Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey 944na owners interested in superchargers, read this

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 12:52 PM
daly944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as the tranny conversion goes, they had a really sweet ferrari that they were devoting all their time to, an f50 to be exact, and that car took longer than expected I guess they had to test drive it a lot to make sure that it was in good mechanical condition
Old 08-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Ryan Z.
Intermediate

Talking

I'm interested.....as long as it's an understandable and safe kit for me(the partly DIYer) and my engine. I'll save up my lunch money and plug one of those babies in there! :
Old 08-15-2001, 01:36 PM
daly944
Instructor

your engine won't have any problems, especially if you only run like 4-5psi. If you wanna run more, a couple mods, like a water injector and lowering teh compression ratio a tad, will make it perfectly safe to do so.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:12 PM
daly944
Instructor

Ok, those of you who leave anywhere near Austin, please listen up:

I have talked to many of the people on the pelican parts board very interested in this conversion, and I am talking to one early model 944 owner who may bring his car to Austin and be the "guinea pig". I think that it would be best to also have a late model 944 owner go there just to ensure compatbility with all model years.

If you are interested, then listen to this:
If you are the guniea pig, you will only be charged for expenses from the parts, all labor and whatnot will be done free of charge.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:13 PM
synae
Intermediate

Sorry for the newb questions, but what exactly -IS- a supercharger .. and is it wise/safe to install on a daily driver?
Old 08-15-2001, 04:25 PM
daly944
Instructor

A supercharger usually runs of a belt in your engine, which turns a small fan, impeller. This impeller creates positive pressure in your intake forcing more air into your engine. The more air in your engine, matched with more fuel, equals more hp/torque. Supercharging kits have been around forever, and they are seen on many different types of engines, from marine to go carts. They are completely safe if set up properly, and are even safer when you run low boost. If you want to run higher boost for more power, a couple mods, like lowering compression, will allow you to do so safely. The advantage of a supercharger over a turbocharger is that a turbocharger is has a fan too, but it is powered by exhaust gases. That is why you get "turbo Lag", the exhaust needs to get moving from idle fast enough to speed up the fan, whereas the supercharger is running off the engine belt, so when you floor it, that power is ready on demand. There are many types of superchargers, i.e. roots/twin screw, centrifugal, but I don't wanna get in to all that crap, and I don't think that you wanna hear it. If you do, email me and I'll explain it to you.

As for the is it wise part, you won't lose any gas mileage unless you floor it every second that you are driving the car, and it does not put any excess strain on the engine if you are smart and don't run high boost without some mods. Finally, the one thing you must do to keep it safe is crank up the fuel inlet by either 3 or 6 percent on your dme. This way, you don't run the risk of going lean, so you don't have to worry about messing up your engine. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:28 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

i'm interested. please keep us informed of any headway you make on this project. i am interested in availabilty, pricing and any data necessary for installation. keep up the good work daly.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:38 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

daly, sounds like you are getting a better reaction over here than over at pelican. I would be interested in one if I had an n/a, but I don't . Otherwise, I would probably want one, but I have been thinking of this ported turbo convertible RX-7 project for the last few days and how I could make it work, very well, for less than $3000, so my heart and money are elsewhere. Good luck...keep us all posted.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:12 PM
synae
Intermediate

Cool.. thanks for the info on supercharger
Old 08-15-2001, 10:42 PM
Steven
Instructor

Put me down as being very interested.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:09 AM
daly944
Instructor

Ribs: its kind of strange how the people at the pelican parts board always give me the old "sell it and buy a turbo respons", damn i hate that. The only person to say that on this board so far is Eric, and HE WILL PAY FOR THAT!!!
just kidding
the people there are also always saying that any performance mod to a 944na is a waste of money, strange how all the people saying these things are you 951 owners, are you just trying to drive up your resale value or something??? Once again, only kidding.

Wow, I really need to find a better use of my time than hanging around these boards and playing with these damn smilies, but you have to admit, they do kick @$$. Anyway, school starts monday, damn.

anyway, I will of course keep you all updated with the facts as the are available to me.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:55 AM
Mike 89 NA
Instructor

I'm interested as well, it will be a while before my 968 powered 87 944S hits the road so more power for my 83 would be great. Recently I have toyed with the idea of selling it and buying a Turbo or S2, but I have so much invested in the car I'd take a serious financial hit, plus I was going to give it to my wife when the 87 is done! Keep us posted.

Mike
Old 08-16-2001, 12:26 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

So you guys are looking at $3K to 4k. If I remember correctly, the Huntley unit for the S2 is in the $5K neighborhood. It sounds like you guys will be getting a good deal.

It sure would be nice to see something available for the N/A cars. Not only would it make it nicer for the street, it would make for a fairly inexpensive track car.

I would really like to see one of these systems developed for us 16 valvers, but right now I can not put my money where my mouth is. But if you think to mention the development of a 16 valver kit to them…….
Old 08-16-2001, 12:45 PM
daly944
Instructor

Ok all you interested, listen up:
Mark said that the project is a go, all they need is that test car, and it will be underway. Please, anyone near Austin, speak up. Thanks.
brendan.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:02 PM
daly944
Instructor

Also, for anyone who wants to be the test car, but is worried about being without his car for a while, read this:

As soon as we can confirm a test car we can start. I only need the car
for a few hours initially, then a few more initially, then a day or so.
These intervals can be a week/two weeks apart, no biggie. It'll be drivable
between trips to see me.

Mark.

Quick Reply: hey 944na owners interested in superchargers, read this