Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gutting the 944: floors almost done

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

ok now I need some help

I am at the point where the middle of the floors is clean of this epoxy stuff, but if you look at this picture:

you can see the edges of the floor that have some of the epoxy stuff thats even already painted - am I supposed to take this stuff off also? or leave this alone? I was under impression that this stuff needs to be left alone and only centers of the floor needs to be cleaned out

nobody else in their builds mentions this, so I just want to clear this up now - otherwise my floors are pretty much ready for paint - just need a good cleaning form all the dust and left over dirt, and need to clean off with Kerosine/Xylene the floor under the dash by the pedals

thanks for the help! I'll get some pics once I'm finished and get answers to these questions above!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a screw driver to scrape away nearly all of that epoxy. That was the only way I found that worked.

If you do it, be careful not to completely remove it around the circular plugs in the floor. If you do, the metal plug will fall out, or in my brothers case, fly off at the track while on the circuit.

It wasn't really worth it, but you can see most of it gone in this picture. The passenger side footwell still has some in the picture, but I removed ALL of it eventually.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM
roman944
Drifting

so this stuff is not covering anything up? my dad said that it might be covering up where the floor meeds the body of the car, but in your pics - looks like its "just there"

a little more work left then
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know why there is that little circular cap in the middle of the floor? Squirrel emergency escape hatch?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Anyone know why there is that little circular cap in the middle of the floor? Squirrel emergency escape hatch?
lol not a clue dude, I dont even know why there are those other 2 big ones either

so all this epoxy stuff needs to come off then? from the sides, from where the center console is (right where back seat was) - form everywhere? completely stripped?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Probably something to do with the assembly of the chassis. "Squirrel cover" has a different meaning to me

That epoxy does cover the seems, but it's not structural in any way. The chassis is damn near rust proof, so I removed it all. I wanted it down to the metal so it looked clean when I painted it. I'll have pictures of my painted chassis/roll cage/car soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by genikz
Probably something to do with the assembly of the chassis. "Squirrel cover" has a different meaning to me

That epoxy does cover the seems, but it's not structural in any way. The chassis is damn near rust proof, so I removed it all. I wanted it down to the metal so it looked clean when I painted it. I'll have pictures of my painted chassis/roll cage/car soon.
well I started it with a drill and a brush, its coming off and then I saw the seems and said "what the hell"

so now I'm wondering if I should take it off everywhere, or just do the back seat portion and leave the rest alone? covered with paint, no one is going to look for this stuff; is it fire hazardous like the glue and tar stuff?

I saw some of your shots, I'm not going to touch the area in the hatch or the fenderwells - yet, maybe later on
Old 05-15-2009, 06:22 PM
roman944
Drifting

more progress on the floors, let me know what you think:

I am thinking of leaving the edges like that, the middle of the floors is now nice and clean; there is some rust in some pics - its fresh, I'll get some of that POR-15 stuff or something similar and go over the metal with that
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

That looks great. I would leave it at that if I were you. The rest isn't really worth it.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by genikz
That looks great. I would leave it at that if I were you. The rest isn't really worth it.
yeah, I'm looking at that "lip" and the sides that have the epoxy stuff on them, and I think I'll just lightly go over t hem with the brush to roughen up a little (without tearing into it) and leave it at that

I also don't think I'll be touching those lines that go along the wall by the door (like the part by the e-brake and the same spot on the other side)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Re: the holes... As part of the paint process, the bodies are dipped into large vats of cleaning solutions - there needs to be a way for the liquid to run out and not pool up.

Quick Reply: gutting the 944: floors almost done