Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Would You Paint Door Handles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 12:01 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question How Would You Paint Door Handles?

I recently had my car re-painted, and I am thinking about taking off the door handles and re-painting them as well. How should I do it? Prime, color, and clear coat? Any special kind of paint? Glossy or flat black?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you consider 968 handles ?? If you take off your current handles might as well change them.I have done recently this swap to several different 944's.It changes the look of 944 completely different, especially if you change mirrors to 968 ones.Handles are quite easy to remove, if you know the right technics.
If you decide to keep the original ones then it's quite normal painting procedure.Don't know the year of your car, but there are several different kind of handles on 944 models.Several has Porsche script on them several don't.Some of them has black plastic parts on the handle etc.Also all of them were not painted black.They used some kind of black coating on them (as my '88 951 had).
If i would paint original handles i would use flat black, sinec the original color was not glossy.

Olli
'88 951
with 968 handles & mirrors
Old 07-24-2002, 01:02 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 968 doorhandle/mirror to 944 swap difficult to do? Where and how much are the parts? One day job or what?

Paul
Old 07-24-2002, 01:17 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original handles had some sort of anodizing on them, not paint. I don't think paint would last very long as they take quite the beating getting grabbed all the time. Especially if owners wear rings.

Talk to a local metal plating shop but I would bet it is going to be pretty expensive for such a small job.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by paul944fanatic:
<strong>Is the 968 doorhandle/mirror to 944 swap difficult to do? Where and how much are the parts? One day job or what?

Paul</strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't done the mirrors yet, but I just finished the door handle conversion. The time it takes gets faster the more you do it. The first side took around 6 hours - had to learn how to do it first! The second side took about an hour and a half. I now beleive I could do one side in about 45 minutes - give or take 10 depending on how cooperative the car was!

I have a procedure with photos that I'm working on. Should be ready by this week end.

As for the expense, I bought used handles from a donor 968. They were quite expensive - $350 for the set. Repaint for handles and mirrors ran $125. Your price may vary. Some of the Rennlist guys have been working on parts lists for a conversion using the existing door pulls and locks. Check the archives for part numbers.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:30 PM
kellyk
Instructor

My doorhandles had been repainted by the PO. When I took them off, I didn't realize that they were anodized underneath. I started cleaning them with acetone and a Scothbrite pad and was soon through both the paint and the anodized finish. SO... I just kept rubbing. I ended up with a really nice looking brushed stainless steel finish with the factory PORSCHE lettering remaining black. I just clearcoated them with spray laquer and they look awesome. I like the look so much I am going to do the other handle as well. I think this would look great on a black car, especially if one have some aluminum interior trim pieces or sills.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:04 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

With help of my 14 year old son we can do handle swap in 40 minutes ! (both doors) Of course we have practised a little bit, seven cars totally.The first one took one evening labor.I bought 968 mirrors & handles last summer from factory customer center in Zuffenhausen.Total cost was 510€ (almost same with US $).I was stupid and bought every possible part needed.You can save some $$$ buing 968 CS mirrors (manual) and use 944 mirrors electrics.Also you can use 944 handles driggers as i have done in most of these conversion i have done.If you use 944 driggers it demands some modifications to 968 handles.You can use your 944 lock cylinders; it's the direct fit to 968 handles.
When removing handles remove that antitheft shield.Also remove that locking unit which helps you to move lock assembly upwards.When you move lock assembly upwards you can easily attach all necessary rods.

Olli
'88 951
Old 07-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

One more thing to mention.I have seen some web sites which cover 968 handle swap.They say that you have to remove door window & window mechanics.
Also factory 944 shop manual say this same thing !
That's not tru ! You don't have to remove these items !

Olli
'88 951

Quick Reply: How Would You Paint Door Handles?