Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack reinstall help...(Update)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
ejsaenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Rack reinstall help...(Update)

I've ordered a rebuilt rack from autozone and it will arrive tomorrow, the issue I'm having is that I forgot to center the steering wheel before I removed the rack. I read that there may be a "clock spring" in my steering wheel that I have to worry about regarding the airbag or something.

can i just set the wheel to be straight then install the rack with the indicator on center mark?
Will it damage anything if I do this?

how do I find out where the steering wheel is at center according to the clock spring, if there is such a thing?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited by ejsaenz; 04-30-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 AM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about the clock spring (I have a non-airbag car), but...

I'd center the rack and put in a bolt that locks the rack in place before you put it on. Then attach the u-joint to the rack. With the rack still locked, take off steering wheel off and just center it. You can make the locking bolt by taking a short bolt (cant remember exactly what width and pitch is) and grinding it at an angle so that it is conical at the end. It'll bolt into a dimple in the center of the rack, which locks it in place. Hope that helps
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You can damage the clock spring if you don't center it properly. If you've been free-spinning your steering wheel, you may have already damaged it. I'd recommend removing your steering wheel to realign the clock spring so you don't overpower it with the weight of the steering wheel, but I suppose you could do it with it still on since your rack isn't currently installed. The center position of the clock spring is approximately 4.5 turns from the left or right end stop. There are two arrows on the unit that line up to indicate precise center (but if your steering wheel is installed, that won't move). If your wheel is already off, you'll see the arrows on the clock spring.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Anyone have pictures of this clock spring? I tried a google search but came up empty.

I really don't want to screw this up more than I did. That's what working 7 days week and 5 hrs sleep for a month does to me. I should have waited until I was rested.

I haven't been free spinning the wheel so I should be ok?? I feel like a fool for not being more careful.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about. You have nothing to worry about - just get the wheel close to center, and then center the rack using the plugged hole, and install it. The u-joint on the end of the steering shaft will only slip onto the rack one way.

If for some reason your wheel ends up being crooked anyway (it really should not, but if it does), then you still have nothing to worry about. The clock spring thingy is just enclosed in a plastic thing and you can just remove the steering wheel, remove the plastic box thing, realign it a tiny bit (in the correct direction to center your wheel), and then put the wheel back on. You'll know exactly what I mean when you take off your wheel. This is assuming your S2 is like my 968.

But you really should be OK by just installing the rack with it centered, because the U-joint and the bolt can only go onto the rack one way.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
951mcomm
Instructor

been there: The clock spring has a hole in it for a pin off the the clumn that can be adjusted but not much. Put the steering rack in, in the proper location , bushings will dictate where they go. To truly center the wheel you will need to get an alignement. The difference being that the tie rods may not be in the exact location for the new installation compared to the old rack location. Set the u joint and wheel as close to straight as possible and the alignment will finnish you up. While your in there replace the rack bushings worth the 20 clams and will keep that rack nice and snug for years to come.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 AM
ejsaenz
Pro

Have I mentioned that Rennlist members are awesome?

I took off the steering wheel and looked for the clock spring. I found it. The arrows were on the bottom window of the device, very hard to see in a kinda dark garage with mosquitoes flying around my head. I removed the cover then the clock spring device and spun it aruound until it hit the left stop. 4 1/2 turns back to center. To make sure I turned it the same way to the right and back. It was still in good condition!!! I centered it and reinstalled the two screws, 4 screws and the cover was back on. Temporarily reinstalled the steering wheel and just need to install the rack.

I did have to put a zip tie to hold up the steering shaft in the engine compartment so it wouldn't bind up. Worked great!

BTW. The bolt for the steering rack centering divot is a 10 x 1mm metric bolt. It's a very fine thread, ground down the tip and the rack is now centered also, just waiting on parts from Rennbay and I should be good to go.

Once again, you guys are awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Steering Rack reinstall help...(Update)