbo, you might not even have a heat shield, which saves some time. Either way, you are in for jacking and properly securing your car so you can get under it, removing a hydraulic line which may or may not be rusty and stuck (and break as you are trying to remove it) and 2 other bold to even get the old stuff off. There's at least 30 minutes in an average NON AUTO SHOP garage.

Then you toss the new one in and hook it up. If the first part went well, this takes even less time. So now you're optimistically 45 minutes into this job.

Now you hopefully have a pressure bleeder. You fill it with fluid and bleed your clutch. Another 15 minutes if all goes reasonable well.

Now everything is probably working, if all went well, and at least 1/2 of your car is in the air. Get it back down and you're at over an hour give or take.

Not a big deal, but NOT 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: hydrolic/brake fluid leak from clutch housing (late 944 n/a)