Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I hearing rod bearing noise or am i paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I hearing rod bearing noise or am i paranoid?

the other day I got on the ground in the parking lot to check under my car for leaks as I a puddle (wasn't from my car) and I noticed what sounds like noise coming from the crankcase (oil pan), like mechanical noise clicking really fast not crazy loud like I can't hear it inside the car and its not violent sounding just continous mechanical clicking and it sounds like its coming from the crankcase.

but then I popped the hood and noticed I can hear loud mehanical sounds like clicking from the top also and pretty loud and those I know are the injectors firing. now i'm not sure if I'm hearing the injectors from under the car or if it's from inside the engine.

the reason i'm being parnoid is that in january my oprv was stuck open one morning and the car had zero oil pressure and I just let it idle for like 5 minutes maybe more I don't remember I just fire the car every morning and go back in to finish my breakfast or whatever and let it warm up. I cam back and the engine sounded super loud because it was starving for oil so I shut it off. I think my oprv problem is fixed now (was a loose cylinder the oprv rides in which I reglued in the block).

since then the car idles at 2 bar when hot, when I start it up recently when its sitting overnight sometimes it takes like 1-2 seconds to get oil pressure and jump to 5 bar. other than than when I rev it the oil pressure goes to just over 4 bar when hot and 5 bar when still cold.

I"ve been driving it everday since the no oil pressure incident in january so for 3 months it's been driven everyday probably 1500 kms? i'm guessing my odo just broke.

if I had damaged the engine (bearings) would the engine have failed by now.

I went to youtube and listened to some videos of spun rod bearings and my engine definately doesn't sound like that there is no loud knocking sound like that just mechanical noise like fast clicking and its possible i'm hearing the injectors from below but could be the bearings?

so my question is do bearings that are damaged or on their way out start making noise or do they usually just go out suddenly and make really loud noises.

sorry I know diagnosing mechanical noise from my description is hard.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

my car idles at 3.5-4 bar warm...
Old 05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

i'm pretty sure my oil pressure is fine right now 2 bar at idle after 15 minutes of driving is normal I think as it was like that since I bought the car.

also considering my engine has about 270,000 kms on it (odo broke a couple months ago).

i'm just wondering about the noise and if rod bearings (crankshaft bearings) start making noise before they go and if it'd sound like what i described.

thanks.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the bearings. You'll gain a bit more pressure.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well don't have time for that right now.

is my oil pressure bad ? I thought 2 bar was fine for idle after warming up. at like 3000 rpm or above it's at like 4.1 4.2 bar never below 4 bar.

seriously I just want this car to last another year before it blows up. just wondering if the bearings are shot and going to blow up soon.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Your fine dont worry
Old 05-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
You're fine dont worry
Agreed. I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol thanks. This thread is kind of useless without an actually sound clip.

I just ran it outside again and the sound is louder on the passenger side from under the car and I now think it's the exhaust and headers and clicking injectors.

when I rev it the injector ticking on top of the engine gets faster but quieter i'm wondering if I may have lifter noise also but i know those injectors are noisy.

yeah I think i'm fine... I checked my oil dipstick also and I don't see metal shavings or anything in the oil. oil looks clean. also when I drained the oil after the no oil pressure issue I didn't see metal shavings.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

on another topic my odo is broken and i had my new belts initially tensioned in january and haven't gone back yet to retension. my gates manual for the belt says check at 3200 and 4000 kms.

i'm estimating I have gone about 2500 kms not really sure since then. wondering if I should go and get the belts retensioned now or wait another month or two.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your exhaust manifold gaskets. a leaky gasket sounds like a ticking

Quick Reply: Am I hearing rod bearing noise or am i paranoid?