Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it too much? (An 88 951)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
eleventenths
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When is it too much? (An 88 951)

Being a new member here i've greatly enjoyed reading the informative posts by many of you, & have gained quite a bit of knowledge just in the short time. I thank you all for that. I do have a question that i'd like to know your thoughts on.

As it stands now i am not an owner of Germanys finest...yet...but i hope to be in the near future, but i don't want to do a knee jerk & grab one up too quick without doing it the proper way.

I'd like a 951, & have scoured many a link & site. There's a local owner who's offering an 88 for $5500. I do have the chance to see the records as the shop who has maintained it for the last 12 years is nearby & will show me the history.

My question is how much is too much? Mileage that is. It has 170k on it & before i look into it i was wondering what i should look for in regards to replacement (i.e. turbo,clutch,etc.). I know some of you have posted you have in some cases over 200k on yours but at what point do you think it's too tired?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on the car. Check the records to see when the major service has been done. If the clutch has been done in the past 50k you are probably good. The turbo may be due for a rebuild but if it doesn't burn oil, and is strong then it may be good. My car has 150k on it with (I think) the original turbo and it pulls very strong at 16psi (with a chipset and a MBC). Also check the timing belt service intervals.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
FASTRNU
Pro

There are 951's with 80k miles that need everything done,belts,seals,clutch and there are 170k mile cars that are well documented and are ready to enjoy.It all depends on the PO.Buyer Beware!! Do your research and don't fall in love with the first one you see,if you take your time and try to have a good Rennlister check it out.Then you can fall in LOVE.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR decide on a price point, and be prepared to bring it up to an accepatable level of operation ..

You get what you pay for, but every once in a while you can get a truly good deal... get a disinterested 3rd party to perform a PPI, and you shouldn't go wrong.. the PPI will tell you what needs to be done, and how soon...
Old 04-17-2009, 01:22 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys have pretty much covered it.

Even for a naturally aspirated car, at 170K, you will get more out of it if you rebuild the engine. With a turbo, due to the heat, this is even more true. In my opinion, 170K on a turbo is tired. It comes down to enjoying the car as is... versus making it live up to it's potential (and then there is modding, which the 951 responds very well to).

I'm the kind of guy that would want it up to at least stock potential, which means rebuild on just about any 951 you buy today unless you score a low mileage one. Which is going to be hard to find and cost a premium when you do.

However, I wouldn't be afraid to commit to a car and make it right. Every one of these cars requires a commitment. Nearly every 944 owner - heck every owner of a p-car over 20 years old - is upside down on his car. They just cost more money to make right and keep right than they will ever be worth in terms of resale value. Don't fool yourself on this, otherwise the car will just deteriorate (as so many have done due to neglect and "deferred maintenance")

But owning one isn't about resale - it's about enjoying it.

As far as just getting in and driving it, that has to do with documented maintenance on items such as the clutch, timing belt, and water pump. if it is good on those fronts, it is a pretty solid buy.

At some point in the next year you'll decide if you love the car and want to keep it. If you do, you'll eventually opt to rebuild, and then you will have a known good 951 with a fresh engine. That is a very cool thing. If you don't, you'll be able to sell it down the line and move on.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heck every owner of a p-car over 20 years old - is upside down on his car.
I resemble that remark....;]
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rmconner80
Nearly every 944 owner - heck every owner of a p-car over 20 years old - is upside down on his car.
And most weekends, we are upside down UNDER our cars!

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 944 motor even in turbo form can last a long long time. I took a 146k tore it down to put in new seals, bearings and light head work. I then raced it for 5 years and it still in great shape. The head need some cleanning, but I will tear it down rebuilt it for a spare to use for 5 more years.

So in some respects the car will last indefinitly. However work will need to be done. More miles probably means more work and more wear to resolve. It not anything that can't be fixed, but it is not exactly new either.

My stock 944 Turbo S street car has 137k miles on it. It is running fine and only issues are worn shocks, a leaky oil pan gasket and it probably needs motor mounts. I have no plans to get rid of it any time soon and I have owned it for 12 years now. One day I may "freshen" the motor, but it would be mostly just to do it.

BTW.. 8 years ago I saw a nice 83 944 with 500k on original engine and gearbox. The car was still owned by the original owner and said those compoents were never even opened.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

If u don't like to turn wrenches, best pay a higher price and get the lowest mile, well maintained, garage kept 951 u have the patience to find. Always get a PPI and they vary too, make sure it's detailed not just a "look over". Good luck....
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

If an 88 non S with 170k is worth 5500, then how much is an 89 951(S) with 50K miles, new belts, replaced clutch etc worth in excellent condition?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
joonas
Racer

How and when you want to drive the car?

If you want it for every day driving I would take the car that has very good interior and very good paint.

Changing clutch or engine does not cost as much as restoring paint, seats, ***** and all the small pieces.
You want to buy the car that has bills, that add up more than the car price
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM
eleventenths
Track Day

Thank's everyone for your input & advice, i do appreciate it.

Well, i went to the servicing shop today & poured over the r.o.'s for the last 9 years & noticed alot of work was done & NOT done, but advised by the tech. All this in less than 25k. Currently the most notable dilemna is a complete lack of turbo boost. Also the wiper motor is kaput, a.c. is non-functioning (leaker), & has persistent chassis gremlins (creaks,groans, & tire wear) amongst numerous other things. The shop was upfront with me & i value his word having known his 25 year rep. (i'm in the biz too) & know how being an enthusiast himself. I've yet to see it in the flesh, but it's alledgedly cosmetically & mechanically challenged. I'm going to have to pass on it. If it was considerably less, i had an enclosed shop, & alot more time to work on it, i'd jump on it. Otherwise i'll just be patient & wait 'til one comes along, or p/u a NA to play with in the meantime since they're more readily available.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

want an 89 turbo with 50k?

Quick Reply: When is it too much? (An 88 951)