Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Caliper fell off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Caliper fell off?

Anyone had a caliper just fall off? I recently had a break job done by my mechanic, he does VWs Porsches and Acuras. It happened about a week after I had the job done. I pulled over, jacked the car up pulled the wheel off and noticed one of the bolts had fallen completely out. This allowed the caliper to rub my Fuche wheel on the inside like a lathe taking a good couple thousandths off.

Is this common? Should I even consider complaining or just buy a new bolt and put new pads etc on?

Marcus
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

oh forgot it's the drivers side rear caliper.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Definitely note the complaint and maybe show it to him. If you end up with a problem with the wheel or caliper, you'll want that record.

FWIW, I had a front caliper bolt slowly back out on my Mercedes C32. The first symptom was a knock. It became a scraping noise. Just tightened it up and no harm done.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusw03
Anyone had a caliper just fall off? I recently had a break job done by my mechanic, he does VWs Porsches and Acuras. It happened about a week after I had the job done. I pulled over, jacked the car up pulled the wheel off and noticed one of the bolts had fallen completely out. This allowed the caliper to rub my Fuche wheel on the inside like a lathe taking a good couple thousandths off.

Is this common? Should I even consider complaining or just buy a new bolt and put new pads etc on?

Marcus
I had one BREAK off on track. I think a one bolt may have backed out and then it just broke on the other. However it was tough to tell from all the damage. Maybe it just came off after?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

He didn't tighten the caliper when he put it back together. Oops

I would bring up the situation with the shop in a nice manner, and they should offer to fix it for you free of charge. Everyone is human and makes mistakes, but it should at least be brought up so it reinforces the theory of double checking your work before sending it out the door. The problem with brakes, is that it could have caused a serious safety issue, so the shop manager needs to know about it.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn, a lathed Fuchs wheel. That'll surely put it out of balance. Complain to the shop, have them recheck your brakes, and make them aware that your wheel may need repair or possibly replacement.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

Initially I wanted to go with FRporschemans response, when it first happened. You think it will really mess with the balance? it's 1/2" wide and about 5-7 thousandths deep.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
He didn't tighten the caliper when he put it back together. Oops
Yes, and those 2 bolts take a good 85 Nm torque, too.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Absolutely common (I did it on my own truck doing the front brakes, and lost a wheel over it...the caliper punched through the inside of the wheel when I hit the brakes backing up before I realized what was going on), and absolutely the fault of whoever did the brake job.

You should get your brakes re-done and new wheel out of this. It's totally their fault.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Initially I wanted to go with FRporschemans response, when it first happened. You think it will really mess with the balance? it's 1/2" wide and about 5-7 thousandths deep.
I suppose it's possible for the wheel to still be balanced, but the only way to know is to put it on a balancer. Besides, it's not your responsibility, and you shouldn't have to retain this damage, so make a stink and get your new wheel, or some equivalent satisfaction at their expense - it's their fault.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper fell off?