Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

morning start 2 seconds before oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default morning start 2 seconds before oil pressure

I had a zero oil pressure problem in february, found out the clyinder that the oil pressure relief valve piston rides in had come loose from the block. So I took the oil cooler out and reglued (loctite 574 I think) a new clydinder into the block and this fixed my zero oil pressure problem I got one day.

anywyas since then oil pressure has been normal. however I have notice recently in the morning when I go to start the car (its not cold out) when I crank it takes like 2-3 seconds before the oil pressure jumps to 5 bar. in those 2-3 seconds you can hear the lifters and engine not being happy then it's fine for the rest of the day.

also it's not everytime I go to start the car, only when it's sitting for like 10-12 hours or whatever. It's like a dry start when you replace your oil filter and it has to get filled with oil again.

i'm using a kN oil filter which has an anti-drain valve on it but I thought maybe it went bad? so today I got a mahle filter and will try to install that tomorrow.

i'm hoping my oprv piston didn't come loose again. however I doubt this.

would an oprv cause the car to take 2-3 seconds to build pressure and why would this occur after a long sit in the morning when I go to start the car.

like after work when the car was sitting for 6 hours it was fine, instant oil pressure when I crank.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its most likely just the hydraulic lifters drain when the car has been sitting a while.
This is perfectly normal, dont worry about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

no, the gauge shows zero oil pressure for like 2-3 seconds then jumps to 5 bar.

I don't remember it being like this before. and i'm not sure how much damage would be caused by a 2-3 second dry start every morning when I go to start it up.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 900 RPM (idle), your car turns over 15 times per second. So you are talking about 30-45 revolutions. Nothing is going to be completely "dry" anyway. Relax. The dope is making you paranoid.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:25 AM
brighton911
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem in another car, turned out the anti-drain valve in the filter was not working, filter change and back to normal.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by brighton911
I had the same problem in another car, turned out the anti-drain valve in the filter was not working, filter change and back to normal.
When I had the same problem this was my solution as well.

BB.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

cut the kid a break, he is a student ya know.

why a student is spending so much money on the K&N advertising campaign when he could have put a mahle filter in for less money is a question greater minds than I can answer.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
cut the kid a break, he is a student ya know.

why a student is spending so much money on the K&N advertising campaign when he could have put a mahle filter in for less money is a question greater minds than I can answer.
Ha i was waiting for someone to bring that up.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
It's the blue Gates "racing" cam belts sold by Rennbay that gets me.

I think P.T.Barnum had the answer... certainly not suggesting he is a "greater mind" than you, however.

Alternatively, we might simply conclude that "advertising works".

There is also the myth that "you get what you pay for" -- as if paying a bit more (or even a lot more) for something somehow ensures you are getting something extra for your money. Of course, in many cases, this is just not so -- and sometimes even the reverse is true. Whenever I hear that old saw, I usually reply "if only life were that simple..."

But to return to the topic, yeah, it certainly sounds like a drainback filter problem more than anything to do with the OPRV.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 05-10-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

lol at all the funny comments.

I am a bit paranoid I admit, I was going to put the car on stands and take out the oprv because I was scared that the new clinder I glued into the block has come loose again but not likely i'm crossing my fingers as I would have to kill myself if I have to do the oil cooler removal again.

today morning the oil pressure jumped to five bar like 1-2 seconds after the car started.

so KN filters are crap you guys think? I get it for about 12 bucks and I only change oil like 3 times a year so I wanted to put the best filter on the car.

I got a mahle 142 for I think about the same price maybe little cheaper from my porsche parts dealer. I know online you can get them for about 6 bucks U.S.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

cool thanks. I was thinking maybe filter is leaking all the oil out over night. the oprv wouldn't have anything to do with preventing oil from draining back into the pan right?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
joemis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on one of my BMW's more than once. Turned out to be the oil filter both times..

Joe M.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
It's the blue Gates "racing" cam belts sold by Rennbay that gets me.....
I have never seen someone with so much pent up aggression towards an unanimated object.... well maybe the first time I was pulling the Turbo and trying to get at those down pipe bolts, but that was justified.
I love the "I wish there were less replacement parts options out there for our out of production, all but forgotten cars" attitude.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

last week i was in the auto parts store

i was window shopping in the oil aisle when i decided to make an impulse purchase

i decided to change the oil in my 951. at first i was going to buy a case of mobil 1 15w30. but then the valvoline or is it castrol synthetic caught my eye. there it was in the pretty white box with blue and red on it. it was on sale too. buy four got one free, or buy five get one free or something like that.

knowing ive always had good luck with free beer, free hot dogs and free women i decided to take the chance. i bought the case of 20w50 fully synthetic oil.

not only did it sell for $0.50 a quart less than the mobil 1, but i got a quart free. i think i saved about $10 over the mobil 1.

do you think i will blow my motor if i put that stuff in?

do you think the 20 weight will cause permanent damage if i start the car when it is below 50 deg?

i am a parent you know and i work full time. i cant afford to pull the motor and pay someone to rebuild it. and if i rebuild it myself i will probably do it wrong and miss watching my child grow up. should i give the oil unused to goodwill for them to use in their trucks and buy a case of mobil 1? oh this is a dilemma seeing what a K&N filter could do to a porsche.

Quick Reply: morning start 2 seconds before oil pressure