Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you run your stored cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Post How many of you run your stored cars?

I was just cleaning my palacial estate, and came across my motorcycle helmet. I was thinking of tossing it on and taking the bike for a ride, when it warms up a little later this week.

I tossed it in storage Mid October, and it has not been moved since. I always found it better to winterize the vehicle, disconnect the battery, and cover it for the entire winter, thinking 1 cold start in the Spring is better than running it once a month.

So let's debate. Running your 944 for 1/2 hour a month keeps lifters somewhat full, but most of the oil will drain in the pan from the cylinder walls and rings. Running it once in the spring usually finds drained lifters, and a 5 second delay of oil flow, but I would think it would be less wear than letting it warm up once a month.

What is better?
Old 01-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brian, I used to be of the opinion that running the engine once a month was a good thing...In fact Porsche recommended early 924s, with A/C, run their engine once a month for the benefit of the A/C...

A recent thread brought out a pile of opinions that this practice was harmful to an engine...

I personally like the idea of circulating the oil every month or so...
Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FWIW, I believe the ambient temperature and moisture level of where you store the car also have some bearing on how well the car holds up. In my case, I've had a 951 stored 3 floors underground for 2 years now, and I've only turned it on one month out of the year when I'm in Europe.

The only thing I do is disconnect the battery and each and every time I've come back it's started right up and performed perfectly. The ambient temperature in that garage is never lower than 50 degrees and never hotter than 80. There's also some humidity but nothing major.

My S2 cabrio also sat in a storage unit in south Florida for 2 years with random interruptions and the same results. I think it's harder on the cars when they're stored in very cold or hot temperatures or excessively humid conditions, but don't have any scientific basis for this other than personal experience.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt know.. no luxury such as this. I drive mine daily.. see PORSCHE!!??!! no offense meant. I start mine daily and run it for at least an hour- all kinds of weather- no adverse affects.

Perry.. I ready to be adopted.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:46 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my tr7s been in storage for 3 years now w/ starts every 3 to 6 months. always starts up fine, i'd start it up more often if my storage unit wasnt 30 miles away. if you are going to store your car for an extended period of time i would invest in those tire savers, i have noticed the car feels like it has flat spots.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
sauerkraut- you are braver than me.. I had a run - in with a TR6, bought it- drove it home and that was it.. I loved the look , feel and driving experience.. could never get it to fire correctly again. sold it to a austin-healy nut i knew fo 100 bucks.. luckily i was only out 700 bucks..
Old 01-19-2003, 09:13 PM
k9
4th Gear

I start mine up through the winter more for the Air conditioning than for the engine. I had a Eagle Talon TSi that I used to store through the winter without starting. The last spring that I had it I started it up no problem, but when I started the A/C, what a horrible sound and expensive repair bill. I don't want to go through that with my Porsche. I now run the A/C at least once a month through the winter
Old 01-19-2003, 09:24 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

This topic seems to get a lot of debate...I feel like it is better to get it out and drive it rather than just firing it up and letting it get warm. My experience has been that the A/C issue is a major one; ya gotta run that a/c if you don't want to lose your charge. I've not had the coversion done, and with freon at something ridiculous like 80 bucks a pound, I'll run the car and fire up the a/c. That said, this winter has thus far been a bear and it has been catch as catch can with the weather...
Old 01-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by alpenweissisnice:
<strong>I feel like it is better to get it out and drive it rather than just firing it up and letting it get warm. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Guess they don't salt the roads in Kentucky like they do up here.

I start mine once a month or so too. Can't hurt it much and it sure makes me feel better.

On my bike, I just squirt some oil into the cylinders once in awhile and turn it over a few times.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:24 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
Put snows on that baby and drive it year 'round...

Okay, I'm biased. Your mileage may vary...
Old 01-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This might be of interest:

<a href="http://www.type2.com/library/misc/storage.htm" target="_blank">http://www.type2.com/library/misc/storage.htm</a>

I try to drive the 85.5 when there is no snow on the ground. I'll start her up, let her idle for 10 minutes or so, take her out for 45 minutes, bring her back, and let her idle down again, then turn her off and button it up.
This way, I can keep tabs on her (because I live a mile or so from where she is stored) and I can have something extra to look forward to when the weather gets nice

Micah
Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I agree it is worse to start it and not drive it. You don't want to let it sit and idle up to temp, then shut it off.

The extra gas ends up in the oil, you have not burned off all the condensation, and you have not blown that fresh layer of carbon out.

My 951 will not see another snowflake (after 2 years of year round duty), but I will run it on nice winter days, when the roads are somewhat clean.

I would do the same with my bike, but an hour ride (what I should do) would turn me into a frozen rope. About 20 minutes is all I could do. I just might!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:03 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Chris_924s:
<strong>sauerkraut- you are braver than me.. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">yea english cars require a strong stomach....to say the least heeheh
Old 01-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Probesport
Racer

I don't store my 944, but I store my Probe every year. I used to start it up & drive it once a month, then I just thought it better to leave it for some of the same reasons Perry stated. One cold start is better than six. I pull the car in the garage, put it where I want it, drain coolant & water and add 50/50 mix of coolant/water then drain & change to fresh oil run for a few then turn it off. I don't disconnect the battery either. At any time I could go and drive the car but I hold back until spring.

It is fine every year. When I think of how long the car is down for during maintenence or upgrades the few months of winter is nothing
Old 01-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought fuel injection would mean it burns pretty clean even at idle. No?

Quick Reply: How many of you run your stored cars?