Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Parts for Sale at Hershey... CHEAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:01 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

hope you did not forget about me
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:44 PM
funkysi
Instructor

Default Anyone passing through Arlington VA......

And would like to give me a ride to Hershey it would be much appreciated. Share gas money of course. PM me.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009 | 09:32 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Bill,

Great meeting you today. Appreciate the parts.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-25-2009 | 11:07 PM
kingston944
Racer

Hi do you have a fuse box ??? And price if you do. Thanks
Old 04-26-2009 | 01:21 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Awesome deals--thanks Bill!
Old 04-26-2009 | 09:36 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Gee, Bill.... why didn't you delete this thread too?.....

And from an earlier post in this thread:
"Yup... for the set. The Head is all yours, as are the motor mounts. You want it - you know where to find me. Buy this stuff and sell it for a profit. All proceeds go towards funding my DE project. See you at Hershey!!! "

Holding parts, too?? .........nice....real nice.....

Last edited by aj986s; 04-26-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2009 | 10:28 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Angry Hershey, 944 Parts and Iccy928

Normally I'm not a vindictive person, but I had an unfortunate experience this past weekend. I wanted to share this, in order to give fair warning that dealings with Iccy928 (aka Bill T.) need to be approached with caution. I'm going to try and stick with the facts, and described what transpired. I, obviously, have my own opinions and disappointment about what happened, but I'll let you you draw your own conclusions.

You may recall over the past couple of weeks some posts by Iccy928, about selling a bunch of 944 parts. The first post I recall seeing was on another online board, in a thread entitled "Hershey Swap Thread". On 4/7, he posted:

I noticed it, but had not idea what he might have for sale.

Later, on 4/22, at 9:42, he posted a new For Sale thread and started with:

I saw it for the first time the following morning, and at 6:09AM I sent him a PM telling him I was very interested in the LSD tranny and the Fuch wheels for my race car. Below is a long transcript (chronologically reads from the bottom up) of the PM exchanges that followed (names & phones have been edited) :

Originally Posted by Iccy928
No problem taking the parts home with me, pick them up whenever, but I definately prefer cash. My cell is XXXXX. I'll be located in spots B85-87 and I'll have a big banner up per my original post. Tell Jim to get there early and make these parts yours. Thanks again, Bill

Originally Posted by AJ986S
Great! I've spoken with a friend of mine, Jim Xxxx, and he says he plans to be there early, since he needs to leave by 10AM. He's going to call me once he takes a look at the parts. If all checks out, as I expect it will, he'll pay you on the spot. However, he doesn't a way to haul anything back. If we close the sale through Jim, would you be able to bring the parts back home with you, and let me pick them up Sunday or later? Sykesville isn't too far from Damascus.

Also, with respect to payment, since I need to work this out with Jim as well, would you be willing to accept a check? If not, I'll ask Jim to bring cash with him.

I do appreciate your working with me, too. Please let me know the details of where your spots will be located. Additionally, can you provide me your cellphone number so Jim can call you once he gets to Hershey.

Tony P.

That works, will try to hold the parts as long as possible. If your guys like the parts they're all yours. Hope everything works out and you can use them. Thanks for working with me. Bill

OK. I'm not certain why your so concerned about taking my money. I've bought plenty of stuff sight unseen, and am willing to take them as is, even in this case, because you haven't told me there's anything wrong with them.

But what I'll do is work with a friend or two that's going to Hershey, and have them take a look at the parts for me, to insure there's nothing wrong them. If everything looks fine, they can pay you on the spot. I'm planning to speak with one or 2 people that will be going up there early. Can you at least hold them for me until they can see them, which should be by 8 or 8:30?

Tony P.

Not trying to make it difficult. It's just that I'd rather sell them at Hershey if possible. If you pay in advance and then for some reason aren't happy with the condition of anything I'd obviously refund you money but would have missed the chance to unload them at Hershey. That said, if they don't sell at Hershey you could see them, and take them if they meet your needs. Hope it works out, best of luck.

