Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery connector...eliminate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery connector...eliminate?

During HVAC removal and...simplifying the wire harness...i discovered this guy hidden.

two of the wires are jumping to lines...should i just jump them together shorter up the road and eliminate the others that apparently dont need continuity?

red jumps blue and red/yellow
green jumps green and black/white

no numbers on the junction.

my car is an 85.5 N/A
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd be interested to know if this has anything to do with the factory alarm, out of curiosity.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

im not sure...2 of the wires

yellow
yellow/brown gp into the door...but they are not connected to anything in the connector...so maybe its for an option on the door that isnt there?
the rest of the wires disappear into the harness behind the column, which i havent stripped that part of the harness yet.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 75ohm
I'd be interested to know if this has anything to do with the factory alarm, out of curiosity.
That was my first thought too....which I believe was the cause of my no-start condition after removing all the interior wiring.

Proceed with caution. Maybe pull it, then see if the car starts before going any further?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780
That was my first thought too....which I believe was the cause of my no-start condition after removing all the interior wiring.

Proceed with caution. Maybe pull it, then see if the car starts before going any further?
i sure hope not lol. cause ive cut the other wires out of the car already except those ones that apparently need that continuity...ive cut ALOT of wires out of the system....i guess i should see if the car will crank...

ok back to the car and i hope it atleast cranks...i have a lot of vac lines removed at the moment from when i eliminated emissions
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

well i put the cables on it, and i got a crank out of her. i didnt try for more because of all the vac lines removed, and i prob dont have much coolant in it after looping the heater hoses.

but i still have window power, and turn signals and brake lights...all i need right now...so off i go to eliminating more wires...

im just going to shorten those wires and keep the continuity there just to be safe.

and im not sure if i have a factory alarm? under the console is a 'clifford' alarm box, but its not plugged into anything, its just zip tied up there...i can see the wires its suppose to goto but...not gonna hook it up haha.

and after all this i have the hefty job of trying to wire up all after market gauges...which ive never actually done that before, so this should be interesting. ive always run stock guages with an after market boost and egt gauge...

oh yea heres the pic of the blower and hvac system if anyone wants to see.

it was easy to take out...easier than i thought. i thought it would be heavier, but i think all of this here weighs around 25-30lbs
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sending you a PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 AM
supes6
Racer

I found that same connector yesterday while I was doing my reference sensor harness... but the black connector you have pictured was just ziptied to the wiring harness and not actually connected to anything. (and I couldn't find any plugs in the area that it would fit into) I do have the factory alarm but I've never used it so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the alarm.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supes6
I found that same connector yesterday while I was doing my reference sensor harness... but the black connector you have pictured was just ziptied to the wiring harness and not actually connected to anything. (and I couldn't find any plugs in the area that it would fit into) I do have the factory alarm but I've never used it so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the alarm.

what reference sensor harness??

im still confused as to what these reference sensors do in the 944...or where they are...
Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

found another weird thing...i think it has to do with the clifford alarm...that was never plugged in...

can i just cut this out??

it has black and white wires to it
then theres a...like ready light for the alarm? that has like purple and black running to it...

and for reference, this is all the wire i took out...so far

mostly done
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

heres an updated engine bay pic for giggles
Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wires in your original question are indeed for the factory alarm. I cut mine further upstream and soldered them together in the way yours are jumpered.
It cranks but does the tach work? It's a common malady that the tach wires which are hanging around the ECU harness upstream from the ECU get cut while you're doing all this. I know from experience! Judging by search I'm not the only one, either.
What about that big, heavy battery? And still factory strut mounts?
Looking good!
Cheers
Randy
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
The wires in your original question are indeed for the factory alarm. I cut mine further upstream and soldered them together in the way yours are jumpered.
It cranks but does the tach work? It's a common malady that the tach wires which are hanging around the ECU harness upstream from the ECU get cut while you're doing all this. I know from experience! Judging by search I'm not the only one, either.
What about that big, heavy battery? And still factory strut mounts?
Looking good!
Cheers
Randy
gimmi time with the other stuff lol. as far as suspension goes, i was looking for full coilovers first.

hmmm i didnt worry about a tach cause ill be wiring in an aftermarket one =D

Quick Reply: mystery connector...eliminate?