Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - P.O.S. Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 06:01 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post OT - P.O.S. Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Ok, my brother has an 1.8T Quattro. It is a 2001, and he just had his +++K service done about 2 weeks ago. I think 40k, he lives in atl and drives a lot. It is a nice car, loaded and all the un-neccessities.

He was on the I-state the other day and the car just quit. He was running about 75, and no big deal. He got it over and tried to start. He said that it sounded like the starter wasn't engaging. He works for KPMG, not a mechanic. That is the best that I could get out of him.

He had it towed to the dealer and they gave him a loaner.

Next day:

"well, your timing (belt or chain?) broke..."

We all know this story...

"...and it bent some valves, damaged a piston, and seems to (read this) 'cracked the block.'"

Can you believe that crap. A fairly new car, with a dealer tune-up, and it craps out.

At least he is getting a mostly new engine out of the deal.

Anyway, enough of the rant and rave. Post on.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:07 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Is it covered under warrenty?

Audi is really good with that stuff for the most part....

We have had 6 of them in the family sense 86 and all the different dealers have always gone above and beyond to fix them. Maybe we just have had good dealers....
Old 07-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
My buddy with the GTI has had his car at 6 dealers for an ECU problem. They replaced the turbo 2 times, 4 MAF's, 4 Diverter valves, hoses, gaskets, and tried to pull his warantee because of the aftermarket exhaust he has. He was without the car for a total of 7 months. After a lawyer contacted VWoA, they agreed to continue to work on the car. I told the service rep at dealer #6 that he knew nothing, and suggested an ECU replacement. 3 weeks later and another turbo, still won't run well. Next day they swapped the ECU with one from the parts counter, and low and behold the car has run fine for 5000 miles.

BTW, it is a 2001 with 21,000 on it.

It happens, lemons roll off the line here and there for every car maker, but how they deal with it tells me what the company is really like.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:19 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon
My daily driver has the 1.8, currently to go in for its 40k (mls) service.
Belt is to be inspected with this service.
For my non T there seems no replacement requirement at fixed milage.

I feel that 40K mls is a bit early for the belt to retire, so something must have been wrong there like an bearing in the roller/tensioner or mis-alignment of the tensioner.
Could have gone wrong with the xxx service 2 weeks ago: the most dangerous moments in life of an car are the moments it leaves the shop AFTER an service!!!

IIRC Audi has 3 years warranty with milage limitation, at least my (european) VW has.
Am not too sure if the clauses are the same in USA.

I think it is advisable to start pressing gently for warranty at the shop the car has been serviced last. Talk first, but confirm everything in writing.
If without result, than move on to the next level: Audi USA and start writing again.
The next step up is the works in Germany and parrallel an letter from an lawer to Audi USA.
They will move but it might take a while.
TakeCare
Old 07-05-2002, 05:27 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys,
The breaking belt is quite well known here in Europe on the A series of Audis. It is recommended to replace the belt (not that you will find it actualy written anywhere) at 100,000km or 60,000miles. Unfortunately there have been several reported cases of the belt breaking earlier. From what I have seen and heard I think 40,000 miles and get it replaced under warranty.
I remember digging all this data up for a few colleagues back home in Australia and the USA who suffered the same fate. It was well reported at the time in the local motoring press. If I also remember correctly this cam eup on the email 911 rennlist some time ago. This should be in the archives.
I am not sure what the warranty period is in the USA but a 2001 model year should still be under full factory warranty,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Thanks Adrian
I will make my dealer look twice and re-check again when the car goes in for service.
TakeCare
Old 07-05-2002, 02:47 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He does have the extended warrenty, and yes it is covered. It has been serviced by Audi for everything. My brother doens't even change his own oil. Not that he can't, but he is either too busy (mostly) or too lazy (sometimes).

They probably just checked the tension of the belt quickly and didn't notice threads poking out...

Old 07-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"He works for KPMG, not a mechanic."

Many people who work for KPMG are quite handy. The tools they use the most are their cel phones and their plastic.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I have tons of good Audi expieriences and no bad ones, but that is just me.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:17 PM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Tabor Kelly:
<strong>I have tons of good Audi experiences and no bad ones, but that is just me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ditto. My '92 100S has been the most reliable car that I've ever owned. It's been fantastic. It's been out on the track twice at LimeRock, and all over the country... on a 5500 mile drive out to Pike's Peak and back (and that was when the car had over 120k miles)!!

It currently has 194k miles, and it is going strong. I'm looking forward to many more years and many more miles!! (I haven't had a car payment on it for over 3 years!! Yahoo!!)

I did have a problem with the tranny when I first bought it (a week afterwards!!), and Audi authorized to replace the entire transmission under warranty. (And the car was a pre-owned "certified" car with only 49k miles on it.)

Quick Reply: OT - P.O.S. Audi A4 1.8T Quattro