Bill

I'm sorry Bill, but I don't understand. I'm prepared to pay you for the parts. I don't understand what you mean that they are mine if they don't sell in Hershey. I've told you that I'm unable to go to Hershey; I have to be in a wedding in NC this weekend, and my wife and I are driving down tomorrow morning. I'm prepared to pay you for them right now via PayPal. I only ask that you bring them back from Hershey; I will make arrangements to come to your house, or any place else convenient to you, to pick them up.

If we don't have a deal under these conditions, please give me a call (H: XXXXXX, C: XXXXXXX) so we can discuss.

Tony P.

You're right, increasing prices wouldn't be right - and I don't want to bait and switch any Dorki members. So all prices stay as advertised. As mentioned before, the parts are yours if they don't sell in Hershey.

Take care, Bill

Bill,

As you've probably figured out, I'm very interested in the trans and wheels, as spares for my race car. But I am in no rush to get the parts. Since you've already packed them into the trailer, I'm not asking you take them out. You could simply leave them IN the trailer, not sell them, and bring them back with you; that would be fine with me.

Its unfortunate that you didn't advertise these before loading them onto your trailer. But since you posted them on the board, including prices, I thought it would be appropriate for me to make you an offer. However, the fact that you're now reconsidering your pricing is a bit disconcerting. Unfortunately, I have to be out of town this weekend, and cannot attend Hershey.

If your intent was to auction these items, then I wish you hadn't posted any prices. However, if your intent was to let your fellow Dorkis know what was going to be available, and what you're hoping to get for them, then I think accepting a full price offer is only fair.

Please let me know if we can work this out. I offered to pay in advance, sight unseen, because I'm not looking for concourse conditioni stuff, and I trust your word that everything is in decent working order. If something is questionable, please let me know.

Tony P.

Tony, that's a very tempting offer. I'd sell this stuff to you right now if both the trans and the wheels weren't buried under everything else going to Hershey. At this point there's no way to pull them off before tomorrow so they're going to have to go to Hershey. The other issue is I may have priced them a little low since people are all over for the trans. I might have to raise the price a bit at Hershey. However, if it comes back with me - it's yours for $490 per your offer, same with the wheels.

Bill,

In that case I'd like to pay you full asking price ($715) for the LSD and Fuchs wheels. I'm interested in spares for my race car 944. I can PayPal you immediately for all or a portion today, and we can arrange pickup for after Hershey.

Tony P.

I appreciate your interest. Since everything is loaded I'm going to just bring everything up to Hershey. However, if I come back with the wheels or the trans you are welcomed to them. Thanks again for your interest. Bill

Bill,

I'm very interested in both. Unfortunately, I'm out of town this weekend, and can't make it to Hershey. However, I'm willing to pay you immediately $650 for the tranny and wheels. I just saw your post that they're already on the trailer. I was hoping to possibly save you the trouble of hauling them to Hershey. However, I'd be willing to come by your place to pick them up either Sunday or sometime next week.

If you'd like to call me, I'm home right now, and my number is XXXXXX (Damascus, MD).

Thanks for your interest, the Fuchs are 15" not 16" unfortunately. The LSD is a nice unit, come find me Staurday and grab what you like. Thanks for your interest. Bill

I'm interested in the LSD tranny and Fuch wheels. What size are the Fuchs? And possibly a few of the other items.

On Saturday morning, in the Hershey Swap Meet lot, between 7:00 & 7:30AM, Jim, with cash in pocket, shows up at Bill's spots. Bill advises Jim that when he parked his trailer the nite before (he never mentioned he was planning to do this, in which case I could have possibly made arrangements for a Fri nite meeting....) and unloaded his stuff, another "nite-before" participant (a racer from Cleveland) approached him about some of the items. And apparently a deal was struck for a number of items, including the LSD tranny and Fuch wheels, that I thought had been promised to me.

Jim called to break the news to me. I immediately called Bill's cellphone, which wasn't answered, and I left a voicemail message, indicating I was upset that he hadn't honored our deal, and unless I heard from him would followup by posting something online to alert others of his questionable ethics. I called Bill again a few minutes later; he answered and had already heard my voicemail. He said the parts were his to do with as he pleased, and that when someone offered him cash on the spot the nite before, it was his prerogative to do as he pleased. He said I was a "cry baby", and that if I posted something about him, he warned me "it would get ugly".

