Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder for Brakes and Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 02:56 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Master Cylinder for Brakes and Clutch?

How many "Master" cylinders are on our cars? Is there one for the Brakes and Clutch? There's only one "Slave" cylinder, right?

If you're doing a clutch R&R, which cylinders should you change with it?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM
nwehtje944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a master cylinder and a secondary or slave cylinder. the master cylinder is for the brakes and the slave cylinder is for the clutch. The master cylinder and the slave cylinder use the same fluid reservoir, which is atop of the master cylinder.

The master cylinder is really two separate master cylinders put together, that share the same fluid reservoir. One cylinder for the front brakes and one for the rear brakes. So really there are two master cylinders, it just they are built as one unit. If you look at a old car, ie Jag E type, you will see three separate fluid reservoirs.

If your slave cylinder needs replacement, I would go ahead and replace the master cylinder. The slave cylinder is about $50 and the master cylinder is about $100. I would just replace both, bcs they often fail at about the same time. But more importantly I don’t take chances with my brakes. It shouldn’t be that hard of a job, just make sure you bleed the brakes afterwards.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:52 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fluid reservoir sits on top of the brake master cylinder, the clutch master cylinder is on the firewall connected to the reservoir with a blue cloth covered hose, connects to the clutch pedal inside, the clutch slave cylinder is on the bellhousing above the starter.

When doing the clutch r&r replace both clutch master and clutch slave, also check the hose that runs to the slave cylinder.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simpson,

What Dave said. If you are looking at a clutch job there is a seperate master on the firewall, just follow the blue braided line.

"Slave" is just the term used for the working end of the hydraulics. There is a seperate unit for the clutch located above the starter. The brake's entire capiler is the "slave". So 4 of them if you just consider bolted together chunks of metal. But you probably have a 4 piston capiler, so I guess you have 16 slaves for the brakes.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:45 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

Iceshark: I'm trying to budget your wiring kits into this upcoming clutch, seals, rod bearings R&R. We'll see how it works out

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder for Brakes and Clutch?