Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Parts for Sale at Hershey... CHEAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
I bought the tranny and several other parts. I responded very early in the for sale thread the way I always do "I'll take xxxx." No offer, bid or attempt to negotiate. Too many people respond with "put me first in line" or "I'll take it if it checks out....." I'm not sure who said they'd take it first, without strings attached, or who he responded too first, but I think this thread is a little over the top. Maybe communications weren't completely clear, but I don't think he was malicious or attempting to cheat anyone.
Congrats on your deal with Bill.

If you had read my post, you would know that I had initially responded to Bill at 6:09AM. However, according to you, you "responded very early in the for sale thread". Your post about sending Bill a PM was at 9:24AM.

However, if you sent him something earlier than that, I don't have those facts. Note that both of us were preceeded by PSheridan sending a request to Bill at around 1:30AM........though both Patrick & I responded to Bill's post on a different board.

As far as negotiating a price with Bill, so what? As I've said above, I thought I could do him a favor by alleviating the need to haul a tranny and 4 wheels & tires to Hershey. Plus, what I offered him was not a big drop in price either. When he said the trailer was already loaded, I happily offered him full price. I find it interesting that you and Racer911 should harp on this point, because Bill never mentioned any concern to me.

I applaud you & Bill for figuring out that the best buys at Hershey happen on Friday nite when most people can't, or don't know, to be there..... ..
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Truth is, it's very hard to beat the guy who fronts up first, cash in hand, paying the asking price. A bird in the hand, and all that...
+100 ... If I had a buck for everyone who said "hold that for me" or "I'm on my way there to buy" and never showed, or whose wife /mother/dog said he couldn't go thru with the deal....

This wasn't an auction, or even straight sale. Swap meets are First In, first out.
Shame on Bill for even implying otherwise, but that's how it works.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

All of this could have been taken care of without posting PM's or personal emails from the seller. PM means just that, "Private Message", and are not supposed to be posted on this forum in personal disputes. I've been to too many Swap Meets to actually think a seller is going to hold parts if someone else shows up with cash. I've missed some fabulous deals by just being 5 minutes late and it's frustrating but I don't see that Bill did anything wrong from what I read here.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
All of this could have been taken care of without posting PM's or personal emails from the seller. PM means just that, "Private Message", and are not supposed to be posted on this forum in personal disputes. I've been to too many Swap Meets to actually think a seller is going to hold parts if someone else shows up with cash. I've missed some fabulous deals by just being 5 minutes late and it's frustrating but I don't see that Bill did anything wrong from what I read here.
I agree KuHL. You can type very ernestly, "I will have someone there with the cash at 7AM", etc, etc, blah, blah. That is no guarantee in today's world, or especially at a swap meet. You can **** and moan about honesty and code and whatever, but an online email, or telehone call promise shouldn't and cannot be considered written in stone. First come, first served, bird in hand, buyer beware, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

If you & or Iccy928 insist that I remove the PM's, I'll do so. I thought it be more informative than trying to summarize and subsequently debate the content.

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
I agree KuHL. You can type very ernestly, "I will have someone there with the cash at 7AM", etc, etc, blah, blah. That is no guarantee in today's world, or especially at a swap meet. You can **** and moan about honesty and code and whatever, but an online email, or telehone call promise shouldn't and cannot be considered written in stone. First come, first served, bird in hand, buyer beware, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.
I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's possible to conduct business in a trustworthy manner. If I overreacted, cried in my cheerios, etc. its primarily because I tried to pre-purchase the parts and Bill kept coming up with excuses to do otherwise. When my friend showed up at the opening bell of the Swap Meet, with cash in hand, the parts were already pre-sold. Go figure.........
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

My guess would be Bill has been burned in the past by guys saying that they will take the parts so he leaves them at home, then they don't show up with the cash and he is out a sale. He's trying to fund a "race" car IIRC, and he needs the dough in hand.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
If you & or Iccy928 insist that I remove the PM's, I'll do so. I thought it be more informative than trying to summarize and subsequently debate the content.

