Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Rollbar - painted at home - pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i see quite a few boards were put in place for backups haha. thats cool though, our junkyard here only uses TWO steelie wheels to keep cars off the ground which is pretty scary haha.

that came out pretty nice! excellent work roman!!

your stripping job came out way better than mine did! i had ALOT of glue to pick up, i had to end up grinding mine. You'll be able to see my job 2morrow hopefully as i ran into some snags finishing it up.

great work!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well roman, whatever gets the job done !! my dad use to use wood blocks on our VAN, thats when i just bought us jackstands. lol.

hankooks are a nice choice, but i still want to remain a mostly street car, and besides with a 3 speed, i wont be going anywhere fast anyway lol but i try.

i think autocross has some limits on coilovers and suspension upgrades...but not too sure. just focus on getting the car running !!!! that is what is important !!! just know that if and when you get frustrated WALK AWAY, dont linger or anything too much about it, just walk away and take a week off.

and plus, there will be other days that are nice, there will be many summers coming and more nice days so dont be discouraged about missing out a few seasonal days !!

ill take you up on that autocross roman ahahahaa best of luck and thanks bro
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
ya i see quite a few boards were put in place for backups haha. thats cool though, our junkyard here only uses TWO steelie wheels to keep cars off the ground which is pretty scary haha.

that came out pretty nice! excellent work roman!!

your stripping job came out way better than mine did! i had ALOT of glue to pick up, i had to end up grinding mine. You'll be able to see my job 2morrow hopefully as i ran into some snags finishing it up.

great work!
thanks!

mine stalled because I can't take passenger seat out, I am not sure yet how we are going to take care of that problem, it doesn't move forward or back, just angles, and its in "far back" enough position so that none of the bolts are acessable

so I sprayed the rails with PB Blaster and we'll see what happens - the seats are intact and driver's side is like new, while passenger's side could have the bottom reupholstered

I'm using a metal scraper and a blade to get the glue off - going really slow so that not to damage the paint too much!

Kem - no problem, we were using some BIG blocks on the ML320 while doing brakes yesterday, HAHAHAH! we got them right under the frame so it was solid! I'm down for A-X, just let me sort this thing out!

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
nice job with the paint but dude..... get some jackstands seriously... that is the scariest looking thing i've ever seen
+1 trillion.

Really all you need is cheap set from autozone. $40 for a set of 4. I use those and they work great, but boards are just asking for trouble.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:51 AM
purple_rado
Racer

ya im sorry, but that's ridiculous. buy some jack stands!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:45 PM
roman944
Drifting

ok so I took both seats out and conitinued taking out the carpet/sound dampening stuff

its so old in a couple of spots it took the paint with it down to the metal - I'll have pics up

there is a small dent/hole by the front jack point - I think the jack sliped and the car droped on it, or maybe someone used a jackstand and didn't know how to use it properly - in any case, the damage here is not that bad because car has rubber undercoating

now for a real problem: my passenger side floor is wet - but intact, no cracks or hole of any kind; however, my driver's side - which is dry - by the rear outside seat mount there are some nasty cracks where I can see right through it down to the ground - so I will have to atleast have someone weld something there

I need suggestions on what/how to deal with that part, can it be welded or a whole new floor is going to be needed? its just cracks around 1 corner and the mount started lowering down in that corner - for now - so I'm sure it can be filled/welded or whatever

maybe Jim or someone else local knows someone that can stop by with their welder and do this? I'm going to post it in our local forum and see

thanks - I have pics of what I did today coming up soon
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by roman944
ok so I took both seats out and conitinued taking out the carpet/sound dampening stuff

its so old in a couple of spots it took the paint with it down to the metal - I'll have pics up

there is a small dent/hole by the front jack point - I think the jack sliped and the car droped on it, or maybe someone used a jackstand and didn't know how to use it properly - in any case, the damage here is not that bad because car has rubber undercoating

now for a real problem: my passenger side floor is wet - but intact, no cracks or hole of any kind; however, my driver's side - which is dry - by the rear outside seat mount there are some nasty cracks where I can see right through it down to the ground - so I will have to atleast have someone weld something there

I need suggestions on what/how to deal with that part, can it be welded or a whole new floor is going to be needed? its just cracks around 1 corner and the mount started lowering down in that corner - for now - so I'm sure it can be filled/welded or whatever

maybe Jim or someone else local knows someone that can stop by with their welder and do this? I'm going to post it in our local forum and see

thanks - I have pics of what I did today coming up soon
For your passenger-side wet floor, that would probably be your battery tray. Take out the battery (if you haven't already) and inspect that area. I'll bet a set of cookie cutters it's rusted. These things are notorious for rusting out and allowing the rainwater into the cabin. You can either patch it up with fiberglass or weld some new metal in there... or go the route I went and delete the battery tray with stainless steel and relocate the battery to the rear where it should have been to begin with.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM
roman944
Drifting

Marc - how did you run the wire? or is there a kit for relocationg battery? I know that my "removable top" seal is probably really bad by now, that is where I think its leaking - when taking out side panels they were a little moist but not wet

here are some stripping pics from today - its about to start raining, so I am going to leave it untill its nice and sunny again:

Driver side view:

If you look here - towards the bottom - you can see one spot where its completely through and you can see the driveway:

this is the one I need help with - patching or welding a new one in there?

This is where center console is - I want to keep the carpet around the shifter and stuff and that little pocket that's there - its kind of usefull so I'll leave it there (atleast for now) - going to cut and strip everything around it; what can I use to clean off this black tar? I've been using Un-Goo and a knife and its working allright, but I haven't tried it on the tar yet

Passenger side seat mounts - look allright - these were wet, and tere was some standing water and PB Blaster down there (for when I sprayed to take out the seat) - I threw a rag on them and in a few mnts it was all dry:

This is view from passenger side, back seat portion is so nice right now - I also cleaned out both wheel wells - forgot to take a pic, they are coming along nicely although there is some paint scratches now; also, interior panel - when removed (the one right by the door) it took a good ammount of paint wtih it - so I am guessing I'll have to spray inside of the car now anyways - especially if driver's floor needs some welding/patching:

So here's is all that was done today. Removing the seats was a real PITA - if anyone wants them I'm going to put them up for sale. Beware that the bottom sliding parts will probably have to be removed and you should get new ones (sliding part) - but the seat itself is intact and whole, no chunks missing or nothing
Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM
roman944
Drifting

BTW, we also fixed my E-brake - it wasn't broken, a piece that is making the clicking noise when you pull it up came loose, we put it back on an dthe E-brake is back up and working
Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
Jim and Spoolin were nice enough to forward me to a 6-point harness - so I will be getting that and replacing my belts with those
Dont even think about a six point harness with the factory seats.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Dont even think about a six point harness with the factory seats.
oh, no, ofcourse not!

that reminds me - if anyone needs a pair of seats - my driver's side seat is perfect - it even slides! but my passenger's seat could be recovered on the seat portion, and it doesn't slide - it either needs a really good cleaning or to be replaced/fixed

I also have some door panels etc.

so long as we are on subject of seats and harnesses, which seats - or all of them? can be used with a 6-point harness?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:30 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the Rochester Craigslist. Someone posted today looking for early 944 interior bits. You may have a local buyer for some of that stuff.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiners780
Check the Rochester Craigslist. Someone posted today looking for early 944 interior bits. You may have a local buyer for some of that stuff.

woot, just did that, awesome

my dad came in and asked if I had sold anything, I told him to h/o a minute

I see some seats (like Sparco Evo 2) that have 4 slots for harnesses I guess this is the kind I need

Quick Reply: Redline Rollbar - painted at home - pics