Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittant Car Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Mark Wo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Intermittant Car Starting

Drove my 87 to my sons baseball practice yesterday. Car ran great as it has been for quite some time. After practice, hopped in the car and it wouldn't start. Heard a loud click then nothing. Heard the fuel pump power up but no cranking. Tried a few more times with the same response. Pointed car downhilll, popped the clutch and drove it home.

Got home, turned key, same loud click. Turned key to off, then to start and car fired right up. Fired up a couple more times and then wouldn't start. Same thing occrred over next couple of days.

I have banged on the relays as in the past (a few years ago) this made a difference on a buddies truck. Seems to have increased the start/no start ratio but this could be in my head.

Any suggestions?

Mark W
Old 06-16-2002, 02:24 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

try the dme relay? a 16 buck shot in the dark... normally the fp doesnt fire up until you start cranking.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:28 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

My guess would be starter battery or elctrical connections. First you should look at the connections on your battery and if there is any corrosion there clean the battery terminals up also check your connections at the starter. Next I would guess a weak battery I even had a battery checked on one of those machines that I still had intermittent problems with starting until I repplaced it. How old is your battery? If you have a multimeter check what voltag you have at the battery and see if the voltage drops down when you try to start the car and it just clicks.

Quick Reply: Intermittant Car Starting