Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think of selling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Think of selling...

I am overrun with cars, and probably need to get realistic about things. I have a HUGE emotional attachment to '84 944, as it was my first Porsche, but its probably time to let it go.

I've had the car forever it seems. I went through it, learned how to get a 944 fully and properly sorted out, and then drove it a BUNCH. I eventually retired it from regular duty, taught my daughter how to drive in it, and then did a more or less complete mechanical restoration on it (fresh engine/tranny/brakes/suspension, etc) and gave it to her for her 16th birthday. Unfortunately, she didn't take to the responsibility of car ownership all that well (and I blame my ex wife for undermining me on this) and ultimately, I wound up getting the car back from her. Its a little worse for wear, as she had a few scrapes with it, so the outside is not nearly as presentable as it once was, but it wouldn't take *that* much to get it back.

The basics on the car:

White '84 944, with approx 300k on the chassis.

Mechanical:
Newer engine, belts have approx 4k miles and two years on them
Newer tranny and clutch (approx 4k miles)
Fresh brakes
Fresh Bilstein suspension
951 Sway bars
DME has one of the first FR Wilk dual chips in it
Runs VERY well, I just drove it from KC to Boston and back two weeks ago

Interior:
Brown interior, not in great shape at all. Dash is crasked, the leather sport seats need to be recovered, carpet is ok but faded in back. A/C blows cold tho and it has an Awai CD player with a front aux jack you can plug your iPod into.

Exterior:
White paint, with a red rear 951 valance on the back.
16" Fuchs with good rubber
Lots of rock chips in front
rear passenger quarter panel got rubbed against an SUV and needs to be massaged. Its not something you'd notice from 15' away and in no way effects the driveability of the car, but its there.
Rear bumper on drivers side got backed into and pushed in. I pulled it back out but the transition molded piece between the bumper and the body shows wear.
A couple of other very minor dents/dings, all easily removed by a PDR shop.

I realize that I could improve it cosmetically with a small amount of my effort, but at this point, I am sort of emotionally cashed out on it. If I start doing stuff to the car, then next thing you'll know, I will have a 968 hatch and mirrors on it, install the euro bumper I picked up on it, get it repainted and then I will never get rid of it. So...

What do y'all think its worth? $3 to 4k? Or am I dreaming?

Regards,
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Scott, you will never be able to substitute your first Porsche. I think you will sell it just to want to get it back years later. Even if you were able to sell it for $3 to 4k, its relatively a small amount of money to end up regretting later.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at the list of similar cars you own I would sell it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Scott, you will never be able to substitute your first Porsche. I think you will sell it just to want to get it back years later. Even if you were able to sell it for $3 to 4k, its relatively a small amount of money to end up regretting later.
I agree. I miss my first Jeep Wrangler that I modified a lot and want another
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a tough one as I just had to go through this a couple of weeks ago. I ended up selling my car mainly because I didn't have the garage space for it and my new car served the same purpose.

If my newer car were a coupe and I had the space for the old S2 Cabrio - I would have kept it because I know what you get for selling it is never as much as what you put into it.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

Originally Posted by fpena944
This is a tough one as I just had to go through this a couple of weeks ago. I ended up selling my car mainly because I didn't have the garage space for it and my new car served the same purpose.

If my newer car were a coupe and I had the space for the old S2 Cabrio - I would have kept it because I know what you get for selling it is never as much as what you put into it.
I was driving to the store and saw a White 944 Cabrio. I am not an expert in making an ID while they are driving the other direction but it looked GREAT! I would have a hard time selling one of those.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry Scott, but I'm going to hold you to your word. You've said for years that the 84 would be the last Porsche you would sell, so now's the time to hang on to it and let another car go instead!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

We all miss our first cars, and we all wish we had them back. And if we could all get them back, we would enjoy them for a week and realize why we wanted to sell them. Then we'd sell them, and soon start wishing we had them back.

Let it go. Your memories will remain. And memories are free.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

the first car i owned was a 68 firebird convertible. bought it in 76. sold it 29 years later, and two weeks after that i thought i missed the car.

so i bought a used miata. traded in the garage queen for a go cart. havent looked back.

life is too short to be married forever to the first girl you kissed.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This would make a perfect SPEC car if someone is looking for a good solid base car............Scott has always gone the extra mile to make sure his cars are up to date in regards to maintenance
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me the "first car" thing is not about having the actual first car itself. Maybe having one like it. Same modle etc. Looking at the OPs signature. He has 3 others that are all essentially the "same" type of car.

I see no reason to keep it. None. Zero.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

The OP asked 2 questions. The 2nd (how much is it worth) is easy. Cosmetically challenged with a 2 tone rear end, and added value that's not readily apparent to most buyers means that $3-4k is probably too high.

The 1st Q (should I sell), is an unqualified yes. You've got almost every notable example of 944 in your stable (83n/a, 951, and 968) that this one is redundant. If you didn't have the 83 I'd say keep the 84. Or get rid of the track car and keep/upgrade the 84 streeter (but you probably don't want to do that). It sounds like your emotional attachment to the 84 has diminished too, as you've let your daughter have it (which means you didn't mind that it'd probably get a bit abused).

So say bye bye to the 84, but for less than what you want. Case closed, court is adjourned.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

a very wise man (crazy chuck who painted my firebird back in 76 - without a mask or paint room) once gave me some sage advice that i previously posted here. I will share it again for the yungins.

DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH IT UNLESS YOU CAN TAKE IT TO BED.

well that about shuts the barn door to any appeals of gloria's decision before the horses got out.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Luis, I knew I could count on you...

As of now, I am prepping the car for yet another road trip to Portsmouth NH and Boston, heading out on Saturday (instead of doing the Audi Club DE with my friends, arrgghhhh!). If anyone sees a white 944 with a red 951 rear valance, thats me! Hopefully you don't find me on the side of the road! lol

If anyone would be seriously interested in the car, let me know, but I won't be holding my breath. I've got a 968 hatch frame prepped for putting a new glass in, so it will probably have a 968 hatch on it very soon, along with that euro bumper. Then I'll drive it a bunch more...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Crackhead944S
Pro

OK, so I have been 'away' for a while. What's going on in Portsmouth?

Quick Reply: Think of selling...