Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Crank Bolt Reverse Threaded??? PLZ HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Whelan_Fast44
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 Crank Bolt Reverse Threaded??? PLZ HELP!!!

Ok, I need to know if the Crankshaft bolt is reverse threaded or not on my 83 944 N/A.. My oil Filter came loose after oil change. had to re tighten it. that night my car starts "Tapping" in the valves and oil pressure reads 0.. Re installed OPRV and alligned it. changed oil filter again. No oil pressure. am thinking I need to re prime the oil pump. think that when the oil filter came loose it allowed the oil pump to suck air into it and lost it's "Prime"... does this sound right to anyone else?? should I pull off the oil pump and pack it with vasoline to re prime it? I need to know the direction to turn my crank bolt to loosen it. I NEED my Car!!! PLEASE HELP, Daily Driver to work. Cannot drive it like it is. Do Not want to ruin my motor. ~Jeremy
Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
StraightSix
Intermediate

The crank bolt is not reverse thread.

I can't possibly imagine that packing the oil pump with vaseline would in any way be a good idea. The oil pump wasn't designed to pump something that is semi-solid. The factory manual says nothing about priming the oil pump in the section on engine lubrication.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Whelan_Fast44
AutoX

Could maybe my oil pump be out? what could cause complete loss of oil pressure?? No Blow by (no smoke), No oil leak, Re installed and re alligned OPRV. No oil to top end. Ran fine earlier that day. STILL runs fine. just don't want to run it with valves tapping. ANY suggestions?? Anyone? I DO drive it some what hard, but was not giving it high revs this day.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Whelan_Fast44
AutoX

I just know that working on older cars such as my old Mustang. That was the norm for priming oil pumps. Vasoline. wasn't sure on my Porsche, am some what a newbie. Figured I'd ask. Thank you for your input StraightSix.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM
StraightSix
Intermediate

It seems that the vaseline method has been used to with success on lots of other engines, although I haven't ever heard it. I got a bunch of hits on google supporting that it works.

I don't know if that method of oil pump priming would work on a 944, however.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't believe your oil pump lost prime from an oil change The crank bolt is not reverse threaded but does need to be torqued to 150 ft lbs (IIRC). Check Clarks Garage for oil pump priming and hints on mo oil pressure. Also, do a search in this forum. You might pop up someone who has had this problem in the past. GL!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Marajit
Instructor

Try removing the oil filter, pour oil down the center hole while rotating the crankshaft in the counter-clockwise to prime the oil pump. Then install a new oil filter. . Then start the car to see if you have oil pressure.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-03.htm
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Whelan_Fast44
AutoX

What is the probability that I may have spun a rod bearing? If it is that, Do I need a lift to remove the cross member or can it be done on ramps and/or jack stands? Why would it all of a sudden while driving lose all pressure? could the pick up tube have cracked out of nowhere like that? I try'd removing the plugs and cranking i for about 20 Seconds to prime the oil pump which did not fix my problem. Will try the suggestion from clarks garage by removing the filter and pouring oil down the center hole while turning the crank backwards in the counter-clockwise direction. Anyone have any other suggestions? I appreciate everyone's help. I don't know what I would do without you guys. ~Jeremy Whelan
Old 04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I once had to crank my engine for almost 2 minutes to get oil pressure (using 10-15 second bursts of cranking to avoid over-heating the starter). I think 20 seconds alone isn't necessarily going to be enough.

What work have you done on the engine, before this problem started?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Parra
1st Gear

Default Vacuum pump

Originally Posted by Whelan_Fast44
Anyone have any other suggestions? I appreciate everyone's help. I don't know what I would do without you guys. ~Jeremy Whelan
The oil pump has definitely lost its prime. You can prime the oil pump by sucking the air out with a vacuum pump. See photo's. I used a Midlock vacuum pump which also can be used for brake bleeding. Have a try. Within 3 seconds cranking the oil pressure was back.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Whelan_Fast44
AutoX

Well I had a fricken piece of crap STP filter on it because "AUTOZONE" said it was all they had for my car. After that happened. I immediately Checked all the local parts stores and the ONLY one that had anything OTHER than STP for my car had to order it. NO BODY could get Mahle or Bosche or OEM PORSCHE for my car. The STP had a check valve, I guess it failed. I ordered a Wix Filter with a Guarantee from the owner of the store that the check Valve on it would work good and has stood by this brand for 15 years. SO What I've done so far IS: Changed oil and Filter again went from OEM to Castrol 5W50 Syntec With STP filter Less than a week and BAM I stopped to show my buddy my motor and saw the oil filter pushed up off the mount about an 1/8 - 1/4 Inch and oil was freely pouring out. (NO TAPPING AT THIS TIME) I re tightened it immediately and checked my oil and it was only a half a quart low. No biggy, Got some more. THEN about 4 hours later I Was Revving up to maybe about 4 1/2 5 at the most only momentarily (DID NOT RED LINE OR HIT LIMITER) in a parking lot sitting still to dog on some honda's and maybe 5 minutes later almost home My Valves start Tapping loudly. I pulled over. Turned off my car, Called my buddy, pulled it to my house and parked it. NOW I changed the oil again, to Valvoline Full Synthetic 20w50 and the WIX filter. (IS NOT AN OPEN FILTER!! HAS CHECK VALVE). That did not work. So I Removed the Oil Cooler Housing and Cleaned it then Re aligned it and re installed OPRV. I did not see any shimmies so I am assuming that the older style does not require them? That did not work either. So I try'd to drop my oil pan and was stopped by the cross member so I will try that later if I cannot fix it. I removed the spark plugs and cranked it over for about 20-30 seconds and THAT did not work so once again I removed the plugs and filter and try'd pouring oil down the center hole on the filter mount while cranking the Motor counter clockwise at the crank bolt as recommended by clarks garage. THAT did not work either. Now I see these pictures of Parra (Thank You by the way Parra) using a vacuum pump to pull the air out of the oil pump but they used the SMALL hole on the oil filter mount NOT the middle one. so I'll try that tomorrow. THAT is what I have and have NOT done. oh yeah and the crank bolt is tight (Extremely Tight) any other Ideas?? Thanks guys. ~Jeremy Whelan

Quick Reply: 944 Crank Bolt Reverse Threaded??? PLZ HELP!!!