Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell Phones.. Possesed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003 | 08:01 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Post Cell Phones.. Possesed?

I have a 3 year old nokia 5150 that seems to be possesed. The battery charges fine, but shuts off when I hit send.. any ideas!
Old 02-07-2003 | 08:03 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

better to chuck it and buy a new one? after all they are practically disposable now=a=days..
Old 02-07-2003 | 08:33 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

My Motorola dailed 911 all by itself while I was having a shower.

Imagine my surprise when a 911 operator called me back when I was towelling off...
Old 02-07-2003 | 08:59 PM
Dave
Race Car

Yeah, there all basically crap. I build their networks and if you think the phones are screwed up you should see the infrastructure and the people pbehind them. There's a reason the whole industry is in the crapper.

At the first sign of trouble, toss it and get a new phone. Never renew without getting the new phone (to take advantage of the discount). Stick with 1 year plans so this can happen more often. Don't bother getting anything better than a basic model phone, next years bottom of the line will be better than this years best. Whatch for service prices to skyrocket OR watcth for the carriers to merge and disapear (seen what paging companies have done in the last 5 years?). And most important, stay away from Nokia, that's the bottom of the barrel.
Old 02-07-2003 | 09:10 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

remember SkyTel? had a 250$ pager thats worthless. just a q - i want to be in contact but my cell is funky lately...
Old 02-07-2003 | 09:30 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

The display on my cell phone is upside down and backwards! I hate them! This is my third in about a year and a half.
Old 02-07-2003 | 09:36 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Nokia did that to me a lot...I had a 3360. The screen would scramble garbage, turn all black, upside down....and it used to freeze and turn off when i hit the 3 key...ATT of course replaced the phone twice on warranty.
I recently signed to sprint, 30 a month for 300 anytime unlimited night/weekends and free sprint-to-sprint calling....should work out pretty sweet, especially with the 50 dollar color phone they gave me (100 dollar discount for new signee).
Old 02-07-2003 | 09:47 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

it sux. i hit the send button and no power, didnt lose time though. I guess it has to stay on constant power
Old 02-08-2003 | 08:36 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Dave, where do you work? I have bounced around the telcom for the last few years and have found no better folks to work with.....especially the service providers.
Old 02-08-2003 | 10:44 AM
Dave
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by OC Porsche:
<strong>Dave, where do you work? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Literally? A little tower company you probably never heard of.
Geographically? Mostly NYC market but I've worked MD to MA.
Part of the industry? Wireless construction for paging, cell, satellite radio, wireless internet, gov. agencies, TV, FM, DTV, you name it.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by OC Porsche:
<strong>I have bounced around the telcom for the last few years and have found no better folks to work with.....especially the service providers.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Maybe I shouldn't generalize so much! There are alot of good people out there but in it's infancy this industry attracted some real nut cases (myself included) and I guess the RF hasn't helped. Some of these people are now at the top of the decision making chain. I'm sure you've heard some great stories of bad engineering, if you haven't I can give you some. On the business end, all the cell carriers are trying to undercut each other to the point of loosing money on a good size percentage of their subscribers, Things are gonna have to change one way or another.
Old 02-08-2003 | 01:28 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">And most important, stay away from Nokia, that's the bottom of the barrel. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">You must be a real pro...
Wonder why Nokia is number one in the world???
You get all old Nokia models when we europeans have used them several years.5150 is real antique.
Old 02-08-2003 | 02:00 PM
Dave
Race Car

Same reason toyota outsells Porsche, they're cheap and readily available.
Old 02-08-2003 | 02:18 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Same reason toyota outsells Porsche, they're cheap and readily available </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Since it's only a cell phone, what's wrong with that??

I suppose you can tell what is "Porsche of the cell phones" ???

For me Nokia's good old "teenage model" 3210 is the best one.Had used it over five years without problems, but my Nokia is made in Finland...

I just need a phone which is cabable to make a call/receive and the same thing with SMS messages.
No need for camera phones etc, what Nokia has launced.
My son prefer his Nokia model which has a built in MP3 player.
Old 02-08-2003 | 04:02 PM
Dave
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Olli Snellman:
<strong>[QUOTE]Since it's only a cell phone, what's wrong with that??
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Olli, It's just my opinion, I don't recall saying you had to agree. It's based on hands on experience with phones from most manufacturers, and also experience with the equipment they make for the other end of the system. You don't work for Nokia do you?
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Olli Snellman:
<strong> You get all old Nokia models when we europeans have used them several years.5150 is real antique.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">BTW, you can give up on the "superior cell phones in Europe" attitude, that POS has been here for 3-4 years. In fact, it the last 2 years our systems have pretty much caught up to yours in technology, it's the users that haven't embraced that technology that is different.
I'll agree with you on the cameras though I have no idea what they're good for.

Quick Reply: Cell Phones.. Possesed?