A short while later, Bill called me back. Apparently, he had some sort of reflection about these events, and said he was sorry about what had transpired, and offered to give me for free any parts that might return back home with after Hershey. While I appreciated his offer, I told it was quite clear from our PM exchange in the days preceding that I was interested in some very specific parts and had gone to great lengths to accommodate his demands, since I was going to be out of town the entire weekend and couldn't personally be at Hershey. I basically told him that I was not interested in cleaning out his garage.

Well.......you'll now notice that all these recent posts on Dorkiphus have been deleted, including his For Sale thread:

I did discover that he posted a similar For Sale thread over on Rennlist (at least until he decides to delete it, too....):

While I thought about how to handle this, and whether or not I should post anything, I discovered that Bill handled some of his acquaintances a bit differently, essentially promising to hold parts for them:

Needless to say, this only fueled my concerns.

So here it is......my opportunity to vent, and hopefully let others know about Iccy928's questionable ethics. Some would argue that all the necessary elements of a verbal contract existed between Bill and I, and that I lived up to all of my obligations and he didn't. Am I going to sue him in court about this?...... of course not. As he said in one of his PM's to me, "The other issue is I may have priced them a little low since people are all over for the trans. I might have to raise the price a bit at Hershey." Did he get a better offer, and actually never intended to sell them to me at what he'd adverstised?....I'll probably never know the truth.

What I do know is that Bill had both my cell and home phones and could have called me on Friday nite to let me know of a potential sale that was developing with someone else. However, in our phone discussion the following morning, he mentioned that he had not brought my phone numbers with him, so wasn't able to call me. Bill claims that he sold the LSD tranny and wheels at the advertised price, along with some other items. I believe he could have told the 2nd prospective buyer that he had already committed to someone coming early on Saturday to look at certain items, and if that sale didn't transpire, they would be available. But for whatever reason he chose not to do that. Its disconcerting that he kept insisting I should wait in the wings, yet he could not ask for the same accommodation from the Friday nite buyer.

If you've made it this far, I thank you for taking the time to let me vent. I want to conclude by saying that if this post is the equivalent of acting like a "cry baby", then so be it. But IMHO, I would much rather be a crybaby than someone whose ethics are lacking, and does not know the meaning (or value) of honesty and integrity.

You be the judge.......If I've behaved badly, I want to learn from it.
Old 04-27-2009 | 03:54 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Well, it now appears that Iccy928 was duping more than one person at Hershey with that tranny. Here's a thread from another victim:

Take from this what you will.......

Last edited by aj986s; 04-28-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2009 | 08:37 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

not only that, but those fendors and body parts werent even guards red !! >_> i was dissappointed =...(

but people should really honor their word when they exchange deals like this. sorry it happened, and you have every right to vent !! and we have every right to choose to listen or not
Old 04-27-2009 | 10:22 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Ohhhh MYYYYYYYyyyyyy GOOOOoooodddddd.

AJ986s

Are you kidding me.

So, a guy comes on line and tells you he has cheap parts and is coming to a swap meet.

You brow beat the heck out of the poor guy. The best commitment you get is that he will try to hold the parts.

From what I can tell, you probably showed up somewhere around 11 o clock looking for 'your' parts from a nice guy selling his parts very cheap.

NOW you are aggravated because it did not all work out for you and you did not end up with a transmission and wheels at probably half of the price he could have offered them at. AND you still tried to beat him down on price ???

I bought a few things from Bill and found him to be a very nice guy. I would buy from him again.

Sorry that you did not end up with your cheap parts.

That said, there is a guy in this area (Cleveland) A part above, that has been selling LSD transmissions for $800. You should hit him up.

My final thoughts. You are spending WAY to much time crying in your Cheerios about this one. You have been on this board for exactly 18 posts. I think half of them are in this thread.

Thanks for the great parts Bill. I already needed to use one of the calipers off of the front spindle. Found my caliper is leaking.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-28-2009 | 02:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911racer

AJ986s

Are you kidding me.

So, a guy comes on line and tells you he has cheap parts and is coming to a swap meet.

