Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no title at dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default no title at dealership?

Looking at a 951 up in New Hampshire and I call the dealership... Makes it really appealing because they are only asking 5grand for the thing... Looks to be in great shape, has clean carfax and they even emailed me a copy of all of the docs dating back to the early 90's.

The problem is they have no title. They are telling me its due to the age of the car... BS I have owned several old cars with the title in hand. Is there a way to get this car titled in NH and then transferred to FL, or does this seem really fishy.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
Looking at a 951 up in New Hampshire and I call the dealership... Makes it really appealing because they are only asking 5grand for the thing... Looks to be in great shape, has clean carfax and they even emailed me a copy of all of the docs dating back to the early 90's.

The problem is they have no title. They are telling me its due to the age of the car... BS I have owned several old cars with the title in hand. Is there a way to get this car titled in NH and then transferred to FL, or does this seem really fishy.
From http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...le/faq.html#A2

What vehicles are required to be titled?

* Vehicles 15 years of age or newer.
* Truck-tractors and trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 18,001 pounds or greater, regardless of age.
* Trailers 15 years of age or newer with a GVW of 3,001 pounds or greater.
* Antique vehicles 26 years of age or older, upon request.

between 15 and 26 years no title is issued, this is true in SOME states, Bill of sale is issued, FL should convey to a FL title... Call your local DMV to make sure all that is needed from the NH dealer is a certified bill of sale.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

haha yah know I just googled that myself

Google knows all! Yah just sounds really strange to me, but I will have to see what FL needs.

Thanks man!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mgmarsh39
haha yah know I just googled that myself

Google knows all! Yah just sounds really strange to me, but I will have to see what FL needs.

Thanks man!
Been there, done that, I bought a car from IL, seller didn't sign the back of the IL title (needed a half dozen sigs or so on it... I told teller to "look, superman" and all of the sudden the sellers sig was there, everything OK walked out with new title, tags and registration... stupid southerners...

Good luck, you will either end up with a 5K money pit, or the least expensive 951 on the road... (mine was $3200 before any of the new parts it needed to pass inspection... stupid me, but I am only in it for 7-8K or so at this point 4 months later)
Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to talk to the DMV, or better yet, have the dealship talk to the DMV (better them than you). I have never had a problem like this, but bought a car with a salvage title, another PITA. Tell the dealership that you would rather buy the car if it has a title, even if in NH where they dont need titles for a car that is older than 15Yrs. old. That seems like a deal for 5K with all those records, even if they are old. I dont think that the transfer of states should be that hard.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Been there, done that, I bought a car from IL, seller didn't sign the back of the IL title (needed a half dozen sigs or so on it... I told teller to "look, superman" and all of the sudden the sellers sig was there, everything OK walked out with new title, tags and registration... stupid southerners...

Good luck, you will either end up with a 5K money pit, or the least expensive 951 on the road... (mine was $3200 before any of the new parts it needed to pass inspection... stupid me, but I am only in it for 7-8K or so at this point 4 months later)
hahaha nice. i'll have to pass that story on. superman!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In NH all you need is a bill of sale and an old registration, same with RI.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by banana944
In NH all you need is a bill of sale and an old registration, same with RI.
I still chalk it up to crazy northerners (no title issued for real property?) and stupid southerners (they don't care who signs the title, as long as it looks OK)...

Good luck with the purchase, my guess is you will have a hard time to get a dealer in NH to work with FL DMV, as the NH dealer has a 5K Porsche 951 for sale... just my 2C though.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

thats what I figure... plus the DMV or "tax collector", what the call it here in FL are typically not so friendly, so this is going to be fun!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not that bad in NC, GA doesnt supply titles for older cars either. A guy in my shop just bought an 83 mustang and just had to post a bond for 1.5 times the DMV value of the car, $800 cost him $100. DMV came and inspected the car and issued a title.

Mark

Quick Reply: no title at dealership?