Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Paint Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Stephen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be a little more work , but trust me you will like bc/cc better then a single stage .For pearls and Metallics they look much cleaner and they are much more durable in the long run.Beautifull car!
Old 02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Dan, unlike possibly some vendors here that get flamed on occasion in a public forum, I have no reason to take the discussion to email, other than respect for Scott who started this thread about his paintjob.
The fact that even since you brought this up here, I haven't to the minute recieved an off forum message from you suggest that you'd rather discuss it here anyway.
The last email you sent me was on 1-11-03, nearly a month ago, far from the "I've been trying to contact you like crazy"...
Second I NEVER take payment until a service has been provided, so to be fair, I never asked you for anything before you recieved your head.
Also I think you'll find (if you ask your dad to check) that the check you sent from him after your head with the miniature 944 (thanks again) was neither cashed nor deposited.
From our past discussions on other issues with your car that I have helped with and never asked for any compensation you should be aware that this is not my sole means of income, to the contrary I never represented myself as a Porsche only business. There are many long term members here who could affirm that I'm not "out to get" anyone.
I hold you in high regard as a person Dan and would like to continue a friendship with you in the future, so just post here what it is that you want me to do. Since I think you'll find that I have yet to be compensated for reasons mentioned above (my choosing) I'd rather send either an unmolested lower mileage head for John to do himself, or your head, not yet completed at NO charge.
Your call.

I beg forgiveness to the members of the forum for taking up space here for this matter but this seems the only way for Dan to get in touch with me.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Ski, yeah i remember when my son was 4 yrs.

I'm not sure if black's required sealer is white or not but there's a lookup table that I can check for you.

The main reasons I'm partial to SS is that 1) the mil thickness has an affect on the likelyhood of a stone even making a chip in the first place. 2) if you were to experience minor damage or scratches, repairs are more easily made by addressing only an area rather that having to reclear an entire panel or blending paint to the next to attempt a match since most clears yellow to different degrees over time. 3) resale value, original paint etc.
I feel your pain on the white chips showing though and the chances are that in your case some of the chips may have only compromised the clearcoat and not the paint itself.
btw: is Imron still available here in the US,..?
I thought the DEQ banned use of that particular paint...

Cheers
Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Terry,
My last post was in no way meant as an attack on your behalf, as I gather from your tone you have taken it that way. I was just stating facts on what has happened so far. I also emailed you 4 days ago prior to this post and about a week prior to that one, again no response from you yet. You also knew I had an engine being built by John that is why I sent the head out so early so you would have plenty of time to complete it. It would have been nice to have an occasional update email from you on the situation, that way I would have known what was going on, instead of this one way of emails I was sending you. Obviously you have not received my messages as I know you have had email problems in the past. When I originally sent the head out, you said it would be done in about a month. I have no means in turning this into a childish argument over something that was simply miscommunication, because I also respect our friendship. The problem with sending an unfinished head to John is that he will charge me to put it together. How much more time do you need Terry to complete my head, or complete a head of similar configuration?
Old 02-05-2003, 02:48 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Bill, you're not far off on the candy apple comparison.
Those paints used a more transparent coat of color over a base of gold or silver to get a similar affect.
The nature of the 3 stage process made repairs even more complicated and modern paints use pearls mixed into the base to get a similar look but cutting out one of the previously necessary steps to candy.

regards

Quick Reply: New Paint Pictures