I'm not insisting anything, or really care that much; and Iccy928can do what he wants. I just wanted you to be aware that PM's are not supposed to be shared on these forums, it's bad form. This was the result of similar bad feelings many years ago when a disgruntled buyer posted a vendors PM's without his permission; the Mods got all over it. I thought Bill's prices were incredible also but realized he was only selling at Hershey and that left me out. It's a shame it turned out the way it did but I've been left out to hang on two vehicle sales where the buyer said they would be over with the money and to hold the car and they never showed. Again I'm not siding with anyone here but a personal matter becomes public when aired for all to read.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

I'm not insisting anything, or really care that much; and Iccy928can do what he wants. I just wanted you to be aware that PM's are not supposed to be shared on these forums, it's bad form. This was the result of similar bad feelings many years ago when a disgruntled buyer posted a vendors PM's without his permission; the Mods got all over it. I thought Bill's prices were incredible also but realized he was only selling at Hershey and that left me out. It's a shame it turned out the way it did but I've been left out to hang on two vehicle sales where the buyer said they would be over with the money and to hold the car and they never showed. Again I'm not siding with anyone here but a personal matter becomes public when aired for all to read.
I do appreciate the info. Quite honestly, I've only been on internet car boards since about 2004, and this is the first time I've seen (or been through) something like this. I understand the privacy thing, and now know the protocol. Fortunately, the PM exchange between Bill and I was very civil, and didn't contain any state secrets, so I thought it would be safe to post. Thanks for the education.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theykallmekem
not only that, but those fendors and body parts werent even guards red !! >_> i was dissappointed =...(

but people should really honor their word when they exchange deals like this. sorry it happened, and you have every right to vent !! and we have every right to choose to listen or not

The fenders were absolutely Guards Red. I saw them walk away on Friday as i went to buy them. they were later resold by the vendor who bought them for triple the price. I still need them, but I'm not going to whine about it. I got there late--end of story.

NEVER does it say in any exchange with anyone here "I will absolutely hold parts for you, 100%, no excuses." Is this thread full of swap meet newbies? No one holds parts on a promise when cash is in front of them! The early bird gets the worm, and you should NEVER assume it happens any other way! This is a small swap meet, too--the big ones have transactions starting on WEDNESDAY for a Saturday show!

Bill ended up giving me the tan seats for free after I bought the black ones. he gave me a great deal on the hatch, and i bought a number of other pieces from him as well. nice guy.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
kccampro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I appreciate the support. To everyone who bought parts from me I hope they work well for you and I hope I can work with you guys again. I met a lot of good guys at Hershey. Anyone who delt with me at Hershey could clearly see I was just a guy trying to get rid of extra parts most at well below market value – not trying to screw over anyone, I take this very seriously.

And yes, not only have I been burned in the past - I had several people PM me about parts they wanted and Aj986s was the only one who showed up. Unfortunately, I had already sold the parts to North Coast Cab, Pettybird and 911 Racer (great guys BTW). I was sorry I didn't have the parts for Aj986s but all this about trying to screw people over is insane, and I found this whole post over the top and unnecessary - it was a swap meet. But I understand his position and I manned up to my part in this and my poor communication prior to the event.

Aj986s, I thought we discussed this issue fairly thoroughly on the other forum…

Last edited by kccampro; 04-29-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:01 AM
moorepower
Pro

So......Any good stuff left over?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

haha kids pissed because he didnt get the cheep parts
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iccy928

Aj986s, I thought we discussed this issue fairly thoroughly on the other forum…
Bill,
We did resolve this, and as you mention, I agree that communication was at the core of problem. Lessons learned for me, and sounds like you, too. Recognize that I'm still a bit of newbie at all this. I didn't enter the world of P-cars until 2004, when my wife & I bought a '00 Boxster S to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Since then I've owned 2 944S2's (one was totalled by another car), a 944 NA that was a former race car and is now relegated to autox & DE duty. Plus I bought a 944 SP2 racer (TD in DC's former car), and joined PCA Club Racing and NASA (I used to SCCA race a Datsun 240Z in mid '80's). My wife and 2 oldest sons autox and DE, hence the multiple cars. I'm also now a DE Instructor and run the Autox Program for our PCA Region.

Unfortunately, I've not been to many swap meets; in fact I've only been to Hershey twice. This year's experience has obviously taught me alot about swap meet protocols. Whereas I think it stinks that norm is not trust anyone before a swap meet, I understand now that has to be the norm. As you've said, a lot more people didn't show than did.

These would be the lessons learned that I've come away from this experience:
  • If you want someone to hold parts for you, be very specific about deadlines to meet. Avoid vagaries, be prompt, and make arrangments to contact if something causes you to delay.
  • Don't promise to hold parts for anyone if you can't keep that promise. If your intent is first-come first-served, just say it upfront.
  • If a seller tells you that parts are promised till a certain time, try to respect that.

In the end, this is all water under the bridge. And I, too, hold no malice against you. Lots of good input on both sides of the matter, and if at least a few people have learned something from it (myself included), its a good thing.

Maybe one day we can laugh about this over a beer.........

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
haha kids pissed because he didnt get the cheep parts
This "kid" has been around for a while.....almost half a century
Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
kccampro
Pro

Tony, the beer is on me.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

There you go.

Quick Reply: 944 Parts for Sale at Hershey... CHEAP!!!