Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid fill hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 AM
fleshbone
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid fill hole

Hello do you know where is the transmission fluid fill hole for a 1987 Porsche 924?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fleshbone
Hello do you know where is the transmission fluid fill hole for a 1987 Porsche 924?
Manual transaxle, I assume? It's on the driver's side. You can see it though the rear wheel well, in front of the wheel. It's a large hex. If you're going to drain it, make sure you can get the fill out before you pull the drain (they are both on the side, the drain is just lower, obviously).
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or just loosen but not remove both first.

my drain is stuck, my fill is fine. hehe
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
or just loosen but not remove both first.

my drain is stuck, my fill is fine. hehe
The key is, don't drain the fluid out the bottom hole until you know that you can open up the top hole. The plugs can freeze in there, and unless you can flip your whole car over, you'll never fill the transaxle from the bottom hole!
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
you'll never fill the transaxle from the bottom hole!
You can, but its not pretty. BTDT.

You need to get a piece of hose that pretty well seals the bottom hole, and long enough to get above the fill line. Fill it up like that, with gravity doing the work. You use the hose as a site glass to tell where it should be filled to. Then you overfill it. None of this is easy with thick gear oil.

Then the real ****ty part, you have to get the drain plug back in without lising too much. Kiss whatever shirt you're wearing goodbye.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarylJ

You need to get a piece of hose that pretty well seals the bottom hole, and long enough to get above the fill line. Fill it up like that, with gravity doing the work. You use the hose as a site glass to tell where it should be filled to. Then you overfill it. None of this is easy with thick gear oil.

Then the real ****ty part, you have to get the drain plug back in without lising too much. Kiss whatever shirt you're wearing goodbye.
AND half a bottle of shampoo to get the smell out of your hair.... GOD I hate the smell of gear lube...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
AND half a bottle of shampoo to get the smell out of your hair.... GOD I hate the smell of gear lube...
Yuck, I concur, nasty smelling shyte.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by DarylJ

If you've ever filled the lower unit of a boat engine (outdrive or outboard) that's the way it's done. Messy as hell. YOu get this stuff on your hands and it itches for hours.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 PM
robert944h
Racer

It's a 17mm allen taper fit plug. A lot of people make the mistake of gorilla arming the taper fit plug when they install it, causing it to get stuck. It just needs a gentle pull, not sure on exact torque though.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A narrow $1 funnel works also. Just enough space to get the bottle up in there also. Go slow so you dont overflow the funnel.. the trans fluid is pretty thick stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If your fill plug gets stuck just remove the reverse light switch on the top and fill from there. The tranny takes 2.75 quarts.

But yes, always start by seeing if the fill plug can open. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This time I came up with a brilliant solution, after trying some random dumb ideas before. I went and bought a $2 set of plastic picnic ketchup, mustard, and mayo bottles from the store. After deciding which one was most appropriate for gear lube (mayo), I pulled off the screw top and used a pvc hose that with a touch of heat slid right on and sealed. Cut the hose to about 18" maybe.

Put new fluid in warm water to thin, fill the squeeze bottle, insert the hose, and squeeze it in. Much faster than waiting for gravity!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Yuck, I concur, nasty smelling shyte.
Last time I filled a tranny, I had to stick the fill plug back in quickly, so I stuck the squeeze bottle between the tranny and the tunnel. I forgot it was there and backed the car up. Ran over the squeeze bottle, shot 85w140 EVERYWHERE...

Quick Reply: transmission fluid fill hole