Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a supercharger on an S2 (or 968)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 AM
nzporsche944s2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Eric - take the plunge! install a SC then I can come and see how you did and do it to my S2 lol
Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Hi Peter. Is the Vitesse piggyback part of the Vitesse MAF kit? Is it set up just to adjust the signal from the MAF? Presumably the 968 kit (unlike the S2 kit) doesn't contain a MAF as it uses the 968 MAF.

When I spoke with Vitesse they indicated they could provide an S2 MAF and have it tuned to suit a supercharger with a given psi out of the box. That seemed ambitious to me, as I would have thought that sort of installation would only work through live tuning on a dyno. Perhaps that only applied to the initial tune? I have heard a lot of positive things about Vitesse, but I guess I'm missing some details, and it's in my nature to question everything and require evidence - comes with being an engineer I guess.

Have you found it has taken a lot of tuning to get it right?
The Vitesse MAF kit does not need a PiggyBack, it's a genuine MAF conversion where the DME's software is converted to understand a MAF signal. It's a plug-and-play, we get you 95-98% on target. (As Peter already posted based on his experience).
Since, no 2 engines are alike, we offer the PB to allow the user to fine tune his car the extra 3-5% to get the most out of the engine.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
The DME is running in limp mode, retarded timing and conservative fuel map.
How do you know the DME is running in limp mode? Is the check engine light on?

When going to a forced induction setup, the MAF or AFM sensors generate a different voltage than when in NA form. Both 944S2 and 968 will detect this (as well as other conditions), and will trigger limp mode. It is possible to be in limp mode without having the check engine light come on. I personally do not consider limp mode ignition and fueling to be safe for a forced induction application.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
Back when I was running the Apexi unit that SFR supplied as a piggy back the car would run with the CEL on and have a surging idle with poor fuel milage. It ran this way with the MAF plugged in or unplugged. Plus no matter what I did to the settings on the Apexi nothing would change on my Zeitronix readings. The CEL was for a MAF fault and I verified that the wiring for the MAF relocation was correct and the wiring installation for the Apexi was correct for the wiring directions supplied.

I have since gone away from the Apexi and went with a second hand SMT6 and have been attempting to tune a map myself. It is close but still not perfect, but much better than before. It just needs a little more tuning.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

John,
Back when I was running the Apexi unit that SFR supplied as a piggy back the car would run with the CEL on and have a surging idle with poor fuel milage. It ran this way with the MAF plugged in or unplugged. Plus no matter what I did to the settings on the Apexi nothing would change on my Zeitronix readings. The CEL was for a MAF fault and I verified that the wiring for the MAF relocation was correct and the wiring installation for the Apexi was correct for the wiring directions supplied.

I have since gone away from the Apexi and went with a second hand SMT6 and have been attempting to tune a map myself. It is close but still not perfect, but much better than before. It just needs a little more tuning.
The software checks many paramters, one of which is the AFM/MAF. This is done all over the place (under various load and RPM). Some will trigger a CEL some will not. The only way to handle this is via software.

The PB will help, but you could still trigger a fail safe mode. The fail safe with CEL are easy to identify, however the undocumented where no CEL is triggered are the ones to worry about.
With the correct software, the PiggyBack should only be used for minor fine tuning.

BTW. The initial CEL problem you encountered has nothing to do with the wiring.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

Been a log time, but still keen on sorting out a Supercharger installation next year. Did you ever figure out why the Apexi wasn't working? I would think that when you buy a kit for $6k you would get something than ran better than what you are describing.

Also, any ideas what actually causes the ECU to run in limp mode - ie. what signal actually causes the ECU to run in limp mode? If the MAF is calibrated to the AFM voltages, the ECU shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Quick Reply: Who has a supercharger on an S2 (or 968)?