You brow beat the heck out of the poor guy. The best commitment you get is that he will try to hold the parts.

From what I can tell, you probably showed up somewhere around 11 o clock looking for 'your' parts from a nice guy selling his parts very cheap.

NOW you are aggravated because it did not all work out for you and you did not end up with a transmission and wheels at probably half of the price he could have offered them at. AND you still tried to beat him down on price ???

I bought a few things from Bill and found him to be a very nice guy. I would buy from him again.

That said, there is a guy in this area (Cleveland) A part above, that has been selling LSD transmissions for $800. You should hit him up.

My final thoughts. You are spending WAY to much time crying in your Cheerios about this one. You have been on this board for exactly 18 posts. I think half of them are in this thread.

Thanks for the great parts Bill. I already needed to use one of the calipers off of the front spindle. Found my caliper is leaking.

Thanks

Ed
Out of curiosity, are you the person who bought the parts that Tony was trying to buy?
Old 04-28-2009 | 04:25 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Did I buy some of the parts he was looking to buy?

I know I got the rear banana arms, the front spindles. I took the blocks and one of the heads. I think another of our group bought a hatch.

Why do you ask.

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-28-2009 | 08:48 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

I bought the tranny and several other parts. I responded very early in the for sale thread the way I always do "I'll take xxxx." No offer, bid or attempt to negotiate. Too many people respond with "put me first in line" or "I'll take it if it checks out....." I'm not sure who said they'd take it first, without strings attached, or who he responded too first, but I think this thread is a little over the top. Maybe communications weren't completely clear, but I don't think he was malicious or attempting to cheat anyone.
Old 04-28-2009 | 09:13 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Truth is, it's very hard to beat the guy who fronts up first, cash in hand, paying the asking price. A bird in the hand, and all that...
Old 04-28-2009 | 09:28 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911racer

AJ986s

Are you kidding me.

Thanks

Ed
FWIW, the problem here is that Bill chose to be deliberately vague about this whole deal. If he had simply said "I can't hold any parts for anyone. I have to deal first-come, first-served", I could have lived with it. Instead, he kept leading me on that I might have some right to the parts. In retrospect, I give Bill credit for being more non-committal than it originally appeared. Its too bad he just couldn't say it outright.

Regarding my "attempt" to negotiate with him, please note that it was before I was aware that the items were already loaded into his trailer. I thought it might be worth something if I saved him the trouble of loading and transporting the items to Hershey. If you think this was unreasonable on my part, please let me know. Once Bill advised me that his trailer was already loaded, I happilly offered him his full asking price.

However, I can't tell from your post whether you're a personal friend of Bill's or not, relative to how much you know about this situation. If Bill described to you how I "tried to beat him down on price", all you need to do is look at the PM discussions to see how that went. But I get the impression you haven't read my post at all; my friend Jim was at Bill's door at 7:05AM, not at 11AM as you presume.

If you've read my post you would know that I was not going to be able to attend Hershey; I had to attend a wedding in NC, and was leaving on Friday morning. All the discussion between Bill & I took place on Thursday. Based upon Bill's comments, I contacted several people who were planning to be at Hershey, and arranged for one of them to front me hundreds of dollars in cash, in order to meet Bill's apparent demands. After making all these arrangements, which Bill knew I was arranging, it's just very aggravating that he couldn't keep his word.

I'm happy that you found some parts you could use from Bill. But I'm sorry that you think integrity and ethics do matter much. When I've sold something, and had someone offer me full price, I always give them a reasonable opportunity to close the deal, like setting a time deadline, or being given first-right-of-refusal if another offer comes along. But to tell someone (and I quote from Bill's PM)

"No problem taking the parts home with me, pick them up whenever, but I definately prefer cash. My cell is XXXXX. I'll be located in spots B85-87 and I'll have a big banner up per my original post. Tell Jim to get there early and make these parts yours. Thanks again, Bill"

and then not have them available at 7:05AM (and remember...the gates officially open at 7:30AM) seems like Bill's "word" suffers a bit in the credibility department.

Quick Reply: 944 Parts for Sale at Hershey... CHEAP!!!