Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Alarm Control Unit - Ever Change One?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Factory Alarm Control Unit - Ever Change One?

It's looking like the starting problem in my S2 is caused by a faulty Alarm Control Unit. I'm told that the car wouldn't start at all by bridging the DME relay poles if the problem were caused by the crank sensor, so that can't be it because the car runs great with the bridge.

My question is WHERE is the alarm control unit? I'm told somewhere beneath the glove box, but for U.S. models with airbags, I'm guessing it's under the passenger side floorboard, with the DME?

TIA
Old 01-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Turby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup your right............which alarm do you have? the Quarterpanel one, or the latter where it engages when you lock the door and has the flashing lock? They are in the same spot, but are diffrent.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:17 PM
MadMax
Pro

Luis,
Your alarm brain and central locking unit are both located under the passenger foot board. There are two unit and the are interconnected. If you have the 968 shop manual you will see the schematic for the 968 alarm/central locking unit. The S2 used the same units as Porsche used on the 968. When it comes to electrical items the S2 is half 968. It is necessary to acquire a set of 968 shop manuals in order to correctly trouble shoot S2 electrical problems.

I have emailed you the schematic of the alarm/central locking units plug assignments just in case you don't already have it.

Max
Old 01-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

I have the quarter panel alarm. Im wondering how hard it would be to change it over to the one that activates by the locks. As it is now, not only do I hate the look of that lock in the quarter panel, my alarm doesnt sound off if the car is opened. All I get is a clicking sound from where the alarm is located under the passenger floor board. Sure would be nice to have the one that activates by the lock.

Turby,

what brand splitter is that in your avatar?

Mark
Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Max

Thanks so much for sending the schematics. I only have the 944 and Turbo Supplement manuals on disc and they aren't much help to diagnose electrical issues, like you said.

Hopefully I can change the alarm control unit out myself!

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Turby
Banned

You cannot change alarm systems....it would be too difficult....As for the clicking, behind your battery is the alarm horn, check to see if the wires are cut. the splitter is A.I.R.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

The alarm control unit arrived at the dealer this week, and it appears to be a plug-in replacement, but I'm still not sure where to find it on the car.

I've seen photos of the DME location under the passenger side floor board, but don't know where to look for the alarm control box. It's supposed to connect to a blue colored plug.

TIA
Old 01-29-2003, 01:12 PM
bf95cab
Instructor

Go to the passenger footwell, and go as far forward as possible. Pull the rug from the Velcro attachments. There is a wooden board there. Remove it. Then there is a metal frame. One flat, large nylon screw each corner at the top, one normal metal screw at each corner at the bottom. After removing the screws you have to wrestle with the frame a little, but will be able to lay it down flat. The brain is on the back, and is easy to replace.
I have pictures at home, and will try to remember to post them tonight.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

bf95cab,

I got impatient and gave it a shot with some pics I found on a site about chip replacements.

Your post is quite precise, now that I've just done it. The trick is that the alarm control unit is attached to a large bracket BEHIND the DME, which is why I couldn't see it in the pictures I found.

Replaced the alarm control unit, popped the DME relay back in, and now the car FINALLY starts!

Thanks to all who replied.

Quick Reply: Factory Alarm Control Unit - Ever Change One?