Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
ParkerFya
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Problems

So I got into my 1984 944 and pushed in the clutch,instead of having resistance, the pedal went sprung to the floor. I grabbed it with my hand and pulled it back out. It has quit a bit of resistance till the pedal is about half way out in then it springs back.

The car still starts and every thing fine except when i push in the clutch it thumps to the floor. I looked under the dash and it didn't seem there was any oil leaking from the master cylinder.

Any ideas whats up?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
StraightSix
Intermediate

Does the car go into gear at all?

I would check the slave and the master cylinders.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:30 PM
ParkerFya
Instructor

It goes into all the gear easily when its not running. I am afraid to put it into gear while running. How would i check the master cylinder?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The clutch slave is ***'d. Easy fix.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
kaseymusser
2nd Gear

when you replace either the slave or master cylinder its really easy to use a phoenix injector to bleed the clutch i had trouble doing it the way the haynes told me to. either way have someone keep an eye on the reservior to make sure your not sucking air back into the system(had that problem as well). also if you still have problems bleeding it tap on the clutch line going from the master to the slave while bleeding it to free any air bubbles(had that problem as well)
Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Johnny Player Special
Instructor

I had the same prob, press the clutch it would go to the floor and stay there then you have to hook the pedal with your foot and pull it back. Replaced the slave cyl and bingo good as new. Should of done it when I replaced the clutch but my wallet had dust in it.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was about to ask what a phoenix injector is, then I decided to just Google it.
http://www.brakebleeder.com/

I'm impressed. Everyone on Rennlist swears by the Motive Powerbleeder, but that dumb thing never works for me when doing the clutch. It works well with brakes though. But I really want this phoenix bleeder, it looks the stuff.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I was about to ask what a phoenix injector is, then I decided to just Google it.

I'm impressed. Everyone on Rennlist swears by the Motive Powerbleeder, but that dumb thing never works for me when doing the clutch. It works well with brakes though. But I really want this phoenix bleeder, it looks the stuff.
Looks like just another version of the "Mityvac," which did not work for me.

Instead, I use my home made pressure bleeder, built along the lines of the Motive, and it works just fine on the brakes and clutch. Just hook it up to the brake fluid reservoir with a quart of fluid in the bottle, pump it up to 10 bar, and bleed away. I find it hard to believe that the Motive doesn't work for you?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Looks like just another version of the "Mityvac," which did not work for me.

Instead, I use my home made pressure bleeder, built along the lines of the Motive, and it works just fine on the brakes and clutch. Just hook it up to the brake fluid reservoir with a quart of fluid in the bottle, pump it up to 10 bar, and bleed away. I find it hard to believe that the Motive doesn't work for you?

You pump it up to 150 psi??
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman

It's overpriced, and performs the same functions as a Motive and a mitivac. You can have probably 4 motives and 4 mitivacs for the price of that thing that I saw on the site.

Motives work fine for the clutch, and everything else I've used it on. If it doesn't for you, you've got another problem. Either with the car, or with your procedure. A different tool will not fix that.

Last edited by DarylJ; 04-23-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Meant "on the site"

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems